Mustard w/ Mayo - 40 series build

scheefdog

More work!!

Awhile back when I installed the rear driveshaft, I noticed that the flange on the differential had a bunch of play it. And when I say a bunch, it would move up and down 1/4". The pinion nut was still staked in the original position and looked like it had never been messed with. I am guessing the crush sleeve somehow went bad?

I decided to swap out the rear third member over the holidays because I had another axle in good condition. After taking the third member out, I made the decision to swap the entire axle because the housing had some rust and debris in it - and the donor one is in great shape.

A look in the hold to see the rusty debris...
full

full

New Toyota gaskets going on the third member.
full

Because I had the axle completely out, I decided to order a new 2.5" suspension kit. I believe the shocks on the 40 were original and surprisingly, were still all in good working condition.

The original leaf spring pins and shackles all came out without too much fuss and were in good enough shape to hit them with the grinder for a
little cleanup and reinstall with new bushings. The leaf springs came with new bushings and I used Energy Suspension bushings on the shackles.

full

full

full

The lift is from Pro Comp and I am impressed with the quality of the leaf springs. And most importantly, the spring length is well designed. I hate when companies add more arch to leaf springs without increasing the length and the shackle angle ends up vertical. I had this happen with Old Man Emu springs on the back of a an old 1st gen Toyota pickup and it rode like crap. The shackle angle is great with these Pro Comp springs and the rear wheel looks like it is centered in the wheel well.

full

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Does the truck ride well on the ProComp springs?

scheefdog

Does the truck ride well on the ProComp springs?
I have not driven it enough to really give good feedback on that. I drove it around town and out one of the county roads at 40-45 mph. I would say the springs are stiffer than the old stock springs which isn't surprising. I think any new lift springs would be.

The stock rear springs were definitely really soft and close to the bump stops. I think putting a couple hundred pounds in the back would be a good idea to help settle the springs (if that is possible). Also, mounting the spare tire for that extra weight on the back would be good. I'm sure they are designed for a hard top.

Do you have a lift on your 40? Are you happy with it?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
No, I have factory springs with Rancho add-a-leafs in the rear, which gave it nice lift, but I have since removed my aux. gas tank, so it sits high in the back, and low in the front. When I reinstall the PTO winch, the front will sit even lower. The front springs are lower-miles OEM without an AAL.

I would expect your new springs would be stiffer out of the box, and hopefully they will soften a bit.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
When I bought my '71 in 1998 it had OEM shocks and springs, and when I replaced them in 2004 I was pleasantly surpirsed that the OEM shocks were still quite functional even at over 30 years old and 100k miles. I did the rancho add a leaf lift at that time and installed OME shocks. The OME shocks are now shot, and the springs are finally starting to sag 100K miles later.

scheefdog

A comparison picture of the lift and stock. There is no spare tire mounted or weight in the back for either of these pictures.

I like that the height of the lift is mild. I'm sure it would look really good with some 33x10.5s.

full

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
A comparison picture of the lift and stock. There is no spare tire mounted or weight in the back for either of these pictures.

I like that the height of the lift is mild. I'm sure it would look really good with some 33x10.5s.

I agree about the 33x10.5, it's what I run on all my cruisers. Nice compromise between highway manners and off road capability (and I can lift the spare LOL). I had 35 x 12.5 on my HZJ75 and they were just a bit much.

scheefdog

Travis, did Brett get that door glass to you? You’ll be a lot warmer with the window up!
Hey Bill - Thank you for meeting up and handing the glass off to Brett! We are still working on plans to meet up, but it should be in the next week or two.

And you are right - it will be a lot warmer with the window up!

scheefdog

I'm certainly overdue on an update. This spring the Mustard with Mayo moved onto a new owner. Sad to see it go, but I want to build what I originally intended to (a stretched 40) and needed the funds to do so. A few nice pictures from this spring.

full

full

full

scheefdog

And a little teaser of starting to fulfill my original vision for a 40 build. Of course it has morphed some. I think it is probably best to start a new build thread since this is a separate truck, but thought it would be good to introduce it here. I will post a link to the new build thread when I start one.

full

full

full

full

full

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Reminds me a little of when Gary Coberly put an FJ45 body onto and FZJ80 chassis and motor. If memory serves, he decided he wanted more power than the 1FZ-FE and ended up replacing it with a 2UZ-FE.