Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks like the upper plenum brace gets removed and from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM. Need to check for dry/rotting vacuum hoses. Not sure what/where the vacuum modulator is, maybe I'll find a picture of it or figure it out once I'm under there.

Oh, this thread has good pics of how to reach the VSV (and shows the long extension):
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/203948-replacement-vsv-spanish.html

Maybe I should move it to the fender like this guy:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/111750-alternate-egr-tests-p0401.html#post3793644

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?

Not really sure now, it's been a couple years...I thought it was more recent than that, boy time sure does fly fast...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Looks pretty straightforward but typical PITA Toyota :hill:

I've taken the line over the last few years that if I'm likely to have to repeat the "fix" down the road then I'll tackle and learn how to do it - like the front axle service. If it is something that is likely to be a one time deal then I'd rather let Ben do it, like the VSV. I figured the first one made it 14 years and 100K+ miles so it won't be something I'll have to ever have done again...

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
tricks to getting to stuff in impossible locations, like the VSV, without dismantling 1/2 of the engine. ... As I recall it had to do with LONG ratchet extensions coming up from below

from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM.

Yes and yes.

See also ":robbie:" He checked and verified good VSV in mine in short order.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Took the LX in for its e-test today...Lucked out and there was only 1 vehicle in the AWD line in front of me...About 10 vehicles 15 minutes later :rolleyes:

Based on Nemo's experience with 315 Toyos and my own measurements I took it down without swapping to the 285s. All was good till the truck started wandering on the high speed part and the young guy "driving" started to freak out and stopped the test. I thought I was done for :eek: - In hops the "pro" and off he goes...1/2 way through the second time he stops and I look at the monitor thinking crap. Nope, the LX passed the "fast test"...The pro gave me the thumbs up so the only thing stopping me would be the gas cap test but even that was a success! I could start breathing easier...

Given that just two weeks ago I did a home fix on my exhaust leak at the y-pipe and the tighter limits I wasn't real confident in passing. I'm good for another couple years I guess :thumb:

Here are my results. Pretty dang good for a 16yo rig! Funny how some readings are higher/lower than what I got in 2007 & 2009. Not sure where my 2011 results are.

97 LX450 E-Test 2-9-13 (Large).JPG

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Nice! Feels good knowing your rigs been well taken care of too. :thumb:

When I took my 3.4 swapped truck in the guy was blown away. I guess he's seen a lot of the old 3.0 truck FAIL.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Dad's '96 turbo 80 failed emissions for the 1st time since he's owned it, due to his cat being wiped out. Turns out it has only had 1 cat on it all this time as well, which they also caught for the first time this time and failed the visual. He took it to Bud's a couple days ago and got it back yesterday to have two new cats added to his 3" mandrel bent exhaust in place of the 1 bad cat. His check engine light is also on with the EGR code (not sure what the code is), which apparently cooks cats, so he'll have to get his EGR system figured out pretty soon too.

EDIT: it passed emissions today too, so all is well for now :thumb:

Went down on Sunday to help my dad with some stuff. His driver's side mirror was broken, so I got that replaced with one off of the 'Mud classifieds. The heater fan had also ingested some mice, so had to get that cleaned out. He also said the CEL has been on for a while, so I tried to drive it around to get it to blow the code (had just reconnected the battery). Never blew the code, but he texted me last night and said the code is P0401. He's also getting a lot of fuel tank pressure, which I think is charcoal canister-related. Oh joy.

Well soon turned out to be 3 years later, but I think the P0401 is fixed. Pulled the VSV out yesterday, tested bad, got a new one from Groove, in and drove today. Have to adjust the throttle cables a tad still, but no code yet. Here's crossing my fingers. Funny how something so small seems like a big deal to fix. Modulator tested fine, no blocked passageways, just the VSV. Bugger of it was I tried getting to it from the fender side through the small hole in the intake (after taking the brace out of the way), but my hands are big enough that that wasn't going well. So I got the throttle body off in just a few minutes and had easier access to the VSV from there. The electrical connector was a super PITA to get off, but finally it let go. On to something else...forgot about the fuel tank pressure issue until just now :rolleyes:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That VSV ain't cheap either....

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Right, it's over $100. But not having a CEL for the past 2 days? Priceless? :hill:

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
My 3.4 just recently threw a knock sensor malfunction code. Wires are good and each sensor is $211.00 :eek: :rant: so it could be worse ya know. :D

DHwreckage

Rock Stacker
thought i would add to this as well i've failed emissions the past 3 times ive gone, had 401 code to i replaced my VSV and all is good, had a 420 code so i replaced the O2's and now more 420 code. ive used seafoam in the gas tank but my NOx just wont go down. first test was 4.8 or so second was 4.6 and now im at 4.1 with the 3 gpm limit. next step is replace the cats...womp womp :rolleyes:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
:cheer: 91 octane and some Heet for good measure.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 595

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Air filter, cap & rotor, plugs, wires, 2 bottles of Heet and about 10 gallons of 91 octane. Woo hoo!!

Attachments

• ACC 20AUG14 97FZJ80 PASS.jpg
    ACC 20AUG14 97FZJ80 PASS.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 574

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Loading up all the emissions records I have of the 80:
July 2002:
Emissions 2002-7.jpg

August 2004:
Emissions 2004-8-24.jpg

September 2006:
Emissions 2006-9.jpg

**BETWEEN 2006 AND 2008 THE LIMITS WERE LOWERED**

November 2008:
Emissions 2008-11.jpg

Dec 2010 (FAIL):
Emissions 2010-12-23.jpg

Dec 2012:
Emissions 2012-12.jpg

Dec 2013:
Emissions 2013-12.jpg

Dec 2015: Nothing special, just drove up to the station. Always run 91 octane.
Emissions 2015-12.jpg

Jan 2018: Just drove to the station first thing in the morning. HC and CO are going up, I bet new plugs would fix it, which I have but just need to install.
Emissions 2018-1.jpg

**1/1/2022 THE LIMITS WERE LOWERED AGAIN**

January 2022:
2022-1-19 Vehicle Inspection PASS.jpg

November 2023: nothing special, just drove up to the station. Burned better than the last time. Guy couldn't figure out how to hook up the OBD2 :rolleyes:
2023-11-17 Emissions Test.jpg

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
time to bring back the dreaded thread

new motor
oil changed a few weeks ago
clean air filter installed then
guess it's time to look at o2 sensors

oh, and the hose kept falling off the tailpipe so went through 1/8 tank of fuel driving from work out there and the 30+ minutes of high speed testing on the dyno (seriously...the hose kept falling off, so it was at last count somewhere around 11 attempts racing on the dyno)
:(

Attachments

• 2016 FAIL A.jpg
    2016 FAIL A.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 457
  • 2016 FAIL B.jpg
    2016 FAIL B.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 363

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
o2 sensors

Attachments

• 2016 SECOND TRIP.jpg
    2016 SECOND TRIP.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 463

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Yesterday was a great day. My 80 series FAST PASSED emissions in Broomfield and they tested w my 35_s on!!! Win!!!

I added one bottle of heat and drove it like I stole it for about 10 mins. Engine was at 187 when test started. Was out of there in 5 mins.
182553c9408bca028ab0b9a67a3c2497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk