• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Ghost Town Run, July 23rd-25th 2021

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
This spot looks awesome! For some reason it doesn't copy and paste into google maps for me. I had to type it in.

I also would love to be able to drop my off road trailer someplace for a couple days of base camping, but it is capable on most any trail. Just a pain to drive around with a trailer all day. We are up for whatever!
I could not search it either. You just re-typed it all?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Really? I trust you Dan, and I was under the impression that we limit the size of group also to reduce trail cluster. I haven't done that trail so I won't lead but if it's acceptable for a B group I will help organize it, and I'll Gun it.
Its a big state! I'm not saying you mash up into the same group but if there's a bunch that want to explore the same area I personally would not be offended. Others may think I'm a jerk. Not that that has ever happened before ....

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I could not search it either. You just re-typed it all?
The coordinates are backwards in google maps. Try this 106°46'51.4"W37°47'29.9"N

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
This spot looks awesome! For some reason it doesn't copy and paste into google maps for me. I had to type it in.

I also would love to be able to drop my off road trailer someplace for a couple days of base camping, but it is capable on most any trail. Just a pain to drive around with a trailer all day. We are up for whatever!
I have driven that road and seen other awesome spots close to that road. I imagine this spot is great and if its a bust, there are many great alternatives nearby and we can find each other by HAM radio. Or hollering.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Hey gang.

Sorry for the late response to this thread. Been a busy few weeks. Trying to make the most of Summer I guess.

I've updated the original post to this thread with current (6/30/2021) list of who's going and who's on the wait list. Reaching out to @dan1554 to see if he is able to make it this year. Flattered by the fact that you all want to hang out with me for a long weekend!

@Old40Dog
@Coyote
@FireMike

Regarding camp: Lets plan on this spot for the weekend: 37°47'29.9"N 106°46'51.4"W ( also try: 106°46'51.4"W 37°47'29.9"N ). Seems like a good location and somewhat close to town. I won't be able to head out till after work ( probably getting that way after dark) on Wednesday. So if someone is able to buzz down there and save it ( or hopefully find something else close by) that would be awesome!

The current plan: Friday I have it set to check out the Bachelor Loop. From what I've read, a mild trail just North of town filled with a bunch of mining relics.

Bachelor Loop

We can also continue North through Rat Creek and also check out Phenix Falls.

Creed Underground Mining Museum looks to be worth a visit.

Saturday is open at this time. Know there is another Waterfall towards Lake City to check out, along with some good mountain lakes further West. Wheeler is close by and I'm open to that as well.

It would be fun/nice to be able to spend a little bit of time checking out Creede.

As for doing a second group? Open. Should have enough goodies for you guys......

:beer::beer:

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Will try to get there on Wednesday. Perry, my offer still stands.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Earliest we can leave is Thursday after work. Puts us there maybe 10 or later. What are we wheeling on Friday?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This is a worthwhile drive if you're a mining history geek. It's not technical (Subaru capable) but makes up for it archeologically.

I don't know how the guide tells you to go. If you run it anti-clockwise starting at the north of town going up Willow Creek and finishing by coming down Rat Creek back to town one of the first things you come across is the Commodore Mine, the majority of which you'll see just above the bridge after you drive under.

There's other good ruins to check out at the Equity, Last Chance and Happy Thought.

commodoreminetunnel.png

commodore_tunnel_creededistrict.jpg

commodore_mine_creededistrict.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

This is a worthwhile drive if you're a mining history geek. It's not technical (Subaru capable) but makes up for it archeologically.

I don't know how the guide tells you to go. If you run it anti-clockwise starting at the north of town going up Willow Creek and finishing by coming down Rat Creek back to town one of the first things you come across is the Commodore Mine, the majority of which you'll see just above the bridge after you drive under.

There's other good ruins to check out at the Equity, Last Chance and Happy Thought.

View attachment 96440

View attachment 96441

View attachment 96439

Thanks for the info Dave! Know it's not a challenging drive but the mining history looks amazing.

bh4rnnr

Will try to get there on Wednesday. Perry, my offer still stands.

Awesome, thanks for helping save the spot Brian!. And thanks for the offer! Though someone already beat you to it (they came out great btw);)

I'm in! There is life after baby!

Was about ready to give up your spot! Glad you can make it this year!

Earliest we can leave is Thursday after work. Puts us there maybe 10 or later. What are we wheeling on Friday?

Gonna be about the same time for when I arrive on Thursday after leaving work.

Plan for Friday is to run the Bachelor Loop. Also looking one of the museums.

A fun video of the Bachelor Loop:

Last Chance Mine Tour could be a fun stop.

Getting excited for the run!

3rdgen

New-ish
Just curious, if someone where to drive up on Friday, what time would they need to be there by? I can plan for a Thursday night arrival, but a Friday morning arrival might work out better for me depending on what time the group plans to start.

ry303

Wincher
My steering rack just died. The seals died and all of the fluid is now on my driveway. :cry:
I am out for this trip. So bummed!!!

arthog

Hard Core 4+
Im out, too. I got my 55 back but it's been sittin for 10 years and there are to many little things that it needs done before it's trip worthy. maybe next time.

bh4rnnr

Just curious, if someone where to drive up on Friday, what time would they need to be there by? I can plan for a Thursday night arrival, but a Friday morning arrival might work out better for me depending on what time the group plans to start.

I'm figuring we will do a wheels up at 9am for Friday. With that, know that @TheHoneyBadger is planning to camp midway on Thursday night. Maybe he can post those locations for you, and others since that seems like a good option?

My steering rack just died. The seals died and all of the fluid is now on my driveway. :cry:
I am out for this trip. So bummed!!!

Im out, too. I got my 55 back but it's been sittin for 10 years and there are to many little things that it needs done before it's trip worthy. maybe next time.

Bummer guys! Will miss having ya!

(did update roster list for who can make it now)

bh4rnnr

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I may be in, need to see how much I can get done on the cruiser. I'm not super invested in going, so if anyone really wants to go, I'd be happy to give up my spot.

3rdgen

New-ish
I'm figuring we will do a wheels up at 9am for Friday. With that, know that @TheHoneyBadger is planning to camp midway on Thursday night. Maybe he can post those locations for you, and others since that seems like a good option?

Thank you for the info. First camping trip for my two boys. Not sure if camping 3 nights would be one to many and if it would be better to just camp 2 nights. We stay in the Breck area. So leaving early on Friday to get there by 9am shouldnt be to much of an issue given that we will still be on the central time zone. I'll see how they are doing after the drive from Chicago on that Wednesday.