• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

Tremek

Great to meet you today Bruce! Glad we could get a few things done on your truck and thanks again for the sensor which I will be throwing into my truck tomorrow with crossed fingers. Likewise thanks for putting up with my rambunctious boys! They enjoyed 'helping'. :) Let me know when you're on to your next project!

The pleasure was all mine Dave. Your boys were very helpful indeed and I am looking forward to seeing them again. I am happy we could find a bit of common ground. let me know how it goes with the sensor.

Tremek

Bruce, got the sensor in the truck today and also replaced the plug on the harness with the replacement I had ordered - the P0330 code is gone! Thank you!

Now I may have cursed myself by actually posting in the P0401 thread, as it looks like that's reading as a "past" code. Need to go back and start from the beginning here, but if nothing else the CEL is off!

Bruce, got the sensor in the truck today and also replaced the plug on the harness with the replacement I had ordered - the P0330 code is gone! Thank you!

Now I may have cursed myself by actually posting in the P0401 thread, as it looks like that's reading as a "past" code. Need to go back and start from the beginning here, but if nothing else the CEL is off!

Congrats, now for the big test.:D

Tremek

Yup, confirmed, tempted fate by posting in here - as of this AM I now have a P0401 code for EGR issues. :( At least P0330 is gone.

Going to go back and start from page 1...

Edit: ordered the EGR vacuum actuator part as it's right on top of the motor (and that's what I accidentally pulled a hose loose on when I was doing the heater control valve) that should be here tomorrow, with hopes this could be where to start. If that doesn't solve the code then I'll be looking at the VSV next.

Last edited:
Yup, confirmed, tempted fate by posting in here - as of this AM I now have a P0401 code for EGR issues. :( At least P0330 is gone.

Going to go back and start from page 1...

Edit: ordered the EGR vacuum actuator part as it's right on top of the motor (and that's what I accidentally pulled a hose loose on when I was doing the heater control valve) that should be here tomorrow, with hopes this could be where to start. If that doesn't solve the code then I'll be looking at the VSV next.

I read the codes today on my '94 80 #2. It had stored a 25 and a 71. They are Mixture Control continuously lean (25) and EGR System malfunction (71). The codes are on a diagnostic tree followed by other options if the first one proves not to be the problem. I took the rig out on some sand in an attempt to free up the "stuck " e-lockers without success. However, after working her hard and then a 15 mile ride at 70 to 85 mph I could not get either code to "pop" again. I called Air Care Colorado to see about getting in for a free diagnostic. I was told I had to go back to Emissions testing again. After a second failure at the Emissions Testing Station ACC will then do the free diagnostic testing. Whatever they find you are then to make the recommended repairs and or adjustments. They will then re-test to see if that remedied the problem. The process goes on like this and eventually you will be offered a waiver once you have spent $700+ on parts and or labor if the vehicle cannot pass. I did this with 80 # 1 so as to be able to get tags. Hopefully 80 #2 will not be a recurring nightmare. Any advice from the Rising Sun knowledge pool would be welcomed of course.

So welcome to the wonderful world of Colorado Emissions Testing. You have the advantage of a new exhaust system and of course your '97 has OBDII. This thread may be of help: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/9-times-out-of-10-a-po401-code-is-fixed-by.295289/

I am going start testing my EGR System per the FSM. Additionally I am going look for best quality Injector cleaner I can find, and of course work on my "honeydo" list fix'es that want to be done on the '80 #2. Keep me posted on your progress too.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
BG 44K. Stevinson sells it at our 25% discount.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Tremek

Can't get the catalyst to go to "ready" state in the OBD2 nor do I think coolant temps are getting to where they need to be; looks like my coolant temps like to hang out around 73c. Looks like via TSBs that coolant must be over 80c for the catalyst monitor to work.

I jammed some cardboard inbetween the core support and the radiator and got temps up above 80c but right at the end of my drive they dipped to 78c. :(

Anyone else ever run into issues like this? Wondering if the PO put the wrong thermostat in this thing.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking/stuck open

Tremek

Well holy s*** - the truck passed emissions:

weB286gh.jpg

I wasn't expecting it to pass due to OBD2 ready states, but it appears they didn't care about that. I figured I needed to at least start the actual emissions "process" in the (expected) event it failed, but I didn't expect the resolution to be so quick -

It actually passed twice, except for a fail on the gas cap the first time.

I had my 3 little boys with me, the place closed at 1pm, and when they finished with the first test it was 12:49. I raced over to an O'Reilly's right down the street, ran in and got a new cap, and got back at 12:56pm to learn they would need to dyno it AGAIN in order to pass it.

So they got it up on the dyno again, and it passed - again! I'll take it. Major hurdle cleared.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
wooohooo!!!!! congrats!!!! and flying colors too!

It actually passed twice, except for a fail on the gas cap the first time.
got back at 12:56pm to learn they would need to dyno it AGAIN in order to pass it.

So they got it up on the dyno again, and it passed - again! I'll take it. Major hurdle cleared.

i have an oe cap that i only use at emissions time. i usually throw the old cap and the bag from the oe cap on the passenger seat so they can see it's a new cap too. pisses me off that they make you re-dyno for a stupid cap:mad: it's such a scam!!!!:mad::rant:

Congrats on your victory Dave! Great numbers. :beer::beer::D

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Wow, zero HC. That's impressive :)

Tremek

Yeah I also found that odd re: HC, maybe I should try and register it as PZEV! On the "failed" test it showed up:

yf7X60fh.jpg

Still, 0.08/1.2 seems pretty low.

PS, I used the wisdom of the thread and stuffed two bottles of red Heet in it + 1/4 a tank of 91 the day before going through the test. I also put brand new exhaust on the truck after buying it, including all 3 cats front to back, so perhaps that's another signal of the relatively low readings?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Impressive for an 80. Here's a 100 for ref

5626e2edfec711ce600d109d5f948a5a.jpg

Eureka!

As noted in another thread, I took my #2 FJ80 (265,000mi) to AA Performance in Englehood where they put in new cat's and O2 sensor bungs yesterday. I went in for another shot at CO Emisions this morning and voila- I passed with flying colors, an inop EGR system, and a cherry red Check engine light. See the scan attached. I think the vacuum port that goes through the intake plenum and connects to the VSV is plugged as I can only push a piece of wire about an inch and half into it. Can this be drilled out? Can the VSV be accessed without removing the plenum? Anyway I can hardly contain my excitement at the passing numbers. Long live FZJ 80's, long live Toyota. Now to figure out why the e-lockers on the rig will not engage. I have the dash indicators but no locker's. Anyone had and solved this problem? :)

Attachments

• SCN_0006.jpg
    SCN_0006.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 287

Tremek

Bruce, that's great! I trust A&H treated you well, Gene is a very straight shooter. At least you can put plates on it now!

Bruce, that's great! I trust A&H treated you well, Gene is a very straight shooter. At least you can put plates on it now!

Thanks. I went to AA Performance in Englewood. Gene?

Tremek

Oh gotcha, different shop - I had read AA as AH. Glad they treated you well.