Found Land Cruiser - 100 Series (Golden CO)

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Totally agree to steer clear of midwest rust... If you're willing to fly try using an app that searches multiple CL areas. I have one set to search all of the cities that have the best chance of a low rust rig... Which is basically Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, NM and all states west. There are some places like Boise that seem to have nice Cruisers sit on local CL for a long time because the local market is priced out. I've also seen some gems pop up on Car Gurus using same the broad search strategy.

If either of you had read the whole ad, you'd see he bought the truck out of Washington state 10k ago to avoid rust. People do this all the time, and if you are willing to sift through the ads you can find rust free trucks in locations that are much less expensive than the regions the whole world searches out.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
If you have not used KSL before, give it a try. Its the local classifieds for SLC but is used throughout the mountain west.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Don't forget to factor in 4.5% fee.

japete01

Wincher
@Shuksan - Thank you. I really wish the timing belt had been done. Driving back from CA on an unknown timing belt worries me. I have a line on another LC 100 that was recently done, I may have to pass up the good deal to mitigate my risk.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
@Shuksan - Thank you. I really wish the timing belt had been done. Driving back from CA on an unknown timing belt worries me. I have a line on another LC 100 that was recently done, I may have to pass up the good deal to mitigate my risk.
It would probably not be too bad to arrange to get timing belt (and heater T's) done there before driving back. Also the risk isn't too bad. There are very few stories of these actually breaking on people.

Heckraiser

80 series, 200 series, GX460, 100 series, GX470, FJC

Sorry for the random de-rail, but curious as to your opinion (or anyone else who's driven both).

The GX460 appears to be A LOT heavier than the GX470 according to google. Enough so that a vvti 470 actually has a better power to weight ratio than a 460, if the posted curb weights are to be believed.

For those who have driven both, does the 460 really provide any noticeable seat-of-the-pants performance compared to a later GX470 or a vvti/5-speed 4.7 4runner? Just something that's been rolling around in my empty skull as I peruse craigslist.:unsure:

Last edited:

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I believe that the timing belt worry on the 100 series is totally overblown. I would recommend doing it as normal preventative maintenance, but it wouldn't keep me from driving it home at all.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Another win for the late model 100's without VVTi, is that by all accounts the motor is non-interference. Quite a few stories of neglected belt service (or bad service) resulting in jumped teeth, misaligned cams, broken belts, etc. where once service was done on the belt the right way it fired right up with no ill effect.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the random de-rail, but curious as to your opinion (or anyone else who's driven both).

The GX460 appears to be A LOT heavier than the GX470 according to google. Enough so that a vvti 470 actually has a better power to weight ratio than a 460, if the posted curb weights are to be believed.

For those who have driven both, does the 460 really provide any noticeable seat-of-the-pants performance compared to a later GX470 or a vvti/5-speed 4.7 4runner? Just something that's been rolling around in my empty skull as I peruse craigslist.:unsure:

The 460 also has more trans gears.

I’ve driven both but not side by side. Both are very peppy for a SUV

Part of my original rating takes into account for age. It’s way easier to find a nice clean 460 than a 470. If you had two trucks side by side in identical overall condition the choice would be more difficult.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am sure that will climb but could be good. Nice bumpers (~$4-5K right there) and mileage is low.
This one ended up going for 16K which is probably fair for mileage, rear locker, and those bumpers. If it was actually going for 10-12K I would've just bought it for myself.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I believe that the timing belt worry on the 100 series is totally overblown. I would recommend doing it as normal preventative maintenance, but it wouldn't keep me from driving it home at all.
All timing belt concerns on Toyota's are usually overblown if they are using Asin/Toyota (Spell) parts. I saw a Asin timing belt on a Tacoma that was never changed until 300,000 miles. It was truly unbelievable. The belt wasn't cracked and showed no signs it was going to break. That being said, Toyota seems to recommend 90K on those, not sure what a 100 series belt is suppose to be. There must be some sort of fudge factor they have with those belts, I wonder what it is.