Official Club Run Rising Sun annual snow run Yankee hill 1/13/2024

ripeart

Rising Sun Member
Think we'll be all done by 4-5pm? I've got some stuff to get done later on in the day.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Think we'll be all done by 4-5pm? I've got some stuff to get done later on in the day.
The reservation for Beau Jo's is at 4pm but you can bail out whenever you need to during the run

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Well I'm fully in now although I might switch to B, we will see. Tru got my alignment back in shape this morning and everything looks good with tie rod and knuckle on the side that hit the guardrail. Managed to get specs great and wheel back to straight. Will probably have a passenger and maybe a dog on the run with me, we shall see. Also I picked up some radios last night so I have a spare if anyone needs one.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
For all the new folks going on this run, the Rising Sun official method of communication is FRS radio, not GMRS radio (similar to FRS but requires a license) or CB radio (which has mostly been retired at this point).

It is not required to have an FRS radio but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED so you can hear what's happening on the trail in front of you and participate in the fun conversation of a Rising Sun run.

You do not need an expensive FRS radio. The inexpensive Midland handheld radios are what most of use, and they work great. Here are some options:
  • Here is a 2-pack of Midland T51 radios that you can get on Amazon for $50. These are powered by AAA batteries which is less desirable IMO, but they are inexpensive.
  • Here is a 2-pack of Midland T71 radios that you can get on Amazon for $80. These come with rechargeable batteries and can be plugged in with a cable in your vehicle if you need a little juice on the trail (you don't have to use the desktop charger). These work great and you can get them quickly from Amazon. This is the radio that many, many people in Rising Sun use on trail runs. Recommended!
Any FRS radio will work. If you have one that works, then there is no need to buy a new one.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
For all the new folks going on this run, the Rising Sun official method of communication is FRS radio, not GMRS radio (similar to FRS but requires a license) or CB radio (which has mostly been retired at this point).

It is not required to have an FRS radio but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED so you can hear what's happening on the trail in front of you and participate in the fun conversation of a Rising Sun run.

You do not need an expensive FRS radio. The inexpensive Midland handheld radios are what most of use, and they work great. Here are some options:
  • Here is a 2-pack of Midland T51 radios that you can get on Amazon for $50. These are powered by AAA batteries which is less desirable IMO, but they are inexpensive.
  • Here is a 2-pack of Midland T71 radios that you can get on Amazon for $80. These come with rechargeable batteries and can be plugged in with a cable in your vehicle if you need a little juice on the trail (you don't have to use the desktop charger). These work great and you can get them quickly from Amazon. This is the radio that many, many people in Rising Sun use on trail runs. Recommended!
Any FRS radio will work. If you have one that works, then there is no need to buy a new one.
Best Buy also has a deal for a 2 pack of cobra rechargeable radios for 89. They have twice the battery size as the Midland ones and it has 60 channels of FRS and GMRS (and you don't need a license if you are 2w or less which these are 2w).

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member

I will also suggest the Midland GXT1000 2-pack for $90, it served us well until we went to an in-dash unit. They have FRS and for $10 more than the T71 2-pack you get GMRS channels as well. I'm not a huge radio/ham/cb nerd, but wow, the difference between FRS and GMRS is astounding. The club can run FRS for official runs, but if you're out wheeling with buddies use the GRMS for a much better experience. And you'll have two radios - hand one off to your friend who doesn't have GRMS. FWIW I was at the top of Medano Pass (near the gate and info signs) with my in-dash GRMS and the stubby antenna on my roof rack and I was sending & receiving clear communication from buddies in Walsenberg roughly 40 miles away. The handhelds won't do as good, but definitely far better than FRS - and the GXT1000 has both.

https://midlandusa.com/products/gxt1000vp4

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm in for Group B:) Also, is this a we bringin chains kinda thing or living the 5 psi life?
Up to you. Most will be airing down. Some bring chains. You can always toss the chains on later if you have them along

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I’ve never tried it but appears the gmrs can talk to frs on channel 20.
462.6750 MHz
Here's the whole chart of frequencies for GMRS and FRS.

C.Gerdo

Rock Stacker
Here's the whole chart of frequencies for GMRS and FRS.
Have you had any luck with frs and gmrs being able to talk to each other on ch 20?

WildCrustacean

Wincher
I'm still planning to go, was looking at what to bring since I have very little experience at this.

I have a 3rd gen 4runner with a ~2inch suspension lift, stock size tires (wildpeaks). I will be installing a couple of recovery point anchors this week since I have no tow hooks or anything, although I dont have really any other recovery gear.

I don't have chains, I do have one of those portable dewalt inflaters that will do the job eventually but isn't really designed for airing up/down.

What am I missing in order to participate and not be an idiot?