FJZ80 Gets a new bumper

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I do have to say. My Millermatic 211 is a completely different animal on 220v. Bumper shell is tacked and first two real welds are in place. Waiting for the duty cycle to catch up. Close up of the 1/4" wing and 3/16" main shell joint.

Nice, I was going to ask you if you got your welder circuit in after all of that discussion, and you're still alive. Thats good.

You know, you should go out there and give that poor old 40 a hug or something, it looks lonely sitting out there in the snowstorm with no headlights.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Is the over temp light coming on, or are you popping the breaker? I only have the MM180 and I can crank it up to wide open and do a lot of welding before it shuts down. In fact, only BJ welding on his bumper for like an hour caused it to go into thermal shut down.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I'm not popping any breakers nor have I seen the temp light. But I can tell when its getting warm by the weld bead and I just give it a rest.

The 40 will be lonely for a while:eek:

Nah, don't stop there, run it till it stops itself. then wait :D

My Hobart 187 will run for a pretty decent time even cranked all the way up to do 3/8" stuff. Can probably weld about 3 feet of bead before it shut itself off for a bit. I thought yours was shutting itself off.

Bumper looks good amigo, you'll love it!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Calling a day early. I need to run to town for work and with Marianne out of town its beers and billiards here tonight for the guys in the neighborhood. Need to be back in time to clean up.

Got the swing arms in place. Need to add the outward stops and struts, then finish welding the spindles and the rest of the internal lower bumper. Side tubes are tacked in place and again need finish welding. Tomorrow I should be able to wrap it up and build the tire carrier.

Attachments

• P1010211.jpg
    P1010211.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 917
  • P1010213.jpg
    P1010213.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 910
  • P1010214.jpg
    P1010214.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 902

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
That's looking great, Corbet, man those welds are sweet dude.

as a data point, did you disconnect the ecu? :)

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Late lunch. Got the tire on. Now I just need to pull the whole thing off and finish weld the inside of the bumper and spindles to be able to drive it.

Not sure what direction I'm going with the ladder yet. The tire carrier I pretty much just copied the 4x4 Labs design but built it from scratch. I wan't to get the hi-lift behind the tire some how. Still thinking about that. Luke generally mounts the jack on the 2nd swing arm. I might build multiple accessories for that side and don't want the have to work out a hi-lift mount each time.

Need to move the license plate somewhere too. Be nice to have it on the spare tire side.

Attachments

• P1010218.jpg
    P1010218.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 882
  • P1010219.jpg
    P1010219.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 890
  • P1010220.jpg
    P1010220.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 887

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Any particular reason you chose to mount on the passenger side swing arm?

I'm assuming your asking why the tire on the passenger side? My fridge will get moved over to that side as that is where my 12v outlets are. As the fridge will already be blocking my view I figured the tire won't make it any worse. Also if I'm on the side of the road changing a flat is seems more logical to have it on that side safety wise.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
does that big ol' tire wobble any?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
does that big ol' tire wobble any?

It does some. I have not really torqued down the two mounting bolts on the swing arm yet. I figure I should wait until its powder coated before I really pinch that clamp. But its not bad considering the wheel and tire are over 100lbs.