*Fourth Annual Ghost Town Run!* July 19th & 20, 2008

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
*update* 6-16-08 List

We are nearing a cap for vehicles! Please post up soon if you plan to go, or if you are in the "unsure" crowd, please indicate if you are a go or no-go. We usually have 5% or so fallout by the day we go, but we need to know so we can plan for how many!

List of folks I have as indicating they are going (A ? indicates unsure):
1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
3.Nuclearlemon's friend from work
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino?
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?

It is time again to plan for one of the most exciting runs of the year! The Ghost Town Run! This year marks the fourth annual run, and we intend to make it another great one!
We are going to re-trace our roots, and re-run the very first GTR route again. We will start out meeting either at the Geocut at the Morrison exit off of I-70, where the convoy will begin, or in Johnson Village(Just south of Buena Vista at the intersection of US40 and US285) on Saturday, July 19th 2008.

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the Middle Quartz Campground where, during the original run in 2005, we had the entire CG to ourselves. We end up visiting the towns of Tincup, St Elmo, and Pitkin, and going over passes such as Hancock, Tincup and Cumberland. We also make that awesome trip to the west portal of the Alpine tunnel, which was once the nations highest railroad tunnels that also crossed the continental divide. Originally part of the Denver South Park & Pacific railroad, it was an engineering feat that still holds awe and imagination for all generations.

We will be looking to camp friday night in the campground for those folks interested, and then meeting everyone at the truckstop in Johnson Village on saturday morning.

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

Plus we might be the subject of a very famous author's book--But don't let that out just yet!

Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaeces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.
Middle Quartz Creek CG
Maximize the screen, Pitkin is to the far left, and the red circle is where the CG is. CO 839 is visible above the road to the CG, and that is how we come into the CG from Hancock Pass.
I will be staging a recon party to get some good detailed fotos of the CG later on as spring snow melts.

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45° overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up. Congrats!

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'm in fo sur

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I'l be there...although if anyone from state association asks, i'm on a business trip..i'm skipping a board meeting for this:D

Jethro

Can I go?

If there is room, can I go?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm definitely in. Kim and I were just down that way this weekend. Awesome trails and great scenery! We'll be bringing the FJ60 hopefully. :beer:

We still in, 2 Adults, 1 4yr old (her first trip) and 2 dogs. one you will never know is there. so how many will fit in a Fj Cruiser.....

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Updated 6-18-08

We are nearing a cap for vehicles! Please post up soon if you plan to go, or if you are in the "unsure" crowd, please indicate if you are a go or no-go. We usually have 5% or so fallout by the day we go, but we need to know so we can plan for how many!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen

It is time again to plan for one of the most exciting runs of the year! The Ghost Town Run! This year marks the fourth annual run, and we intend to make it another great one!
We are going to re-trace our roots, and re-run the very first GTR route again. We will start out meeting either at the Geocut at the Morrison exit off of I-70, where the convoy will begin, or in Johnson Village(Just south of Buena Vista at the intersection of US40 and US285) on Saturday, July 19th 2008.

This is an overnight trip and we will camp in the Middle Quartz Campground where, during the original run in 2005, we had the entire CG to ourselves. We end up visiting the towns of Tincup, St Elmo, and Pitkin, and going over passes such as Hancock, Tincup and Cumberland. We also make that awesome trip to the west portal of the Alpine tunnel, which was once the nations highest railroad tunnels that also crossed the continental divide. Originally part of the Denver South Park & Pacific railroad, it was an engineering feat that still holds awe and imagination for all generations.

We will be looking to camp friday night in the campground for those folks interested, and then meeting everyone at the truckstop in Johnson Village on saturday morning.

If the camping situation is the same as the first year, we will have plenty of camping spots. Please stay tuned for more details, and post up if you, your families and dogs are going to make it!!

Plus we might be the subject of a very famous author's book--But don't let that out just yet!

Popup Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.
Middle Quartz Creek CG
Maximize the screen, Pitkin is to the far left, and the red circle is where the CG is. CO 839 is visible above the road to the CG, and that is how we come into the CG from Hancock Pass.
I will be staging a recon party to get some good detailed fotos of the CG later on as spring snow melts.

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45° overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up.

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.[/QUOTE]

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I'm planning on coming on this trip, likely with a friend. Sounds like a blast! I'd just camp on Sat. night.

Steve
'78 FJ40 or '95 FZJ80

bvb

Looks like I'll be able to make it looking at the calendar today! The :Princess: is warming up to the idea of joining us too! I'll stay intouch....

subzali

Hard Core 4+
CJ7 Matt might be down...

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
**ghost Town Run Is Full!!**6-23-08

We are at the cap for vehicles!

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 26 names. Please be fair to everyone and post up if you are not definitely in to go. In the past years we have had many no-shows, and I would like to avoid that simply because we have turned folks away. If you can't commit, please open your space up for someone who can.

Look for pictures and a pre-run report hopefully coming before next meeting!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
24. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
25. BVB
26. WESintl?

Popup Campers would do ok, but the CG is not overwhelmed with large spaces. Yes, same CG for both Friday and Saturday. **The run itself is just an overnight on Saturday. ** Some of us like to go up the night before, but that means that we are up early to meet eveyone else on Saturday morning. The good thing about the CG is that it is not easily accessable to the Geo Tracker folks, and there are many spaces just outside the CG "proper" that we used the first trip that were technically "primitive" spaces. The CG itself is is just south of CO 839 which is the road that leads from Pitkin to the west portal of the Alpine Tunnel. The road is actually CO 767, and it goes off almost 3 miles on its own and dead ends into a loop. See the link.
Middle Quartz Creek CG

We will have (for the second time!) our 3-4 mo old with us. During the first GTR, we had Emilee with us, who also was 3-4 months old. It was a chilly 45° overnight at 9500 feet above sea level, and she did awesome bundled up.

Tincup Pass is by far the most difficult that we will be doing. Hancock is a close second in terms of difficulty, and Cumberland is everything but paved. Any stock rig with a capable driver will not have any issue with the terrain.

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
me me me

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sorry,Wes, I thought I had you in there somewhere.:D

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Nathanial,

Per my posting on 6/18 - did I not make the cut? Just wondered.

Steve (SteveH)

SteveH
Locked Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning on coming on this trip, likely with a friend. Sounds like a blast! I'd just camp on Sat. night.

Steve
'78 FJ40 or '95 FZJ80

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Did I forget anyone else? I am sorry if I did.

We are at the cap for vehicles!

Unless someone takes their name off the list, we will place the cap at these 27 names. Please be fair to everyone and post up if you are not definitely in to go. In the past years we have had many no-shows, and I would like to avoid that simply because we have turned folks away. If you can't commit, please open your space up for someone who can.

Look for pictures and a pre-run report hopefully coming before next meeting!

1.Groucho
2.Nuclearlemon?
4.Red Chili
5.Timmbuck2
6.Corbet?
7.BH4rnnr
8.Treeroot
9.CBmontgo
10.psfpilot
11.farnham
12.ifd270ben
13.MDH33
14.Rover67
15.Subzali
16.Rezarf?
17.Mendocino
18.Red Creeper
19.TTUBB
20.Romer?
21.Hulk?
22.Jethro
23.LexusBen
24. Bruce Miller & Kiowa Kate
25. BVB
26. WESintl?
27. Steve H

Middle Quartz Creek CG

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
If a place opens up i would definately like to go. :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
And we're in, hopefully both nights but for sure Saturday, should be a great RTT opportunity. :thumb:

from post 32. And we're still in. :eek:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Well, it's looking like the 4runners not going to be ready for the Ghost Town Run:( . Was able to get the tent, just not the other stuff that was needed in time. I tried convincing Kurt Williams to join us, but was a no go. So i'm happy to offer my spot to who ever can use it.

I'm still planning on going, and would like to ask/bum a ride for the weekend. Don't mind in helping with whatever is needed, gas, food, etc... TIA!

:beer::beer: