• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Do you even overland, bruh?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Another one of those products @Inukshuk and @Hulk probably thought of 10 years ago but someone else decided to take it to market.....

This is hilarious. I hope they make enough to buy a snorkel or something.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Another one of those products @Inukshuk and @Hulk probably thought of 10 years ago but someone else decided to take it to market.....

View attachment 102865
"Triple locked" has to be the phrase that I hate the most. I don't know about you but I don't have a differential but a transfercase. Sure you can argue it has a viscous coupler but no, it's not a locker. You're thinking of a RAV4.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@Corbet well since I wheel rigs with traction control each wheel can be shut down independently. So that's technically quadruple locked! :bolt:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
"Triple locked" has to be the phrase that I hate the most. I don't know about you but I don't have a differential but a transfercase. Sure you can argue it has a viscous coupler but no, it's not a locker. You're thinking of a RAV4.
Your 80 has a center diff. (see spider gears below) Your 80 has a viscous coupler. I briefly understod this well when I was with Robbie replacing bearings and re-sealing mine, but I do get confused still about it. I held my VC in my hand when it was apart. They can be removed which increases gear oil capacity. Some of the why is still fuzzy.

1647556867098.png

RAV4 is AWD, it has some variant of a center diff. There is no binding definition of FT 4WD vs AWD, but these definitions make a lot of sense.

You have a center diff locker just like the axles. When CDL is locked, the VC (#41330 above) is locked out. When CDL is UN-locked, the VC provides some "limited slip" front-rear.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Your 80 has a center diff. (see spider gears below) Your 80 has a viscous coupler. I briefly understod this well when I was with Robbie replacing bearings and re-sealing mine, but I do get confused still about it. I held my VC in my hand when it was apart. They can be removed which increases gear oil capacity. Some of the why is still fuzzy.

View attachment 102894
RAV4 is AWD, it has some variant of a center diff. There is no binding definition of FT 4WD vs AWD, but these definitions make a lot of sense.

You have a center diff locker just like the axles. When CDL is locked, the VC (#41330 above) is locked out. When CDL is UN-locked, the VC provides some "limited slip" front-rear.
How do you I don’t have a split case and just carry around a viscous coupler to fit in?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So what you're saying is the only real 4WD Toyota still sells are Tacomas? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So what you're saying is the only real 4WD Toyota still sells are Tacomas? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
No, they surrendered to IFS long ago. (As has nearly everything) But I do hate it whan Daniel is right. So I’ll keep a viscous in my glovebox moving forward out of shame.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
No, they surrendered to IFS long ago. (As has nearly everything) But I do hate it whan Daniel is right. So I’ll keep a viscous in my glovebox moving forward out of shame.
Gotcha. I always forget IFS is only for mall crawlers. But that's to be expected when you've hit your head as many times as I have on my cab door frame. Lack of IFS travel and rough trails, ya know? Speaking of which, did you ever notice that the only truck Toyota still sells with a part time t-case is a Tacoma? And the Mega Cruiser? IFS and IRS, holy cow, what a POS that must be, being useful at what task we'll never know. Part time 4WD, meh, what's it's good for anyway? Man, my head hurts. You know, on account taking a beating going down Koko to ride the other day. Should've known better to attempt that. Foolish, foolish, foolish.

Last edited:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I just saw a gladiator on 37s with 6 maxx trax, two shovels, and two full size spares.

Where the hell is this guy going, because that is awesome.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@Inukshuk, I think this dude has you beat.

maxxxx-traxxxx.jpeg

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think that Subaru is pretty rad. It's not that over the top, it's kind of rally cool. Plus it's different. Not just another brand new 4Runner or Wrangler hit with a huge money grenade. It seem pretty ideal for users who just need enough to get to trailheads on marginal roads. Kind of the philosophical opposite to a mall terrain rated crawler that barely ever needs low range but looks ready to drive across Africa. That 'Roo will get 99% of places a built anything will, anywhere short of needing real low range. It's pretty amazing when an inch or so of lift and good skid plates will do for a Forester or Outback. Plus they have a real spare tire (major props for thinking about that to the owner) and have a pretty good way to make it work on these cars.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I have to smile at the jab regarding the Crosstrek.....heck, they're so darn popular in Boulder right now if you park in the Costco lot you may have to honk the alarm horn to figure out which one is yours because there's 5 identical ones parked next to each other! Every third vehicle seems to be a Crosstrek! Anyway, I got to say they are a heck of a deal for what you get. I special ordered this one for my wife as her mountain car. I ordered it with the 2.0, 6 spd manual and non of the nanny systems and I got to say it's a hell of a AWD in the mountains for $22k cash. Im in KC right now with it and it cruised the 800 miles at 85mph across Kansas on 2 tanks of gas or approx 30+ mpg. As for building it out as an overlander ......most likely not since it's the wifes car but I'm so smitten with it I've actually talked about finding a used one to do exactly that! Tough little car! (btw, the whole headgasket thing is a thing of the past, fwiw.)
A4C213D3-5987-4B37-A97B-1F043650EE9F.jpeg