Ghost Town Run, July 23rd-25th 2021

Beachboy

Rising Sun Member
Last time I went to Wheeler Geologic area, we drove an off road up to the area where the old visitor center is. Lots of fun, good off road but not too hard, but it was a long time ago. Would love to get up there again.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Any thoughts on where we'll be camping and routes?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Last time I went to Wheeler Geologic area, we drove an off road up to the area where the old visitor center is. Lots of fun, good off road but not too hard, but it was a long time ago. Would love to get up there again.
FS600 from Wagon Wheel Gap/CO149 is about 9 miles into Hanson Mill Site (ruins) is where some people camp. It's the main trailhead for 790 into Wheeler Geologic Area but also Halfmoon Pass and some other trails. It's pretty easy road into there.

DSC03011_mid.jpg

The old guard station is about 14 miles beyond Hanson Mill at the end of FS600, which gets more difficult eventually. We've always just hiked from Hanson, which is about a 7 mile walk. The last 5 or so miles of FS600 are a cherry stem into the La Garita Wilderness. There's some room to camp at the end of the road, it's about a 1/4 mile square where the Wilderness boundary is pulled back for dispersed camping.

DSC03026_mid.jpg

Helluva place to lose a cow.

DSC03035_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Are we going to stay camped in one spot the whole weekend and explore or move each night? I was hoping to bring my camper, I can get into Hanson mill.
Good Q. Maybe I'd bring my rig too.

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
@bh4rnnr - held off as long as I could thinking my other plans were going to fall through, but such is not the case: I’m out and sad to miss another Ghost Town Run.

Have a great trip and hope to be on the next one.