Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have a question, I am sure it has been answered before somewhere but no luck on the search. Do you get to pick your own call sign or is it assigned? Another question I just thought of, once we take this class and test we are "legal" to use a radio. What is next? I heard talk of different levels etc. engineer I believe or Tech license, what or why are these needed or are you OK with the standard level of certification?

Once you have your randomly assigned callsign from the FCC, you may request a "vanity" callsign to something you desire. Many people use their first callsign their entire career with HAM, and others change callsigns every 5-10 years. Vanity callsigns do have some stipulations such as a)is the callsign currently in use, or b)what level of license you have. Callsigns are given that have from 1-2 letters as the prefix, followed by a number and then from 1-3 more letters as the suffix. Examples: WØDW(1 x 2 callsign), WØIIN(1 x 3 callsign), ZF2KN(2 x 2 callsign), KDØCLY(2 x 3 callsign). The first letter and number indicate the call is in the USA(first letter) and then where in the USA(Number). The ZF2KN call is Bruce Miller's in the Cayman Islands. Technician class licensee's are limited to at least 1 x 3 and 2 x 3 callsigns with the letters K or W as the prefix. The number can be changed no matter where you are in the country. It is only really important when doing contesting for how many states you can make contact with, that way people calling your callsign know where you are at.

As a newly licensed HAM operator, like UB said, you must wait untill the FCC issues you your callsing to transmit. Before that time you can listen, buy equipment, join clubs, just no transmitting. Big fines are imposed for those who do, and normally the community polices the air pretty well.

The three levels are, again as UB said, Technician, General and Extra. As of current, the morse code requirements that used to be in place for General and Extra classes of license are no longer in effect. Technician class is generally limited to VHF(2M) and UHF(70CM). They do have privelages on HF(10M), but until the sunspot cycle comes back into swing in a couple of years, that band is usually pretty dead(we'll learn a little about that stuff in the class, its called Propogation). VHF and some UHF is what is used in the rigs we go wheeling in.

Call signs are issued by FCC and are randomly generated. You can request a vanity call later if you want. You take a test of 35 multiple choice questions and if you pass in around 2 weeks your call sign will show up on the FCC data base. You cannot transmit until you have a call sign but of course you can listen. Go to the QRZ.com web site and play with the practice tests and see how you do! If you do it enough you will learn the questions and start passing the sample test easier. I did that and I also have two books here I read to help understand. The tests really are quite easy once you get into the mindset! The levels are Technician, General, Extra. You do not need to learn Morse code for tech and that license will probably be all you will need unless you want to get into it deeper (more privileges).

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I did not realize that Morse code was dropped from General and Extra. With CW dropped what would be the advantage of an Extra cert?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I did not realize that Morse code was dropped from General and Extra. With CW dropped what would be the advantage of an Extra cert?
More band privileges. General Class gives you 160, 30, 17, 12, and 10 meter bands and some parts of the 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter bands. Extra gives you full access to all bands.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Nathaniel, I totally overlooked that post. I knew I had seen something like that but could not find it for the life of me. Great info, looks like I may have to go to B&N and pick up a book or two and check out the practice test.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben,

What books did you get? I want to get a head start on reading them as I lack time at night. Thanks for the link to the practice tests, I like studying that way :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben,

What books did you get? I want to get a head start on reading them as I lack time at night. Thanks for the link to the practice tests, I like studying that way :rolleyes:

I learned the test by studying "Technician Class" by Gordon West. It is based on memorization of the test answers but unlike the QRZ pool it explains the correct answer. I learned a lot from this book and you or anyone in the club are welcome to borrow it. In fact I will donate it to the club as I am done with it.
The other book I am still reading is an older book but it is filling in many of the blanks that nothing else has answered for me. "All About Ham Radio" by Harry Helms. I got it from Amazon for under $10. I have ordered a couple more books that haven't showed up yet. The Gordon West book really taught me a lot as I would develop questions then scour the web for answers....learned a lot!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I learned the test by studying "Technician Class" by Gordon West. It is based on memorization of the test answers but unlike the QRZ pool it explains the correct answer. I learned a lot from this book and you or anyone in the club are welcome to borrow it. In fact I will donate it to the club as I am done with it.
The other book I am still reading is an older book but it is filling in many of the blanks that nothing else has answered for me. "All About Ham Radio" by Harry Helms. I got it from Amazon for under $10. I have ordered a couple more books that haven't showed up yet. The Gordon West book really taught me a lot as I would develop questions then scour the web for answers....learned a lot!

Thanks for the info, I will see if they have them locally or if I have to order them. I would borrow your copy but since we live on opposite sides it will be easier and faster to buy one.

I am excited about this, I always hated the CB. Hearing people clearly and not having to worry about distance to much is great. Time to crack the books and start studying.

Okay, nOOb (prospective) member here. I would like to take this class, and I've even convinced my wife to consider taking it with me, since it's called the wives class.

RedChili and I are dual sport riding buds, and I've helped him wrench (weld really) on another RS members truck.

May I sign up for two please?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Okay, nOOb (prospective) member here. I would like to take this class, and I've even convinced my wife to consider taking it with me, since it's called the wives class.

RedChili and I are dual sport riding buds, and I've helped him wrench (weld really) on another RS members truck.

Hmmmm....some of Bill friends eh? this will take some discussion.... :rolleyes: ;)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yes, my friends are very nice to me. ;)

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sure!

You may. I will put up Tramontana for 2 seats.

Glad to hear you're interested in both HAM radio and the club.

Don't mind UncleBen, he's still mad:rant: he can't get an 8-track tape player and 8-track tapes for his FZJ80. :lmao: Te amo, :kevin:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
In case I posted in the wrong thread I am in. Thanks for setting this up and making me spend more money ;)

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
*Updated 1-9-08* 25 GTG, 3 Maybes=28 signed-up

I updated the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
Gail +1 (secretary for the state assn.)

Last edited:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel,

You have me on there twice, just a FYI.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
groucho, i'd like to confirm for gail from the state association. she will be attending. thanks ige

Thanks much...

You may. I will put up Tramontana for 2 seats.

Glad to hear you're interested in both HAM radio and the club.

Don't mind UncleBen, he's still mad:rant: he can't get an 8-track tape player and 8-track tapes for his FZJ80. :lmao: Te amo, :kevin:

...I'm so looking forward to the class.

Hey Uncle Ben, I might know where some smokin hot tapes of the Carpenters are. :lmao: