• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Ghost Town Run, July 23rd-25th 2021

Last time I went to Wheeler Geologic area, we drove an off road up to the area where the old visitor center is. Lots of fun, good off road but not too hard, but it was a long time ago. Would love to get up there again.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Any thoughts on where we'll be camping and routes?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Last time I went to Wheeler Geologic area, we drove an off road up to the area where the old visitor center is. Lots of fun, good off road but not too hard, but it was a long time ago. Would love to get up there again.
FS600 from Wagon Wheel Gap/CO149 is about 9 miles into Hanson Mill Site (ruins) is where some people camp. It's the main trailhead for 790 into Wheeler Geologic Area but also Halfmoon Pass and some other trails. It's pretty easy road into there.

DSC03011_mid.jpg

The old guard station is about 14 miles beyond Hanson Mill at the end of FS600, which gets more difficult eventually. We've always just hiked from Hanson, which is about a 7 mile walk. The last 5 or so miles of FS600 are a cherry stem into the La Garita Wilderness. There's some room to camp at the end of the road, it's about a 1/4 mile square where the Wilderness boundary is pulled back for dispersed camping.

DSC03026_mid.jpg

Helluva place to lose a cow.

DSC03035_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Are we going to stay camped in one spot the whole weekend and explore or move each night? I was hoping to bring my camper, I can get into Hanson mill.
Good Q. Maybe I'd bring my rig too.

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
@bh4rnnr - held off as long as I could thinking my other plans were going to fall through, but such is not the case: I’m out and sad to miss another Ghost Town Run.

Have a great trip and hope to be on the next one.

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
Looks like there is a lot of demand for exploring this area. I'd like to run some of the high alpine trails in the area this summer so maybe another run is warranted. I'm going to start another thread for a different run (and not gunk up @bh4rnnr post). Folks that are on the waitlist here may want to consider. I'm thinking meet up in Gunnison and run down and jump on Cebolla Pass and run it to just outside of Lake City. We can can camp at the start of Cebolla near Lake City, then run the Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Pass) in one day, link back to camp. Head home the next day. Look out for another thread on this.

@RayRay27 @kurtnkegger @Danger Noodle @u_NO_me @ChewBaca @Lars

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Looks like there is a lot of demand for exploring this area. I'd like to run some of the high alpine trails in the area this summer so maybe another run is warranted. I'm going to start another thread for a different run (and not gunk up @bh4rnnr post). Folks that are on the waitlist here may want to consider. I'm thinking meet up in Gunnison and run down and jump on Cebolla Pass and run it to just outside of Lake City. We can can camp at the start of Cebolla near Lake City, then run the Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Pass) in one day, link back to camp. Head home the next day. Look out for another thread on this.

@RayRay27 @kurtnkegger @Danger Noodle @u_NO_me @ChewBaca @Lars
The Bookcliff Cruisers are going to be in and around Ouray the weekend of 7/23-7/26, too.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Not to be pushy but is there any updates on where will be staying at or the camping situation? I would like to bring my small pop up but I am not sure If what the area is like or if the trails will allow it?

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Not to be pushy but is there any updates on where will be staying at or the camping situation? I would like to bring my small pop up but I am not sure If what the area is like or if the trails will allow it?

Not a problem! And sorry haven't posted much on this lately. Just been busy.

One spot I'm looking at for a base camp is: 37°50'25.7"N 106°53'55.6"W. Found it via Google Earth and looks like it could hold a good size
group.

With that, I am open to suggestions for camp, as this area is completely new to me. I've also decided to cut out Lake City and focus more on Creede and the surrounding country. Hopefully making things a bit more relaxed.

Been working on a few things for this years trip. Pretty excited how there coming out.

I'll update original post in a bit.

:beer::beer:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Ok,

Feel this might be another possible spot for base camp. Looks like it could hold a good sized group. Not to far from town.

37°47'29.9"N 106°46'51.4"W​

:beer: :beer:

3rdgen

New-ish
Just out of curiosity, aproximately what time is the planned start time on Friday? I know it was stated that Friday will be a full day of wheeling but Im not sure what you guys consider a full day of wheeling. Ill be coming from Breck, not sure if I should plan on camping Thursday night, or ifs reasonable for me to leave early Friday morning.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Perry just checking to see if you updated the waiting list? I asked to be put on it a while ago. Thanks bud.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I'm way late to the party but please put me on the waiting list too. I know my chances are slim :(

Coyote

I asked to be on the B squad wait list in May and I’m not listed, so pretty sure there’s no hope for us slackers. …

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I definitely am of the mindset that you B-squad wait-list Caspers better be haunting us with a run of your own hot on our heels! Make it happen, crash the party!

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
I definitely am of the mindset that you B-squad wait-list Caspers better be haunting us with a run of your own hot on our heels! Make it happen, crash the party!
Really? I trust you Dan, and I was under the impression that we limit the size of group also to reduce trail cluster. I haven't done that trail so I won't lead but if it's acceptable for a B group I will help organize it, and I'll Gun it.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Ok,

Feel this might be another possible spot for base camp. Looks like it could hold a good sized group. Not to far from town.

37°47'29.9"N 106°46'51.4"W​

:beer: :beer:
This spot looks awesome! For some reason it doesn't copy and paste into google maps for me. I had to type it in.

I also would love to be able to drop my off road trailer someplace for a couple days of base camping, but it is capable on most any trail. Just a pain to drive around with a trailer all day. We are up for whatever!