• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

New Addition -Civilian Mega Cruiser LHD

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Museum I believe does have a civilian and a military. Proffitts also has a miitary
The museum can have cars that aren’t typically allowed in the states, but has anyone seen any civilian ones besides Chase's?

Last edited by a moderator:

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Regarding Sergey’s comments: He’s referring to BXD-20’s (Civilian version) and obviously didn’t include BXD10’s (military version) in his tally of stateside mega cruisers- everyone, including him, knows about the military trucks here. BXD-20’s are another story… No, I don’t make any claims as to how many 20’s are here but like sergey, I know of only one off hand. There certainly will be more here before we know it. I don’t have an opinion as to weather the term mega cruiser is more fittingly applied to BXD20’s than BXD10’s though some people seem to... I believe the thinking goes that the term “mega cruiser” originated with the BXD-20 and was only then retroactively applied to their militarily derived predecessors. I really don’t know.
I don’t plan to make a car show style info placard for this thing. Nor do I plan to become a commentator on all things mega cruiser.

I just want to wheel the shit out of this thing. Now who’s with me?

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Regarding Sergey’s comments: He’s referring to BXD-20’s (Civilian version) and obviously didn’t include BXD10’s (military version) in his tally of stateside mega cruisers- everyone, including him, knows about the military trucks here. BXD-20’s are another story… No, I don’t make any claims as to how many 20’s are here but like sergey, I know of only one off hand. There certainly will be more here before we know it. I don’t have an opinion as to weather the term mega cruiser is more fittingly applied to BXD20’s than BXD10’s though some people seem to... I believe the thinking goes that the term “mega cruiser” originated with the BXD-20 and was only then retroactively applied to their militarily derived predecessors. I really don’t know.
I don’t plan to make a car show style info placard for this thing. Nor do I plan to become a commentator on all things mega cruiser.

I just want to wheel the shit out of this thing. Now who’s with me?
Interesting… I didn’t even know they made a civilian style mega cruiser until I saw the video, and I didn’t even know they made a military style cruiser until a couple of years ago. I’ll be interested to see how it wheels in Moab as well. Chase, what’s the toughest run you think you’ll run with it? Is it ready to wheel out of the box right now or do you have some maintenance you have to get done, or are you waiting to get your hands on it. Pretty cool to see something different, I’m excited about that.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
Interesting… I didn’t even know they made a civilian style mega cruiser until I saw the video, and I didn’t even know they made a military style cruiser until a couple of years ago. I’ll be interested to see how it wheels in Moab as well. Chase, what’s the toughest run you think you’ll run with it? Is it ready to wheel out of the box right now or do you have some maintenance you have to get done, or are you waiting to get your hands on it. Pretty cool to see something different, I’m excited about that.

The real question is, how much do you care about body damage. :hill: The mega cruiser platform is insanely capable, it's really just the body that holds it back. The rear steer is so much fun to drive with in tight areas, I've whipped Kitty around in some super tight places, never having to back up. I know Proffitt's runs 6-7s all the time at Cruise Moab.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The real question is, how much do you care about body damage. :hill: The mega cruiser platform is insanely capable, it's really just the body that holds it back. The rear steer is so much fun to drive with in tight areas, I've whipped Kitty around in some super tight places, never having to back up. I know Proffitt's runs 6-7s all the time at Cruise Moab.
It would seem to be in the same vein as the Hummer H1 and HMMWV. You can go just about anywhere but eventually you're no longer driving a road and instead are making one.

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
At cruis Moab I've wheeled with Proffitt in his Military Mega Cruiser a couple times. 7 mile Rim and Poison Spider Mesa were the two I remember. I know these aren't tough trails. I think 4-5 rating. He had to go around a narrow spot on 7 mile but otherwise it ran like neither of those were even a challenge.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
The museum can have cars that aren’t typically allowed in the states, but has anyone seen any civilian ones besides Chase's?
Ad mentioned. The museum has a.civilian one also. The military one was hard for them to get. It had to be quartered and brought in in pieces, then welded back together
Screenshot_20220130-142515_Chrome.jpg

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Supposedly, after WWII, Japan isn't aloud to export military gear, according to the treaty that was signed. Because of this, LCHM has a chopped up one to bypass this.

With that being said, multiple people have imported military mega cruisers into North America, without them being chopped up. Customs can't catch everything. Huge risk doing it this way

I believe Chase's mega is the 3rd civilian mega in North America, 2nd in the states, 1st LHD in North America.

Cheers,
Angelo

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
All the military ones here arrived in pieces.
Mega's are great for carrying kegs.
@DanielChase we will definitely roadtrip to Proffitt's. Two vehicles and like 20 people? ;)

IMG_1610.jpgIMG_1614.jpgIMG_1617.jpg

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I drove Kitty back from Moab to the shop after CM last year. It did 75 just fine, but it sure liked fuel.

Technically, it's a LHD converted military megacruiser with a 40 body on top.

20210418_105758.jpg

20210418_143614.jpg

I also took it to the Gunnison Car show this year.

20210814_151225.jpg

20210814_161518.jpg

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Update: 3/1/22

The truck is presently on the water. She has an ETA of 3/15/22 in the port of Galveston (1 hour south of Houston)

My importer estimates 3 days of red tape so I’m hoping to be driving her back to Denver by 3/20…

Some of you have expressed interest in coming down to help get it back to denver. Contact me if so…

I’m also going to need to sort out a place to store the truck as it will not fit in the garage at my condo building.

Recently I found a guy selling a reproduction of the 17.5 inch factory wheels that is sized down to 17 inch to vastly improve tire selection for the truck.
Long story short, I didn’t buy them but now I’d like to have a set made in a similar manner. Any recommendations for a shop to produce custom wheels such as this are welcome!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member