• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

*Fourth Annual Ghost Town Run!* July 19th & 20, 2008

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In the first pic.. Is that all that needs to be shoveled on handcock for both sides?

AFAIK, yes. I read on the bushducks.com High country pass page that Hancock pass had been reached on the west side, with a coule small drifts that were easily passed. The majority of the remaining snow is on the east side. What you see is what I believe to be all of it. There can't be anything bigger any further up, there is basically only two 200 yard switchbacks and you're at the pass.

I'm trying to keep up with this crazy thread.

I'm taking Friday off and would love to shovel snow on Hancock. Or soak at Waunita HS!

I'll pack my shovel.

I tried to update this page with my findings from the weekend! Talk to Bruce for posting multiple time when he could have posted once!

Thanks for packing your shovel. I'll pack 2.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm packing two. And gloves.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Trip Details For The Ghost Town Run 2008

Ok, here goes. If I forget anything, or don't answer something, please ask.

The 4th annual GTR will OFFICIALLY be from Saturday, July 19th, thru to Sunday July 20th.

I was waiting to hear from the Ranger Districts before posting this, but they haven't called me back yet. Based on my conversations this morning I have a good feeling that we will be OK'd to shovel out Hancock Pass Friday. Details on that to come.

Meeting places are as follows:
For those coming from Denver on Saturday morning--Meeting Place is at 7AM at the King Soopers Parking lot in ASPEN PARK. Link for directions Volunteering to lead this group to Buena Vista (Johnson Village) is NAKMAN (Green FZJ80).

For those heading to the campground Friday or before--The Campground is Middle Quartz Creek Campground. Heres the link to directions. The directions take you to the beginning of NF 767 road. From here you take NF 767 all the way back until it deadends in Middle Quartz Creek Camprgound. If you are planning on being there Friday, plan on a high speed run over Hancock Pass down to meet everyone in Johnson Village by 9AM. Hancock Pass is probably a 3-4 out of 10 on the 4WD scale. We will be trying to secure as many of the sites in the CG as we can on Thursday. Anyone who can volunteer a tent please get with me.

What to bring:
This is an overnight run. Please bring all you think you will need to camp overnight at 9500' in elevation. A jacket and pants are probably the minimum. When we did the pre-run last Friday, we slept at 11000' and it got fairly (but not uncomfortable) cold. Probably 40° as a low. Bring sunscreen. The sun was HOT!

There is a potluck dinner planned for Saturday night. It will be set up as bring your own main dish (meat/veggie/chix) to cook just for your family and a side dish to share with 4-8 people. I will post a list of things we need specific volunteers for. Last year this worked really well and we had more food than we could eat.

Dogs are welcome. Please be mindful of your dogs and your kids.

There are only pit or primitive toilets, so bring toilet paper and garbage bags to pack out what you pack in.

Communication:
CB Channel will be CH 4
HAM radio will be 146.460 MhZ.

Where we will be going:The first day--Starting In St Elmo, we will go up and over Hancock Pass to the Alpine Tunnel Historic District. Then we camp in Middle Quartz Creek Campground (or other primitive sites near there).

Second day---Starting in the CG, we head over Cumberland Pass to the town of TinCup. Then we will have lunch at Mirror Lake, and drive up the North side of TinCup Pass (as far as we can go). Then we turn around and go home either over Cumberland Pass to pickup pop-ups, or over CottonWood Pass to Buena Vista. (This is due to TinCup Pass being closed).

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I'm not coming from Denver - so if I want to meet the group in Johnson Village (BV, whatever) on Sat. AM, what time and where do I meet you?

Thanks,

Steve

I in the same boat as Steve. I maybe be able to hook up with the Denver group somewhere on the way to Johnson Village. I am coming from the north near Longmont. Any ideas or time for Johnson Village or anyone want to hook up on the way?

Kenny

Never mind took a closer look and looks like i will try and meet you guys at King Sooper. Thought i was going a different way. Doh!

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Colo Springs info...

I'm not coming from Denver - so if I want to meet the group in Johnson Village (BV, whatever) on Sat. AM, what time and where do I meet you?

Thanks,

Steve

9AM departure time from Johnson Village. Should be an easy trip from the spings.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
gonna skip this one, ya'll have fun :eek:/

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
This kills me, but we are out due to a few things at work. ARGGG! :rant: this is one I have been looking forward to.

Nathaniel, that would open up our spot if you have a waiting list.

:bawl: I heard this is the route not to miss too! I don't want to take up a spot that someone else could use, and our chances of making it are less than 50/50.

Have a freggin' blast!

:thumb:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Updated

List of folks I have as indicating they are going:
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon
3.Capen4
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Squishy
7.Nakman
8.Treeroot
9.rock dog
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer (x2)
21.Jethro
22.LexusBen
23. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
24. BVB
25. WESintl
26. Steve H
27. Convert

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i will be there friday still. planning on leaving around 8 or 9 to middle quartz. will gladly help shovel in needed.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It's just gonna be me and Ty. :(
Oh well, the 4Runner will make a more than adequate tent!

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We have been given the go ahead to shovel!!

Salida Called yesterday and left a message that we were able to hand shovel Hancock pass open!!

Woo-Hoo!! Bring your shovel and a lounge chair!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Salida Called yesterday and left a message that we were able to hand shovel Hancock pass open!!

What time Friday is the shovel party happening? :clap:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Shovel Party.

What time Friday is the shovel party happening? :clap:

I am not sure. We will be heading up from the Pitkin side. My guess is that it would be better to start earlier due to t-storms in the afternoon. I'm guessing between 9AM and 10AM on Friday.

For those with HAM, we will be monitoring 146.460MhZ. If you come from the St Elmo side and we have anything to shovel on the west side, just give a hollar.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Hey d00d, you are our first volunteer opportunity with the SRD! :bowdown::clap:

Now if they would only get back to me on Iron Chest adoption...
bluduh.gif

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, lo and behold, I used this as an impetus to try to contact the SRD again via email and a phone call. I got the ranger, Bill Schuckert. We ACTUALLY SPOKE ABOUT IRON CHEST, and I mentioned that we had volunteers that had gotten permission to shovel the snow on Hancock and thanked him for that.

DOH! He said no one had checked with him, so he was going to verify who gave permission, and I gave him your phone numbers, Groucho, to verify. Sheesh. In all fairness he was out, so there was an acting ranger who probably said OK. They are very careful with the roadbeds out there, especially with the extreme runoff and moisture levels, so that is behind his caution.

I fear I did more harm than good, from one perspective at least, but far better to find out now with the man himself than get caught in the RD's lack of internal communication...

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Without putting too fine a point on it, is there a particular place in Johnson Village (one of those big truck stops) where people meet - or should I just hang out there and keep an eye out for bunch of 'cruisers rolling into town? Thanks - Steve

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Without putting too fine a point on it, is there a particular place in Johnson Village (one of those big truck stops) where people meet - or should I just hang out there and keep an eye out for bunch of 'cruisers rolling into town? Thanks - Steve

Gunsmoke Truck Stop Parking lot.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Hay BVB

T-minus 2 hours and the Brisket is going on the smoker 5.75 pounds of heaven 10 to 14 hours of smoke and a little Love. Yummm yummmm cant wait For GTR dinner :thumb: