Official Club Run Rising Sun annual snow run Yankee hill 1/13/2024

C.Gerdo

Rock Stacker
I'm still planning to go, was looking at what to bring since I have very little experience at this.

I have a 3rd gen 4runner with a ~2inch suspension lift, stock size tires (wildpeaks). I will be installing a couple of recovery point anchors this week since I have no tow hooks or anything, although I dont have really any other recovery gear.

I don't have chains, I do have one of those portable dewalt inflaters that will do the job eventually but isn't really designed for airing up/down.

What am I missing in order to participate and not be an idiot?
Recovery points, I would consider as a must have.
Other recovery gear not needed with this size group. There will be more than will be needed.
Bring a shovel.
You won’t need chains.
The dewalt compressor will help, you can always drive to Idaho springs gas station or someone might share. You will want to air down if there is snow.
Come, enjoy and learn.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I'm still planning to go, was looking at what to bring since I have very little experience at this.

I have a 3rd gen 4runner with a ~2inch suspension lift, stock size tires (wildpeaks). I will be installing a couple of recovery point anchors this week since I have no tow hooks or anything, although I dont have really any other recovery gear.

I don't have chains, I do have one of those portable dewalt inflaters that will do the job eventually but isn't really designed for airing up/down.

What am I missing in order to participate and not be an idiot?
Sounds about like me my first time on this trail except I also had my inflation system. You will be in the parking lot for a very long time with that DeWalt tool but as long as my compressor isn't too hot and I'm on your run I'd be willing to help out.. Btw you should have at least one stock recovery hook on the front unless it's been taken off. I actually went to the junkyard and grabbed another one to put on the other side of the front.

WildCrustacean

Wincher
Sounds about like me my first time on this trail except I also had my inflation system. You will be in the parking lot for a very long time with that DeWalt tool but as long as my compressor isn't too hot and I'm on your run I'd be willing to help out.. Btw you should have at least one stock recovery hook on the front unless it's been taken off. I actually went to the junkyard and grabbed another one to put on the other side of the front.
Yeah the DeWalt is painfully slow, but better than nothing.

Unfortunately I have no hooks on the front or the back (or factory tie downs or anything that I could find), who knows where they went. On the front right it looks like somebody just cut off a bolt flush with the frame (and my extraction attempts have so far not succeeded) so I don't have the two holes on that side. The front left is usable and the back is fine, and I have a couple of D ring anchors from 4crawler so I was going to put one on the front and one on the back so I at least have something.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Yeah the DeWalt is painfully slow, but better than nothing.

Unfortunately I have no hooks on the front or the back (or factory tie downs or anything that I could find), who knows where they went. On the front right it looks like somebody just cut off a bolt flush with the frame (and my extraction attempts have so far not succeeded) so I don't have the two holes on that side. The front left is usable and the back is fine, and I have a couple of D ring anchors from 4crawler so I was going to put one on the front and one on the back so I at least have something.
Hmm sounds like they might have gotten yanked off by a PO (maybe dynamic pull on a static strap)? Do they look cut or fractured? Might have also snapped from being rusty? Is your frame pretty clean? You should probably stay another thread on this too not pollute this one but I'd like to help you get that solved if possible. Your aren't the got who bought my OEM bumper on FB are you?

zombie2hundo

Rising Sun Member
Won’t make it this year, need to get my alignment done on the new truck before hitting the hwy. But here are a few fav pics from last years run.
IMG_7655.jpeg
IMG_7654.jpeg
IMG_7652.jpeg
IMG_7653.jpeg

WildCrustacean

Wincher
Hmm sounds like they might have gotten yanked off by a PO (maybe dynamic pull on a static strap)? Do they look cut or fractured? Might have also snapped from being rusty? Is your frame pretty clean? You should probably stay another thread on this too not pollute this one but I'd like to help you get that solved if possible. Your aren't the got who bought my OEM bumper on FB are you?
I didn't buy your bumper, but I do have a non-OEM CV axle that belongs to you that I can bring if you want it back.

I'll get some pictures of the bolt situation and start a different thread on that.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Gerty

Rising Sun Member
I also will not make it this year. Truck is currently hovering in my garage with no axles under it.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I also will not make it this year. Truck is currently hovering in my garage with no axles under it.
I was just tagging you for the pic of your truck ;)

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I will also suggest the Midland GXT1000 2-pack for $90, it served us well until we went to an in-dash unit. They have FRS and for $10 more than the T71 2-pack you get GMRS channels as well. I'm not a huge radio/ham/cb nerd, but wow, the difference between FRS and GMRS is astounding. The club can run FRS for official runs, but if you're out wheeling with buddies use the GRMS for a much better experience. And you'll have two radios - hand one off to your friend who doesn't have GRMS. FWIW I was at the top of Medano Pass (near the gate and info signs) with my in-dash GRMS and the stubby antenna on my roof rack and I was sending & receiving clear communication from buddies in Walsenberg roughly 40 miles away. The handhelds won't do as good, but definitely far better than FRS - and the GXT1000 has both.

https://midlandusa.com/products/gxt1000vp4
Putting on my negative hat:

I had the GXT1000 for a while and absolutely hated them. The most I ever got out of the batteries with 6 hours of mostly just monitoring. I literally threw them in the trash when I moved last time. Hopefully they work better for you in that aspect.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Going to be exciting weather! Pack your 72 hour survival kit.

1704902455564.jpeg

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m going to bow out, we are having dinner with a good friend of mine down In manitou springs sat night. Y’all have fun, stay warm and watch out for that puddle! Lol

WVU fan

Rising Sun Member
I need to bow out as well. Haven’t installed my skids/under armor I got on Black Friday. Started but need to finish

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Still on the calendar and looking forward to it. Group A for me still. If there's an open seat, I'll happily hop in to take pics.

Gonna be a chilly one up there!

:beer: :beer:

RB23

Brand New
A couple of questions?

1) will you call this off if the snow is to heavy or is expected to be? If so, when do you think that would happen?

2) what is the best route from Denver to the meeting spot?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
A couple of questions?

1) will you call this off if the snow is to heavy or is expected to be? If so, when do you think that would happen?

No plan to cancel due to snow. The more snow the better! We prefer fresh powder over hard pack that turns to ice. But if someone does not feel comfortable, please don't feel obligated to go, no one will think less of you. A large part of snow wheeling is getting stuck, it just happens but that is part of the fun.

The best route depends on where you are coming from. I would use a route finder (ie google maps or something) in the morning before leaving as ski traffic on I70 can cause big delays on weekends

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
A couple of questions?

Route 6 heading west out of Golden will take you to 119 that will take you to downtown Central City. From there Eureka street will bring you up to the road we meet on.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Have you had any luck with frs and gmrs being able to talk to each other on ch 20?
Yes, for sure. If you have a GMRS radio, it's no problem to talk to people with FRS radios.

tacomaJoe73

Rising Sun Member
Recovery points, I would consider as a must have.
Other recovery gear not needed with this size group. There will be more than will be needed.
Bring a shovel.
You won’t need chains.
The dewalt compressor will help, you can always drive to Idaho springs gas station or someone might share. You will want to air down if there is snow.
Come, enjoy and learn.
I'll have my onboard air too, in group B.. but accessible by GMRS ID. Just ask!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Looks like high temp for central city got revised to 8.....