Ouray - Sept. 2007

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
ttt

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have always stayed here. It's not bad. In the middle of downtown.

Ouray Chalet Inn
(970) 325-4331
510 Main St
Ouray, CO 81427

Just called. They are sold out. You must have grabbed the last room!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What time will we get started on Saturday? My father-in-law says it is only 1 hour, 20 minutes from his house to Ouray. So if we're meeting at 9:00 a.m., I'll probably just leave from his house in Cedaredge at 7:00 on Saturday morning. But if we're starting at 7:00 a.m., I'm coming in Friday night.

Looks like he only wants to four wheel on Saturday, so I'll just camp on Saturday night. He'll bring his car to Ouray and drive back that night.

Thanks, Matt

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
We are looking for a show of hands from anyone interested in riding the narrow gauge train, one way, from Durango to Silverton as a side trip during this year's Ouray trip.

We did this a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Drivers volunteer to drive train riders to Durango then meet the riders in Silverton where we have lunch. We wheel after lunch.

For more info on the train, go to www.durangotrain.com. Round trip tickets are $65 for adults and $35 for kids 5-11 years old. Under 5 are free but must sit on a lap. They do not sell one way tickets.

Ouray to Silverton is 23 miles, Silverton to Durango is 47 miles. 70 miles total.

Anyone interested?

We're interested. What day would we do this? Do we need to buy the tickets now?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I just made reservations at the 4J's Campground for Saturday night only. They were very nice.

Unless I hear about a really early start time, I'll drive down on Saturday morning, and then back to my in-laws in Cedaredge on Sunday night (probably late).

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
We will leave the hot springs pool parking lot at 8:00 AM each morning.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I should be OK in a stock 80 with a mild lift, right? :confused:

IIRC, the trails are pretty mild. Should I try and put sliders on before hand?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You will be fine...

Without sliders. When we went in 2006, we had just removed the running boards. No real threat of any damage at all. :thumb:

Attachments

• 754990960405_0_ALB.jpg
    754990960405_0_ALB.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 265

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Just made my reservation at amphitheater campground. site #12.

For those tenting and don't know this campground is great. (But you don't get to mooch Barb's Dutch oven cobbler if you're not at 4j's :D )Two loops, lower loop is tent only no rv's. Campers maybe. Very cool though up above Ouray, about 1/4 mile south of town. I think last year about half stayed at the 4j's and the other half stayed at amphitheater.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We are looking for a show of hands from anyone interested in riding the narrow gauge train, one way, from Durango to Silverton as a side trip during this year's Ouray trip.

We did this a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. Drivers volunteer to drive train riders to Durango then meet the riders in Silverton where we have lunch. We wheel after lunch.

I've ridden the train before. It's great, but I'm coming for the wheelin'. I don't mind being a shuttle driver, if needed. I'll have the 80.

I'm really, really hoping the train ride is scheduled for SUNDAY. I'm bringing my father-in-law down to Ouray for some wheeling on Satuday.

Which day were you thinking about doing the train?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
The train ride will be on Sunday so all train riders should make reservations for the 9:00AM train on Sunday, September 2nd, in the gondola car. Go to www.durangotrain.com. The train should pull into the Silverton station about 12:30. We will leave Ouray for Durango at 7:00AM sharp.

All train riders should plan on driving their cruisers from Ouray to Silverton on Sunday morning. At that point, vehicles will either be parked for the morning in Silverton or a volunteer driver may drive train riders to the Durango station. That way, when the train arrives, we can take off for an afternoon of wheeling without returning to Ouray to get a cruiser.

If train riders eat lunch on the train and all others eat lunch before the train pulls into Silverton, we should be able to drive out of Silverton by 1:00PM.

Wheeling on Sunday may include Animas Forks, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, or Corkscrew Gulch.

acon40

Banned
is there a link with pictures of the trail? I would love to show it to the boss and see if she wants to go.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
The train ride will be on Sunday so all train riders should make reservations for the 9:00AM train on Sunday, September 2nd, in the gondola car. Go to www.durangotrain.com. The train should pull into the Silverton station about 12:30. We will leave Ouray for Durango at 7:00AM sharp.

All train riders should plan on driving their cruisers from Ouray to Silverton on Sunday morning. At that point, vehicles will either be parked for the morning in Silverton or a volunteer driver may drive train riders to the Durango station. That way, when the train arrives, we can take off for an afternoon of wheeling without returning to Ouray to get a cruiser.

If train riders eat lunch on the train and all others eat lunch before the train pulls into Silverton, we should be able to drive out of Silverton by 1:00PM.

Wheeling on Sunday may include Animas Forks, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, or Corkscrew Gulch.

Just got our train tickets. We're there! :D

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Yep, the dates haven't changed, drive to Ouray on Friday, August 31st, wheel on Saturday and Sunday (with the optional narrow gauge train ride Sunday morning), then return home on Labor Day, Sept. 3rd.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm planning on being in for this one...IIRC there was a lot of extra wheelin' it sounds like people did as a roundabout way to get home, is there any of that maybe going to go on this year?

Haven't made reservations for camping yet, will get on it soon.