Ouray - Sept. 2007

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Stock Truck

A capable driver with a vehicle in good mechanical condition will do just fine on the trails we drive during our Ouray trip. Driving Black Bear Pass demands that our vehicle is in good mechanical condition. That means no vehicles with an engine that floods or stalls. That means a vehicle with a clutch and transmission in very good condition. If your vehicle tends to pop out of gear you may want to skip Black Bear Pass.

As we begin our decent on Black Bear, as we drive around the water fall, each driver will be instructed to grab the lowest gear their vehicle has and then stay in that gear until we are around the water fall. Changing gears on this part of the trail is discouraged and is dangerous. We drive this part of the trail one vehicle at a time.

If the group decides that on Sunday we will be driving Poughkeepsie Gulch, then I will suggest right now that we do so only if there are one or two very well equiped cruisers in the group with drivers willing to help others over or around the obstacle. Poughkeepsie Gulch followed by Corkscrew Gulch makes for an awesome late afternoon end to a day of wheeling.

I don't intend to scare anyone who will be wheeling with us on trails during the Ouray trip. But, on some trails, in some spots, the trail will require 100% of the driver's attention and focus.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, this is the information I was looking for.

I'm more concerned about rocker panel damage than anything else. My 80 is in good shape and I'm not worried about any mechanical problems.

Bruce, do you see an issue with HWY tires (Michelin LTX, 90% tread). I don't want to get put into a position sliding down some very steep incline do to lack of tire tread.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Street Tires

Your street Michelins should be just fine. It goes back to my comment about "good mechanical condition". A tire with 90% tread meets that requirement. My "capable driver" comment should minimize any chance of body damage.

The wheeling trails in the Ouray area are old wagon roads, mostly, designed to get the traveler from point A to point B. They're mostly decent dirt roads with a few spots that require your total attention.

I think you'll do fine.

ttubb

Room for one more?

Just joined and would like to make the Ouray run. Do you have room for one more? Terry

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
You are welcome to join us, Terry. We look forward to wheeling with you. Let me know if there is any information you need that hasn't been posted here before.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Great! We look forward to you two joining us. Will you be riding the train on Sunday?

We do not plan to ride the train. Chris wants to wheel and we plan to bring Abbie along. We have reservations at the Ouray Riverside Inn/Cabins.

Mary

wesintl

RS Moderator
Is ben the only one staying at amplitheater? Reservations are sold out. I'll try and get a tent site at the 4j's...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I haven't reserved anything yet. If somebody wants a second person to share a campsite cost with let me know! I'll be rolling in late Friday night and will be there Saturday night.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So since Monday is Labor Day is anybody willing to stick around and try more trails that we might not get to over the weekend? I'm okay with driving back sometime after lunch on Monday if it means more wheeling :D - or do some trails on the way home like Old Monarch Pass or Hayden Pass etc.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
We reserved at 4J today 8.24.07 and were told we got the last tent site. They still have rv spots. We're staying fri and sat. Hot Springs, here I come. My finger tips will be shriveled up like raisins in no time.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We're going. Got one of the few sites for the popup reserved at 4J'S+1+1. Looking forward to riding the train, talking on the HAM radio and lazy wheeling.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looks like there will be lots of traffic. Also, watch out for the bears in 4J. Might be best to hang w/ Ben and get yelled at by the campground host:hill: :beer: :beer:

Have fun down there:cheers:

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Just got back from vacation in the midwest and could use some time in the hills. Thought it would be impossible to find anywhere to stay but decided to make a few calls and got a room at the Ouray Hotel because someone just cancelled. :D

Barb and I are in too! :woot:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well, we're bowing out of this run. Have been looking forward to it all summer but I need to let some other parts of my life take over for a while.. mainly house/family stuff, I need to maximize the return of this precious vacation time.

But I reserved a spot at the 4J's, per the recommendation on page 1 of this thread. If anyone wants that spot it's yours just let me know. Otherwise I'll just cancel it on Wednesday.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Is that a rv spot?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes I believe it had full hookups, as we were planning on dragging the camper.