Found Land Cruiser - 100 Series (Golden CO)

japete01

Wincher
All,

I'm new here (and deserve the flaming for my first post being in the wanted section). I'd like to pick up a 100 Series LC, preferably a 2005-2007, but open to others. Something that is forum owned and well maintained is highly preferred. I'd actually prefer something as close to stock as possibly and am not looking for anything with rust. Thank you for letting me lurk on the forum for so long. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained from you all.

-JP

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
Hi and welcome!

I saw this ‘02 in Englewood... it’s pricey but not stock by any means, looks Slee built and ready to go. Super curious if belonged to a RS member.

japete01

Wincher
@r.swany Thank you! I saw that posted. It's a little rich for my blood, but anything Slee built is impressive. If they'd take a bit less, I might be able to make it happen. I drool every time I drive past their shop (nearly daily). I'm actually looking for something a little closer to stock.

Last edited:

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Hey man - It’s Brett...good to see you here!

Think the collective group can certainly help you find something...you’re in good hands!

Brett

japete01

Wincher
Thank you, Brett. It's good to see the quality of the people in this club. I am in the right place.

Dangler

Wincher
I sold my 01 to a family friend (best man in my wedding). His son drove it for a year and then left for college. He’d like to sell it and I know the maintenance on it is top notch. It’s an LX with a mild lift (2” tough dog if I remember) and method rims. Stock otherwise

not exactly what you’re looking for, but just an option

japete01

Wincher
PM Sent. A small lift (no AHC) and some nice wheels sound close enough to stock for me. I'm looking for a driver more so than a trail rig.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My advice is stick to your first instinct and aim for the 2005-2007 model year. The 5-speed upgrade is well worth it, I also think a little more power from the VVTI is worth it also, you'll see that in the fuel economy especially if you stay close to stock. Only reason to get a 4-speed 100 is if it also came with a rear locker (98-99). IMHO, of course. ;)

something like this, if you can handle the gold https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/westminster-2005-toyota-land-cruiser/7273577323.html

same truck, $1000 less https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/westminster-2005-toyota-land-cruiser/7268192342.html

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
If it were me I’d look for a 08-09 200 series or early model GX460 if that better fit your budget. I’m just not a big fan of the 100 series personally.

Now I’m off to get my flame suit on.

I don’t care for the 100 series front suspension design. And the 4.7 isn’t that strong when compared to the 5.7 or even the 4.6. Neither of which use a timing belt.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
If it were me I’d look for a 08-09 200 series or early model GX460 if that better fit your budget. I’m just not a big fan of the 100 series personally.

Now I’m off to get my flame suit on.

I don’t care for the 100 series front suspension design. And the 4.7 isn’t that strong when compared to the 5.7 or even the 4.6. Neither of which use a timing belt.
What you want to be able to significantly improve the travel of your suspension or something?

japete01

Wincher
I've not driven the 460GX or the 200 series. I've driven a 470GX (which feels like a taller version of my 4Runner), an 80 series (bad ass), and a 100 Series (the right mix of daily with the ability to have fun). The timing belt doesn't worry me as my 4Runner also has the 4.7L. It's typical maintenance and not needed all that often. I'd be open to giving the 200 series a shot. I'll start reading up on them.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I agree with @Corbet but do think that the 100 has its place in the lineup. If I was looking for a 2005-2007 (and expecting to pay the premium for one) I'd be in the "get a 200" camp for sure. Easier (and less) maintenance, more power, better on road handling, better towing, better sound system, etc. The list is extensive.

The maintenance thing can not be understated. The front end on this thing really requires an owner to be involved and do the work themselves - trusting to a shop is going to result in heartache. It's also kind of a one-off in the line up: torsion bars vs Coil springs, timing belt vs chain, captive brake rotors, wheel bearing preloading/c-clip headaches with the CV's, master cylinder booster stuff, gas-tank venting weirdness, etc.

That being said, if you look a bit older (like a 98 or 99 as @nakman mentioned) you can find a more analog vehicle with a rear locker, 80-90% of the amenities the later years have, and you can get a deal on one ($10-12k) and with $2-4k in maintenance over a year or two have a really locked in vehicle.

The 460 is an awesome recommendation, as is the 570 if you're into the styling.

japete01

Wincher
@AlpineAccess - That is solid advice. I'm open to any 100 Series, but will definitely consider an early 200 series as well. I'll have to go drive a GX460. I do prefer a more analog experience. Before my 4Runner, I had a TJ and an LJ Wrangler. The TJ had Detroit lockers and was about as analog as it gets (at least in the EFI world).

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Bro if you can swing a 200 then 100% do that.

You can come by and drive my 100 and 200 back to back...maybe get a workout in!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've not driven the 460GX or the 200 series. I've driven a 470GX (which feels like a taller version of my 4Runner), an 80 series (bad ass),

Because the 470/460 are on the same platform of same year 4Runner. 460 is a sweet ride IMHO and would make a great overlander for way less than a 200. given the choice of 460 verse 100 that choice would be easy for me.

And correct on the 80 series :thumb:

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm a big fan of the 100-series rigs, but I'd echo what others have said about looking for a decent 200. Had I known what I know now, I would've gone with a 200 right off the bat (I have a built '99 100 for wheeling and a relatively stock '17 200 that I daily). They're exceptionally comfortable, more powerful, and have some great off-road gadgets, if you ever decide to wheel it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@Corbet 470/460 is a terrible overlanding choice; stupid rear door, no tail gate, makes it inferior to the same model year Land Cruiser. Do a trip where you have to sit & eat on a dirty bumper the whole time, or try to count how many times you smack your shin on the trailer hitch, no access the truck from the PS with the trailer hooked up, etc. No rear heat, no power 3rd row windows, no manual door locks anywhere but the driver door... the list goes on.

stick to the plan, man, get a 100!