Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

wesintl

RS Moderator
Well, after putting this off for far too long, I am finally ready to get this started.

This will be the second HAM Radio class for the members of Rising Sun. It is primarily geared toward getting the technicians license, focusing on passing the technician written exam, and good/safe operating practices.

This class is open to anyone interested. We called it the "Wives Class" because last summer there were several wives of some of our current HAM operators who expressed an interest in getting their license to be able to use the HAM radios we have in our rigs. Whether communicating to the others in the group, or relaying messages over long distances, it was felt by these folks that it would be benificial to have the $14 license and ability to do so.

This class will be a little different in layout from the first class, wheras the first class was focused on getting people to be licensed HAM operators who were interested in persuing HAM Radio as a primary hobby, this class will focus on how we integrate HAM Radio into 4-wheeling.

We will cover several things that will just be to pass the test, like how the FCC regulates the Amateur Radio section, propogation, electrical theory, etc. We will spend most of our time working on good operating practice, familiarizing ourselves with the radios and antennas, callsigns, station safety and the like. The class content will only be limited on how far we want to push it.

So to let the holidays slow down, and folks get back into the swing of things, this class will be scheduled for February 2008. The class will again be 3, two-hour classes. They will be on Mondays, starting Feb 11th. The three classes will be Feb 11th, Feb 18th and Feb 25th. Classes start at 7pm and will be done by 9pm.

Please post up if you or someone you know is interested in joining us!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Help! Someone has broken into :kevin:'s house, hog tied him up, and is now posting with his login! Stay strong, Uncle Ben, I'm coming right over!!!

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I believe the times will work for me! :thumb:

I knew :kevin: would come to the darkside, because there are cookies here.................Oh sorry wrong thread that was Mini Truck sumthin or other. Welcome UB:thumb:

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Time and dates jive with Heathers sked, so I'm sure she'll be there.

I made contact with a VE team at the JeffCo Ham Fest this summer. If there is enough interest I *might * be able to convince them to come out and admin the test on the last day of the class.

what happened to the other thread?:confused: well im still in

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
I'm in, hoping no snow.

Mike Koons
77 fj40
89 fj62
99 F350

ya just found it. thanks

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I knew :kevin: would come to the darkside, because there are cookies here.................Oh sorry wrong thread that was Mini Truck sumthin or other. Welcome UB:thumb:

Who said I was coming to the dark side? I just figured there would be beer! :rolleyes:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Subscribed. Rumor has it that it's this much fun

Dobi.jpg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Karie is considering it. She definitely wants to get her license, but Mondays are usually a non-starter for her -- she is in the Littleton Symphony, and that is rehearsal night.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm in.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Oh, well, OK... I guess.

:lmao:

Will a handheld fry my brain cells? I can't spare any.

FWIW, I've been ignoring this thread because there's no way my WIFE would be interested in ham.:rolleyes:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Where are the classes going to be?

Will we be able to buy our own radio after this test?

What kind of cost are we looking at for a "simple" set up?

Sorry if these were answered already.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Where are the classes going to be?

Will we be able to buy our own radio after this test?

What kind of cost are we looking at for a "simple" set up?

Sorry if these were answered already.

You can get a radio and even install it at anytime! You just cannot legally talk without a license.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
YEAH Baby! Shake that thang!

Here is what everyone can expect at the HAM Radio wives class! :lmao:

Attachments

• hampimp.jpg
    hampimp.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 242