*Fourth Annual Ghost Town Run!* July 19th & 20, 2008

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, we are planning on coming out on Friday with our trailer, we can help reserve any spots necessary and then move to a non-tent site for others who need it.

We are excited for this one! One of my fondest wheeling memories!

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
If anyone is interested I'm going to leave on friday hopefully early. I plan to get down to see if I can run old monarch pass, middle quartz, waunita pass then over tomichi to meet Nathaniels group around romely and the MM mine. 2 meter will be handy.

Any takers?

ttubb

Gas Top Off

Today I drove from CB to Woodland Park over Cottonwood Pass.

For those planning to top off on fuel prior to meeting at Johnson Village, I suggest filling at Buena Vista versus Johnson Village. Reg Unleaded is $4.02 at BV and $4.26 at Johnson Village. If you happen to be coming through Woodland Park, it is $3.88. Just FYI, Terry

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks, Terry.

Any takers for Wes' plan for Friday?

So far i seem to see that folks leaving Friday will be
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes

Any other that I did not see?

We will be leaving Thursday early. I will be looking for folks as you pull in.
I think we are going to go with the "bring meat for your party and a side dish to share" dinner idea for saturday. Right now I am planning on bringing my gas grill from home, but that may change. The pre-run will help determine if it is necessary.

Jethro

Looks like I'll be driving down on Friday. I need to get away.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
If anyone is interested I'm going to leave on friday hopefully early. I plan to get down to see if I can run old monarch pass, middle quartz, waunita pass then over tomichi to meet Nathaniels group around romely and the MM mine. 2 meter will be handy.

Any takers?

I'm in Wes, I was planning on heading out early too. Let me know what your thoughts on a time and maybe we can caravan, although I don't know if I can keep pace with the turbo 70. :thumb:

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
I'm in for being down there friday afternoon. I've got a little portable gas grill we could use if needed.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm planning on running with Wes on Friday, early. Did the meat get voted on Wednesday to be bought by the club?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bonni just pointed out on the Calander that we have other plans on that Saturday. I guess I am suppose to look there before I make plans.

So we won't be able to make it. Sounds like a humdinger of an event with more people than we have had on any run before.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm planning on running with Wes on Friday, early. Did the meat get voted on Wednesday to be bought by the club?

It was voted to be bought by the club on the forum. It would be nice to be able to pick up the meat and have it ready to cook when we get to camp, but I dunno. Maybe you (subzali) and I need to confer about this and come up with a plan.

Bonni just pointed out on the Calander that we have other plans on that Saturday. I guess I am suppose to look there before I make plans.

So we won't be able to make it. Sounds like a humdinger of an event with more people than we have had on any run before.

Sorry to hear that. I am sure we won't have too much fun without you. :D

So now our friday guests are:
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes
Martin
Jethro
Lexusben
Subzali
Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate

Convert

Hard Core 4+
BVB and I will meet you at the Saturday morning location after a leisurely night of camping and breakfast at Reinmuth Ranch.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
We'll be arriving friday at the campground also leaving after work. Anyone got a recomendation for quickest/easiest way from Vail pulling a pop-up?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We'll be arriving friday at the campground also leaving after work. Anyone got a recomendation for quickest/easiest way from Vail pulling a pop-up?

I thin the two ways to get there are over Monarch Pass from Salida down from Leadville to Pitkin, or over Cottonwood Pass to Tincup, then over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin.

Sure bet is Monarch Pass, but Cottonwood and Cumberland are open so says the Gunnison Ranger Distric Road Conditions.

I called again this morning and din't get the same ranger as last time. She seemed to be less than enthused about giving me information about road conditions, but repeated what the above link says. Tincup Pass, Alpine Tunnel and Hancock Pass roads are still closed. Pre run in a couple of days will determine what the plan becomes should the snow block our way two weeks from now.

ttubb

Pop-up and camp ground sites

Farnham, I drove to the campground today, from Parlin. It is about 40 minutes from Parlin on mostly paved (til Pitkin) then good dirt roads. There are seven sites, two occupied today but that does not mean anything. Best bet would be Monarch pass I think.

For all, you have to go to the end of the road to the "official" campground, however about one mile prior there are numerous sites if we fill the F/S grounds.

Saw two FJ-40s and one FJ-60 parked in Ohio City. T

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like we won't make the run this year -- my Uncle just called, and he and my Aunt will be in town that weekend. Thanks, and we'll look forward to the pictures.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sorry to hear that, Matt. We will miss the Farr Clan!

List of folks I have as indicating they are going:
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
3.Capen4
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer (x2)
21.Jethro
22.LexusBen
23. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
24. BVB
25. WESintl
26. Steve H

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Too much to do on Friday night for us to get out in time, so we'll be leaving early Saturday morning and meeting the group in Johnson Village. What time are we to be at Johnson Village, 9:00? If so I'd be willing to "lead" the morning crew from King Soopers in Aspen Park at 07:00, if anyone wants to roll together.

Also, do you still need/want firewood? I can easily toss some on the roof rack, let me know if anyone in the Friday crew wants to come load up.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Maybe if Martin, Wes and I are rolling through Friday morning we could swing by for some firewood - though it would take 1/2 tank in my 40 to get up to your house from the highway :rolleyes:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah but you'll get it all back on the way down.. and it's 3.5 miles.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I just split and cord or two, so I can throw a few bundles into my 60 since I'll have room.