*Fourth Annual Ghost Town Run!* July 19th & 20, 2008

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
If all goes as planned i will be driving up friday night after work, but will probably roll in late... can'twait to get out of the heat of the city!!
If i bring the runner i am sure you will all hear me well before you see me

So now our friday guests are:
Nuclearlemon
Wes
Rezarf
Wes
Martin
Jethro
Lexusben
Subzali
Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate

If anyone is interested I'm going to leave on friday hopefully early. I plan to get down to see if I can run old monarch pass, middle quartz, waunita pass then over tomichi to meet Nathaniels group around romely and the MM mine. 2 meter will be handy.

Any takers?

Wesintl,

We're interested. We plan to depart Great Sand Dunes on Friday. Where should we meet you? Our commo is limited to FMRS/GMRS, cell phones, and smoke signals. I googled those trails, and they look stocker friendly- is that in fact the case?

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I haven't been on them myself but I believe they are stock friendly.

So far I think it's only subzali and mdh33. We can make a cell phone contact and try to meet maybe somewhere like poncha springs. I guess it depends on when we leave denver. I'll see what's good for the other 2.

Nathaniel, Depending on what kind of time we make we may not camp with you friday. My intent was to camp at Snowblind then meet you up at st elmo in the morning.

I guess I need to find out if Tomichi and handcock are still closed.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Pre run report

Lexusben and I prerun the GTR friday afternoon to saturday morning. Lexusben has pics and will be posting them soon.

Here is the scoop:
Hancock is closed and still has one 50 yard slide AFAIK that blocks the last 200 yards of road on the west side toward the summit. Forest Service signs block the last 1/2 mile. Hancock is open (again, AFAIK), past the one slide we saw. The west side has been summited as reported by the Bushducks.com high country pass info page.

The Alpine Tunnel Road is open as of July 9th. We didn't make it up there, due to Hancock being closed. But the Gunnison Ranger office reports it open.

Cumberland Pass is open.

Tincup Pass is closed on the east side due to a slide right at the top of the trail just befroe it gets to the actual pass. I mean we're talking just before. The slide is on the south (sunny) side and is approximately 200+ yards long. Unless a miracle happens, Tincup will not be open to cross by next Sunday.

Here is what we are going to do. We will stay the course of the trip. There is a very good chance that Hancock Pass will be open by saturday.

Ben and I also decided to ask our resident Land Use gurus about possibly asking permission from the Gunnison Ranger district to volunteer to shovel Hancock pass open on Friday. With as many people heading out friday, if we were to get a group of people together it might take as little as 2-3 hours and we would be in business. Plus, we could count that as hours volunteered, which is awesome. Red_Chili seems to think they may be responsive to that, but we won't know for sure until Monday, when I can call and ask them.

If Hancock remains closed and we can't shovel it open, Saturday will be visiting in St Elmo, going up Hancock Pass and then we will have backtrack to swing wide over Monarch pass (popups probably need to go that way anyway) and up to Pitkin to the CG. Sunday will be a trip up to the Alpine Tunnel, and back and over Cumberland Pass to the Town of Tincup. At that point it will be up to everyones discretion on how to get home. Either over Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista (dirt road but easy) or back over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin, home via Monarch pass.

If Hancock is open or we shovel it open, we will do everything except TinCup Pass itself.

What we need now is a show of hands for those folks who are heading out friday if they might possibly be willing to shovel the pass open instead of doing other, much more fun things. This is all dependant on if we can do this, of course.

Anyone?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Waunita Hot Springs

Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in? There's some interesting history there. Discovered about 1885, by 1916 its radium hot springs, its new hotel and "numerous daintily furnished cottages and well equipped sanitarium" brought patrons to dabble in the waters, attracted by the advertisement which promised that: Drinking the waters at the hot fountain, bathing in the large and excellently appointed swimming pool...inhaling the gases and steam rising from the impregnated waters..." and having "packings of the radium mud are some of the means and methods of transforming the sick and the invalid to health and restored vigor".

My Gunnison Basin F.S. map indicates the Waunita Hot Springs area is private property. We've never been there before. Have you?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Snow Blind Gulch

Hey, Wes, looks like you'll be camping at Snowblind CG? Can I tell you how it got its name? In the 1860's, two men located some pay dirt, built a flume and washed out a pound of gold per man per day! Snow drove them away from their diggings for the winter, and while working their way out they either became snow blind or were killed by Ute Indians. At any rate, their story became a legend and hundreds of prospectors tried to find Snow Blind Gulch, the source of their gold. Years later in Snow Blind Gulch on Tomichi Creek, some traces of Long Tom sluices and the remains of an old whipsaw were found in the bushes along the stream, lending credence to the story. It is said that the area is still rich in gold deposits. There's supposed to be good fishing up the road past Whitepine.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
If I arrive early enough I'd help, but I'm not sure I can skip out of work entirely that day. Could a snowblower be used? I don't have one. Just a thinking out loud.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in? There's some interesting history there. Discovered about 1885, by 1916 its radium hot springs, its new hotel and "numerous daintily furnished cottages and well equipped sanitarium" brought patrons to dabble in the waters, attracted by the advertisement which promised that: Drinking the waters at the hot fountain, bathing in the large and excellently appointed swimming pool...inhaling the gases and steam rising from the impregnated waters..." and having "packings of the radium mud are some of the means and methods of transforming the sick and the invalid to health and restored vigor".

My Gunnison Basin F.S. map indicates the Waunita Hot Springs area is private property. We've never been there before. Have you?

I haven't been up there but I always thought that the only pools were at the wuanita ranch. There is day use of them though from what i've read on the net http://www.waunitasprings.com/rates.htm. I'd like to explore the area more, we'll see what else is there. The snow blind history sounds neat. With tomichi closed I guess we'll see what to do when we get down there. We may make it over to quartz to camp.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey, Wes, is anything left of the swimming pool at Wuanita Hot Springs, or are there hot springs that a person could dip in?

I'm not Wes, but I can answer this. Last year after the Ouray trip, we caravaned with the Hants White family to the Waunita Hot Springs after seeing it on a map. It's part of a "guest ranch." Here is their website for the summer dude ranch. They actually have another website for the winter.

We arrived there on Labor Day, mid-afternoon. The hot springs are normally closed in the summertime to walk-up users, since they are part of the dude ranch. We got lucky -- all the guests had checked out, so they were more than happy to take our money and let the Whites and the Farrs splash around in the pool for a few hours. It was a lot of fun. $10/adult and $5/child. Cheap and wonderful.

We also ran Old Monarch Pass which is basically a dirt road, IIRC. The fact that I remember so little of it should give you an inkling of how memorable it was. Not very.

If you want to go there, I would say give them a call first. If you make arrangements in advance, you might be able to go for a dip.

Last edited:

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Here are the pics from the pre run.

Hancock Pass

Hancock.JPG

Hancock Barriers

Barriers.JPG

Tincup

Tin Cup.JPG

Poser Trip Shot

Trip Shot.JPG

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
Hey, Wes, looks like you'll be camping at Snowblind CG? Can I tell you how it got its name? In the 1860's, two men located some pay dirt, built a flume and washed out a pound of gold per man per day! Snow drove them away from their diggings for the winter, and while working their way out they either became snow blind or were killed by Ute Indians. At any rate, their story became a legend and hundreds of prospectors tried to find Snow Blind Gulch, the source of their gold. Years later in Snow Blind Gulch on Tomichi Creek, some traces of Long Tom sluices and the remains of an old whipsaw were found in the bushes along the stream, lending credence to the story. It is said that the area is still rich in gold deposits. There's supposed to be good fishing up the road past Whitepine.

Cool Bruce, I love hearing the stories behing the names of places in the mountains. As i get older i find i like learning history more and more...

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
So it looks like a no-go for Hancock pass.....

Were still in

Groucho thanks for the info, it was very helpful. After a BAD 4th night run with another club we have been hesitant on taking a new ride on something else. The PIC with the FJ was a teaser. Still looking forward to this one. We got a killer deal the the truck fest this weekend but don't think i will have it in time. On to plan B. Looks like we are still in unless something major happens. Dont think we will make it friday due to gas. No sense to run all the way to the CG only to have to go back the way we came the next morning. So what time are we meeting at Johnson Village Food Mart on Saturday? For Saturday night i read that the RS is providing the meat. Is this for everyone or just club members? If for everyone what are we to provide? Sorry to be anal or ask to many questions just trying to be prepared. Total count for me now stands at 2A 1 4yr old and a 80 pound beast. Our oldest pup passed a few weeks back so we are 1 less. Look forward to a good time with all. See you then.

Redcreeper

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Too many posts since the pre run report. This was already on page 2...

Lexusben and I prerun the GTR friday afternoon to saturday morning. Lexusben has pics and will be posting them soon.

Here is the scoop:
Hancock is closed and still has one 50 yard slide AFAIK that blocks the last 200 yards of road on the west side toward the summit. Forest Service signs block the last 1/2 mile. Hancock is open (again, AFAIK), past the one slide we saw. The west side has been summited as reported by the Bushducks.com high country pass info page.

The Alpine Tunnel Road is open as of July 9th. We didn't make it up there, due to Hancock being closed. But the Gunnison Ranger office reports it open.

Cumberland Pass is open.

Tincup Pass is closed on the east side due to a slide right at the top of the trail just befroe it gets to the actual pass. I mean we're talking just before. The slide is on the south (sunny) side and is approximately 200+ yards long. Unless a miracle happens, Tincup will not be open to cross by next Sunday.

Here is what we are going to do. We will stay the course of the trip. There is a very good chance that Hancock Pass will be open by saturday.

Ben and I also decided to ask our resident Land Use gurus about possibly asking permission from the Gunnison Ranger district to volunteer to shovel Hancock pass open on Friday. With as many people heading out friday, if we were to get a group of people together it might take as little as 2-3 hours and we would be in business. Plus, we could count that as hours volunteered, which is awesome. Red_Chili seems to think they may be responsive to that, but we won't know for sure until Monday, when I can call and ask them.

If Hancock remains closed and we can't shovel it open, Saturday will be visiting in St Elmo, going up Hancock Pass and then we will have backtrack to swing wide over Monarch pass (popups probably need to go that way anyway) and up to Pitkin to the CG. Sunday will be a trip up to the Alpine Tunnel, and back and over Cumberland Pass to the Town of Tincup. At that point it will be up to everyones discretion on how to get home. Either over Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista (dirt road but easy) or back over Cumberland Pass to Pitkin, home via Monarch pass.

If Hancock is open or we shovel it open, we will do everything except TinCup Pass itself.

What we need now is a show of hands for those folks who are heading out friday if they might possibly be willing to shovel the pass open instead of doing other, much more fun things. This is all dependant on if we can do this, of course.

Anyone?

So it looks like a no-go for Hancock pass.....

The plan is to try and call the Gunnison Ranger Distric and see if they are open to us shoveling the pass open.

Groucho thanks for the info, it was very helpful. After a BAD 4th night run with another club we have been hesitant on taking a new ride on something else. The PIC with the FJ was a teaser. Still looking forward to this one. We got a killer deal the the truck fest this weekend but don't think i will have it in time. On to plan B. Looks like we are still in unless something major happens. Dont think we will make it friday due to gas. No sense to run all the way to the CG only to have to go back the way we came the next morning. So what time are we meeting at Johnson Village Food Mart on Saturday? For Saturday night i read that the RS is providing the meat. Is this for everyone or just club members? If for everyone what are we to provide? Sorry to be anal or ask to many questions just trying to be prepared. Total count for me now stands at 2A 1 4yr old and a 80 pound beast. Our oldest pup passed a few weeks back so we are 1 less. Look forward to a good time with all. See you then.

Redcreeper

Posting up final details now...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Woohoo, Mrs. Chili may even join me, she sounds interested.
She asked if it was pretty like Iron Chest was, I said yes indeedy. She asked if I thought the Father's Day run was pretty, I said yes. She said she thought it wasn't...
:confused:
Go figger. But I told her this WAS the Iron Chest area, so my credibility was (slightly) restored.

wesintl

RS Moderator
In the first pic.. Is that all that needs to be shoveled on handcock for both sides?

Jethro

I'll be around

I'm trying to keep up with this crazy thread.

I'm taking Friday off and would love to shovel snow on Hancock. Or soak at Waunita HS!

I'll pack my shovel.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Is Hancock in the GRD, or SRD?

OBTW, I plan on bringing our Shelties. They might enjoy meeting Bruce's.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The shelties will enjoy each other.

Is Hancock in the GRD, or SRD?

OBTW, I plan on bringing our Shelties. They might enjoy meeting Bruce's.

Hancock is Shared (as is Tincup IIRC) between both the SRD & the GRD.

I spoke with Janice at the GRD this morning. She said as long as we create proper drainage assist so the road is not worsened by the water and travel on it, she couldn't see why they wouldn't allow us to shovel open the pass. I am waiting for her call back because she wanted to verify with the District Ranger that her thoughts were good, and he was in meetings most of the morning.

I also left a message with Steve at the SRD asking him about our request and that he return my call. Nothing yet.

I am waiting to post the thread with all of the details so I don't put the cart before the horse. Regardless, I will post all of the details by this afternoon.