• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

80 Series, moving axle forward?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Agree 100%. Can’t wait to see the progression.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I got these mounted up today. Time to get serious.

7670D479-BDD2-43CD-AAF4-BD3D8EB4FF1D.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
What the....

LandBruiser

Lifted
So I got these mounted up today. Time to get serious.

View attachment 79259
The good part is that they both weight the exact same weight @76lbs so they won't rob too much power. You still planning on moving the axle? Seems like a lot of work for what you get.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Is moving the axle necessary? I've seen a lot of 80s on 37s lately -- can't imagine that all these folks are moving the axle.

LandBruiser

Lifted
I run 42" MTRs which are taller than most 43" tires and haven't moved my axles. Still running the Slee 6" springs from 2005.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Is moving the axle necessary? I've seen a lot of 80s on 37s lately -- can't imagine that all these folks are moving the axle.

I don’t think it’s necessary, but it’s nice to add a little wheel base while you’re in there.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I need to get them on the truck and see. I'm pretty confident that the back of the front tires will contact the sliders when turning the wheel outward. They will of course move away from the slider as the suspension compresses. They are Metal Tech's so I can't just slid them back as they use captured nuts on the passenger side that locate them. I could trim them and the inner fender above.

Honestly moving the axle looks like one of the easiest solutions. Its just a couple plates and drill a couple holes. Granted its kind of a PITA to disconnect it and all things will have to be done with precision. But its still just two new holes and gusset.

coax

Hard Core 4+
If I can pull off a 100 series auto swap at the same time I’d like that too. It’s got a lower 1st gear plus the extra gear would make it much easier to keep her in the sweet spot pulling mountain passes.

Are you going to be the pioneer in this space? I did a bit of reading a while back and seemed like there was some hope from wholesale automatics using a compushift controller but not sure what has materialized. A 5 speed behind a turbo 1fz would be incredible. I would imagine the 5speed is also more internally efficient than the a343 as well. Would love any info you've got...if I end up having to pull my engine to do some repairs, being able to swap in a 5speed at that time would be amazing. Plus so many vehicles came with that tranny i imagine finding a used one would be pretty easy. A few ancecdotal references that the a750f would bolt to a hf2a case but no confirmed swaps from what i can tell. It appears that compushift's pro controller supports the a750f, but its unclear what inputs it requires from the vehicle IE signals from only a few supported engines, etc. https://www.hgmelectronics.com/compushift-sport-and-pro/

At any rate, if you go this route, I'm super interested to see what you come up with!!

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Are you going to be the pioneer in this space? I did a bit of reading a while back and seemed like there was some hope from wholesale automatics using a compushift controller but not sure what has materialized. A 5 speed behind a turbo 1fz would be incredible. I would imagine the 5speed is also more internally efficient than the a343 as well. Would love any info you've got...if I end up having to pull my engine to do some repairs, being able to swap in a 5speed at that time would be amazing. Plus so many vehicles came with that tranny i imagine finding a used one would be pretty easy. A few ancecdotal references that the a750f would bolt to a hf2a case but no confirmed swaps from what i can tell. It appears that compushift's pro controller supports the a750f, but its unclear what inputs it requires from the vehicle IE signals from only a few supported engines, etc. https://www.hgmelectronics.com/compushift-sport-and-pro/

At any rate, if you go this route, I'm super interested to see what you come up with!!

I keep hearing rumors but have not gone so far as to call them as my wallet can't back up my wants right this moment. I'm going to be acquiring my rebuild engine here in the next couple weeks so that part can get started. Then I'll start looking at the reality of the 5-speed auto. But man would that extra gear just make all the difference in the world.

coax

Hard Core 4+
I keep hearing rumors but have not gone so far as to call them as my wallet can't back up my wants right this moment. I'm going to be acquiring my rebuild engine here in the next couple weeks so that part can get started. Then I'll start looking at the reality of the 5-speed auto. But man would that extra gear just make all the difference in the world.

I couldn't agree more. Seems like this may be our best bet for a bellhousing...but not much movement recently. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-upgrade-poll-manumatic.1044949/page-8

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I test fit one front wheel tonight. Rubs the slider pretty hard. Picture is sitting at ride height. 17x9” wheel with a -12mm offset. Axle is centered at ride height with adjustable panhard bar. Slee caster correction plates. 4” Slee springs.

DE47238D-15E9-4C3D-8D34-447604BFB5C1.jpeg

And a pic comparing the near bald 315 verse new 37”

1D1B0E19-5EB2-4CF5-BC17-7591518566E7.jpeg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd probably cut an inch off the front of the slider, weld in a new end plate, spray it with some black paint and call it done.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Won't the panhard rod bind with moving the axle forward?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd probably cut an inch off the front of the slider, weld in a new end plate, spray it with some black paint and call it done.

It will rub the sheet metal above too. If I have to modify some armor I’d rather trim the ARB front bumper if it ends up rubing there after relocation. My bumper wings are already bent. I could in theory correct that and strengthen.

Won't the panhard rod bind with moving the axle forward?

With just 1” forward I don’t believe so. The axle travels in an arc now while the panhard travels linear without bushing flex. The key is not moving it too far forward and have it contact the housing. I also have Timbrens as bump stops limiting max up travel so the axle can’t get as forward as OEM by a smiggen.

LandBruiser

Lifted
Going to solid axle summit in Ouray next month by chance?