BillVanBeek(Maybe)
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari

Have I missed anyone?

Oh, and I will confirm if we can use Stevinson Toyota West's meeting room(Regular RS Club meeting place)

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
As for a simple setup...

If I can manage it, I will try to obtain all of the parts to allow everyone who takes the class to make either their own homebrew 2M vertical or J-Pole antenna.

BTW, the radio Hulk shows for $118 I have and will probably never get rid of. Very easy to use, 65W full power, and inexpensive.

For the inexpensive HT, look at this:
VX-150

Hamcity has it for $109, Ham Radio Outlet Has it for $112, both are offering an extra battery. HRO means no shipping, they are at Iliff and just east of Quebec.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Put me down as a possible...Monday's are bad for me though but I'll see if I can swing it :thumb:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I like the price of the system Hulk showed. Does anybody have a portable unit? I was looking online and it seems they have some decent ones for a favorable price. Later on I can add other parts to it like a mic/speaker and external antenna.

I like the idea of being able to take it with me in different trucks and outside of the truck if needed. Are there major drawbacks to them like the portable CB? The other reason is theft, with the 4Runner having a soft top during the summer months and no doors I try to keep temptation low.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
For the inexpensive HT, look at this:
VX-150

Hamcity has it for $109, Ham Radio Outlet Has it for $112, both are offering an extra battery. HRO means no shipping, they are at Iliff and just east of Quebec.

Groucho, is this the one you have? Is this the newish one that is supposed to be very weather-proof?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I like the price of the system Hulk showed. Does anybody have a portable unit? I was looking online and it seems they have some decent ones for a favorable price. Later on I can add other parts to it like a mic/speaker and external antenna.

I like the idea of being able to take it with me in different trucks and outside of the truck if needed. Are there major drawbacks to them like the portable CB? The other reason is theft, with the 4Runner having a soft top during the summer months and no doors I try to keep temptation low.

By "portable" do you really mean a Handheld Tranciever(HT), right? I'm :confused: because the two Hulk showed are "mobile" rigs that get mounted in the vehicle, and are connected to the battery(as opposed to base station rigs which are in your house connected to 110v) . They aren't really "portable" in the sense that they will go in and out of the vehicle in a minute or so. In order for these to be "portable", you need a 13v, minimum 20a power supply, or a small 12 volt (car) battery. The one I showed was a HT which is self contained, battery, antenna and transciever.

Groucho, is this the one you have? Is this the newish one that is supposed to be very weather-proof?

It is not as weather proof as ones like the vx-7r, but it is a stout little HT. Basic, easy to use, 2m only.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I got you on the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew(Maybe)
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek(Maybe)
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar(Maybe)
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Sign me up.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Wesintl,

Im not a Rising Sun member yet, but assume I will be on the not too distant future if you guys will have me. I have registered for Cruise Moab and would like to take your class. Are you OK with this. Amazingly, these dates actually work with my schedule.

-Jeff Hamilton (I was at tonight's meeting)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Jeff,
You don't have to be a club member to come take the class or go to Cruise Moab. You do need to be a TLCA member to go to cruise moab though.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Thanks Ken. I joined TLCA last night and will forward my membership number when I get it. I will be at the Ham class and intend on joining Rising Sun. As you can see from my forum join date I have been lurking a while:)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Karie says she is in.

I'll be home with the kids, so I won't be able to help with the class.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Updated 1-3-08 24 folks lined up!(2 maybes)

I got you on the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile