Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

my dad is unconvinced of the uses of ham and still thinks that old farts in whitey tighties sit in there basement using it. basically if i cant convince him to let me go than i cant go. maybe the liscence plate fee would convince him. sorry but gotta listen to him. he should be at the next meeting so anyone wanting to help me convince him then it would be appreciated :D

bvb

Looks like I'll be able to hang around town for the class. I'm going to work on getting the book! Let me know if anything changes.

bvb

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
my dad is unconvinced of the uses of ham and still thinks that old farts in whitey tighties sit in there basement using it. basically if i cant convince him to let me go than i cant go. maybe the liscence plate fee would convince him. sorry but gotta listen to him. he should be at the next meeting so anyone wanting to help me convince him then it would be appreciated :D
Waitjustadoggoneminit. You listen to your DAD??!?! :confused:

:lmao:
FWIW, I wear boxers. Most days. TMI.

And my radio will be in my truck. I go where there is no cell coverage and if a breakdown occurs it might be a very LONG hike out or a very UNPLEASANT unplanned overnight - or several - so that is why I am taking the class and now have a radio. Not to mention weather, and natural/manmade disasters.

See if that floats his boat.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

:lmao:
FWIW, I wear boxers. Most days. TMI.

And my radio will be in my truck. I go where there is no cell coverage and if a breakdown occurs it might be a very LONG hike out or a very UNPLEASANT unplanned overnight - or several - so that is why I am taking the class and now have a radio. Not to mention weather, and natural/manmade disasters.

See if that floats his boat.

Good on you Chili! As much as I didn't want another expensive hobby I have really enjoyed listening and ragchewing with others all over the front range. I have yet to talk to any RS'ers but I have spied on them for a couple months. Ham radio definitely has it's place in our hobby/world but I have no doubt that CB will remain the main communication venue. I have been several places already in the hills where I had no cell coverage but could still pick up folks in Longmont and Thornton on the ham like they were right behind me on the trail with the squelch cranked way up. It is nice to have communication at your finger tips with out the typical noise of skip from Mexico breaking through the squelch. Ham does have an annoying interference of repeaters beeping out Morse coded ID's every 10 minutes breaking the silence that makes them so appealing. I will say that it has already become appearant that I/we have been missing out by not having this communication sooner! I have no plans on setting up a base station but an HT and getting my wife a Tech license will be in my future!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

FYI: Rogue Leader is one of our younger members, living at home and going to High School.

ya what hulk said. maybe if i can buy him some scotch or :beer:. oh wait im not old enough to buy alchol. hmmmm

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
FYI: Rogue Leader is one of our younger members, living at home and going to High School.
Yeah, I knew that ... but all the more amazingly he listens to his DAD??!?! :confused::rolleyes:

:hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If dad pays the bills, well...

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
New HAM.

Has anyone spied this callsign KDØCLY in our forum yet? Look hard and you may see it.

Last year Brian(Seldom Seen) took his test just after the first of the three classes and passed with like 98% and he joked it was because of the class being that good. I haven't even given the class yet and a student has already passed!

Welcome, sir. Are you going to check in tonight? 145.145 MhZ, 9:00PM.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
^I just saw that myself. Slipped in under the radar, huh?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Has anyone spied this callsign KDØCLY in our forum yet? Look hard and you may see it.

Yeah, he thinks he's been so coy, but the writing was on the wall. You could see it coming despite what Mr. CLY said. I guess some of the rest of the hold outs like me are now the :zilla:s :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Reasons the End of the World is near:
  • Red Sox won a World Series
  • Rockies MADE it into a World Series
  • Chargers win a playoff game
  • Toyota overtakes Ford for domestic sales
  • Those Geico Cavemen got a TV show
  • Major League Baseball acknowledged steroid use
  • Adam Sandler keeps making movies
  • Britney Spears is moving to Denver
  • Uncle Ben gets a ham license

Last edited:

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Just got off the phone with a VE coordinator. We have a tentative GO for them to come to the last class (Feb 25th) and admin the test. :cheers::thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Britney's moving to Denver? :eek:

edit: oh great, and in the same hood as my in-laws..

Sunday, January 6, 2008
Rumor Alert - Britney Spears moving to Cherry Creek North

It has been reported that Britney Spears has put a $2.2 million deposit on a property in Cherry Creek North and is looking at rehab centers in Estes Park. Is she preparing to put roots down in Denver?

If so, this is great news for local Starbucks and convenience stores. It's also probably great news for businesses in Cherry Creek North. I could definitely see her walking around and blowing a lot of money in those boutiques and galleries. Perhaps Larimer Square too?

I'll keep an eye on this story.
http://www.thedenverblog.com/2008/01/rumor-alert-britney-spears-moving-to.html

wesintl

RS Moderator
all the more amazingly [/I]he listens to his DAD??!?! :confused::rolleyes:

:hill:

just because he listens doesn't mean he's following orders. You should know that by now :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Good on you Chili! As much as I didn't want another expensive hobby I have really enjoyed listening and ragchewing with others all over the front range. I have yet to talk to any RS'ers but I have spied on them for a couple months. Ham radio definitely has it's place in our hobby/world but I have no doubt that CB will remain the main communication venue. I have been several places already in the hills where I had no cell coverage but could still pick up folks in Longmont and Thornton on the ham like they were right behind me on the trail with the squelch cranked way up. It is nice to have communication at your finger tips with out the typical noise of skip from Mexico breaking through the squelch. Ham does have an annoying interference of repeaters beeping out Morse coded ID's every 10 minutes breaking the silence that makes them so appealing. I will say that it has already become appearant that I/we have been missing out by not having this communication sooner! I have no plans on setting up a base station but an HT and getting my wife a Tech license will be in my future!

Is this Kevin talking? I'm confused. He already got his license? And he's so polite.

Convert

Hard Core 4+

Last year Brian(Seldom Seen) took his test just after the first of the three classes and passed with like 98% and he joked it was because of the class being that good. I haven't even given the class yet and a student has already passed!

Welcome, sir. Are you going to check in tonight? 145.145 MhZ, 9:00PM.

Yup caught it on Friday looks like the Cat is out of the bag :thumb:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have a question, I am sure it has been answered before somewhere but no luck on the search. Do you get to pick your own call sign or is it assigned? Another question I just thought of, once we take this class and test we are "legal" to use a radio. What is next? I heard talk of different levels etc. engineer I believe or Tech license, what or why are these needed or are you OK with the standard level of certification?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I have a question, I am sure it has been answered before somewhere but no luck on the search. Do you get to pick your own call sign or is it assigned? Another question I just thought of, once we take this class and test we are "legal" to use a radio. What is next? I heard talk of different levels etc. engineer I believe or Tech license, what or why are these needed or are you OK with the standard level of certification?

Call signs are issued by FCC and are randomly generated. You can request a vanity call later if you want. You take a test of 35 multiple choice questions and if you pass in around 2 weeks your call sign will show up on the FCC data base. You cannot transmit until you have a call sign but of course you can listen. Go to the QRZ.com web site and play with the practice tests and see how you do! If you do it enough you will learn the questions and start passing the sample test easier. I did that and I also have two books here I read to help understand. The tests really are quite easy once you get into the mindset! The levels are Technician, General, Extra. You do not need to learn Morse code for tech and that license will probably be all you will need unless you want to get into it deeper (more privileges).