• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

New Addition -Civilian Mega Cruiser LHD

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
yeah but seriously, whose video did you like better? :lol:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So this is getting kinda wild... and sorry Chase for presumptuously making this the default Mega Cruiser thread.

you guys have probably already seen the other white one on Cars & Bids... https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV...utm_source=nd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e I think it was imported in the same container? @Doughboy ?

And we've been approached to make another rack for one in the NE... also civilian spec. I am guessing this one is right hand drive though, based on what the mirrors look like.
FB_IMG_1668811459885.jpg

and that's the largest set of Blizzaks I've ever seen... I bet that thing is grippy as all get out in the snow!

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
The one on Cars and bids came into the tacoma port right around the same time chase and I were getting his from the Galveston port.

I don't know anything about that green one. I do know that that's not a factory color choice. Civilian spec ones only came in Red, White and Blue. So that's either a respray, could be government surplus. From my understanding very few, like 3, were shipped out of Japan from Toyota for other market testing in the 90s. But that could be hearsay, I have nothing to prove or disprove this information.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah noted on the colors, thanks. Someone painted it green at some point, but per the vin they know the original was blue. And in fact they are actually going to repaint it blue, so it'll look like this one:
mega cruiser.jpg

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I believe blue is the rarest color. My personal favorite is red. I want one so bad. That's awesome you're making a second rack! Probably be cheaper for them to drive out and pick it up vs shipping.

This would make 4-6 civilian spec in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more in Canada

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
So this is getting kinda wild... and sorry Chase for presumptuously making this the default Mega Cruiser thread.

you guys have probably already seen the other white one on Cars & Bids... https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV...utm_source=nd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e I think it was imported in the same container? @Doughboy ?

And we've been approached to make another rack for one in the NE... also civilian spec. I am guessing this one is right hand drive though, based on what the mirrors look like.
View attachment 109586

and that's the largest set of Blizzaks I've ever seen... I bet that thing is grippy as all get out in the snow!
I really like the blue!
@nakman do you know where this picture was taken? ^^^ I see a couple more JDM vehicles in the parking lot. Just curious.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
crazy how you guys are keeping track of them all so well.
I have a mild addiction to the mega cruiser. It's one of my dream vehicles. There's 5 for sure in North America.

Chase's old one, LCHM has one, The one for sale on cars and bids, now this green one, one in Canada, and there's one in the states that no one can confirm. And there's something like 29 or so military spec ones out here. Much more, but also not a lot. I can also tell you that you can buy new tires for them from Japan, but they are something like $650 a tire shipped.

Also, I get texts and tagged on social media whenever one is spotted stateside.

I feel like I've somehow become the subject matter expert in Megas.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Came across a couple you may recognize.

Attachments

• 6B30C18E-73BA-45D0-8651-FD0EFA302BE8.jpeg
    6B30C18E-73BA-45D0-8651-FD0EFA302BE8.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 142

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Great article Ige
One of my favorite little roads to my absolute favorite hidden camp spot
In a mega cruiser would be so cool
Thanks for posting!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Quick update... the green one decided to get painted white. It's almost done, they're still working on the rear bumper but they got the rack installed last week, also drove it inside from the snow. Still needs a few tweaks to get the rack dialed in (they need to push the front part back, and also up a little bit) but looking pretty good so far...

IMG_20230307_191841_smaller.jpg

IMG_20230307_191847_smaller.jpg

IMG_20230307_191911_smaller.jpg

IMG_20230307_191921_smaller.jpg

what's cool about the rack is it's in 2 separate pieces, the front section is raised up on extended height towers to clear the bump-up roof, so the front and sides are Expo-down for the fairing support and grab handles, like the one we did for @DanielChase. But the back is lower by 3", so it's a recessed basket all the way around for holding a bunch of gear, giant coolers, etc. Once they get the front rack adjusted the top edges of the two will be planar to each other, so it'll support long lumber, SUP's, or even a RTT bolted to both of them, whatever.

I'll take a little credit for the vision/design work, give @AxleIke all the props though for making all the sparks :weld:

they'll let me know when this goes to auction! :risingsun

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
what's a giant cooler and why does it go on the roof?
ECMmCI8WwAAdgHu_480x480.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
ECMmCI8WwAAdgHu_480x480.jpg

It’s called the Mob Box

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well these guys seem to be in no hurry to sell here... obviously the market is a little different today than it was a year ago.

c9eacd73-d303-4883-acff-7ff420d55132.jpg

Looks like they got a bumper on there? sure looks good with that rack tho.. :)

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Well these guys seem to be in no hurry to sell here... obviously the market is a little different today than it was a year ago.

c9eacd73-d303-4883-acff-7ff420d55132.jpg

Looks like they got a bumper on there? sure looks good with that rack tho.. :)
Not a terrible price, I think I would prefer the original blue color it was painted when new versus the white or od green it was. It looks really good though. I wonder who made those wheels for them? Rack is killer