• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
The VSV can be removed if you have smallish hands without removing the plenum. There is a relocate mod you can find on MUD as well.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Took my 1996 FZJ80 over to the ACC facility off of County Line Road. They tried and failed to run the test on the rollers with my 35" tires -- they said the front rollers wouldn't turn.

The (really nice) guy said, "If you like, we can run an OBD test but it's a little harder to pass." I agreed. A couple minutes later, I had passed and was on my way.

I didn't know this was an option. Is this new?

Attachments

• 2017-emissions.jpg
    2017-emissions.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 306

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
Followed Ige's advice (two bottles of heet on half a tank of 93 octane) and passed with flying colors. I think I was more nervous waiting for them to test my 80 than I was when my son was born. At 315k miles and not having any prior history of this vehicle, maybe I should go buy a powerball ticket....

Attachments

• aircare80 (2).jpg
    aircare80 (2).jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 283

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
New to me 80

My fresh 80 with 462k original miles passed wahooooo!

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 247

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
What kind of set up do you have on your 94? Tire size, lift, gearing? I am just wondering because I have 94 LC with 4.88s, 315 and a 4" lift and I am always scared when I have to take it in for a test. I have yet to pass the road side yet. What station did you take it to? Thanks.

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
My fresh 80 with 462k original miles passed wahooooo!

Nice Jackson! Makes me feel good when I see that many miles. Makes my 315k seem like nothing.

ToyodaTocco

Hard Core 4+
What kind of set up do you have on your 94? Tire size, lift, gearing? I am just wondering because I have 94 LC with 4.88s, 315 and a 4" lift and I am always scared when I have to take it in for a test. I have yet to pass the road side yet. What station did you take it to? Thanks.

My 94 has 33's, 2.5 ome lift and stock gearing. I went to the one off of 44th and McIntyre in Golden.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Stock gearing I believe and 33's 2.5" lift it looks like. Northglen??? It's off of 112th on the east side of i25. Bought the truck understanding that it didn't pass. It had a plugged egr line (the one that runs to the egr modulator ) and a bad egr temp sensor. I picked the temp sensor up from upull and cleaned the egr line.... and it passed.

Last edited:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Ok, I hate having to take it in to test on the rollers. I live about 5 miles from the northglenn station and I have tried to test there in the past but have been turned away due to the tire size not able to run the Full-time/AWD rollers. I had to run a second set of 265/70 16's for a while so I could test it and was able to pass. I had Slee install the part time kit so that I could test it RWD only so we will see if that helps.

white wings

Hard Core 4+
That's weird, the place in Broomfield didn't have a problem when I had my DONKEY CRUSHERS on....

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Interesting your CO2 went down over time, by like half? That 80 just keeps getting greener.. :)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Yea, the CO2 looks too low, should be 500-600. The one time I had CO2 that low was on a 60, during the test the exhaust sniffer fell off the tail pipe.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
here is the run from 1 hour previous, only failed due to the gas cap, and it took an hour to get a good one after getting one from the store, returning to find out it also failed, then having to return it and drive to another store, and drive back :mad:

So I don't know if my engine performed any differently after a 1 hour gap, but their equipment certainly thinks it did. Whatever.

Just so you guys aren't worried about my CO2 number :thumb::hill:
2022-1-19 Vehicle Inspection 25.00 FAIL.jpg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Oh yay, I had heard this was coming. Congrats on passing.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
So I guess it's Colorados goal to keep lowering emissions limits until these vehicles can't pass anymore?

An 02 sensor would pop another code on its own, but could it contribute to the P0401?

Ialso am still running Rick's MAF with the vacuum line hooked up
This!

I had the exact same symptoms in my FZJ80 and it started becoming more frequent. I replaced several things, but in the end, only replacing my O2 sensors got rid of it. Fortunately, not expensive or time consuming.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
So I guess it's Colorados goal to keep lowering emissions limits until these vehicles can't pass anymore?
Yeah, probably. The good news is (after looking through this thread and seeing everyone's numbers) that, for the people that passed, there is still at least a 20-30% margin to work with on HC and NOx, and even more of a margin on CO. As much as I hate to admit it, keeping our trucks tuned and running right should allow us to pass emissions without much effort.

Having said that, it will be nice to be able to move to an area someday where I won't have to deal with it.