80 Series, moving axle forward?

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'd call that commitment! But you still have the old hole if you don't like it...NICE!!!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Old holes covered on both sides now with gussets.

73EDCB6D-1013-4ECE-8393-ADEAB8F6910B.jpeg
598CF7AB-177E-4601-8A60-32FC6BBD8B61.jpeg

Wheel turned out. Looks like I’ll have the clearance I need now. As the wheel moves up it will go forward some.

2570DE8D-5199-4D48-AAF5-8325DF90D658.jpeg

Last edited:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Wow, that looks great!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Are you at 4:88 or 5:29 gearing?

Looks GREAT Corbet!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Is it back to being a total dog with the 37s and no turbo?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Is it back to being a total dog with the 37s and no turbo?

Haven’t driven it enough to know. The little I did it’s seems the same. The listed weight of the Yokohamas is the same as the Toyos that came off. Although after lifting the spare up to the swing out I really question that.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Looks real nice Corbet! I wonder how it'll turn the big-un's on the techy rocky stuff.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Did Nay upgrade his steering? Or was he on stock 80 steering with his 37s? I don't remember him upgrading the steering.

Turned out great Corbet! The Yokohamas look nice too. Interested to hear some long term feedback on those tires.
When I moved my axle the firewall clearance was the main issue and the axle relocation as you have seen gives lots of clearance in that area. It also moved the axle back into proper alignment in the wheel arch so the spring isn't curved to the rear (if you're running stock radius arms).

I probably cut more sheetmetal than I needed to but I cut out a fair amount from the front of the inner fenders. Also took about 2" off my bumper wings. But now they stuff well and turn freely and I was able to not trim the outer fender and only do minor trimming of the flares. That was my goal, to keep a stock appearance to the fenders with the 3" lift.

You might have seen these already on MUD but maybe it's helpful to some of the RS guys here that may not have.
Here's the front stuffed after the relocation but before cutting the bumper wings. Pretty hard rubbing.
Bumpstop measurements by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

After cutting the bumper. I pretty much cut away the inner fender to match the profile of the bumper wing.
80 mods by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Bumper wing after cutting and tire at full stuff/turn. It looks like it would still rub in this pic but as the wheel turns it just clears the bumper wing. That's what I call "accidental precision" :)
37’s and bumpstops by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Adam, thanks for those pics.

I tried to find a place to stuff my fronts tonight on the way home. But my bike rack sticking 3’ off the back of the truck really ruins my departure angle. I don’t think I’ll have as much issue with the slightly smaller tires and only moving my axle 1” forward.

Initial tire impressions after daily driving the truck today.

The Yokos are quiet. Like all terrain quiet in my opinion. I did not exceed 50MPH. No howl unless I pushed them hard into a corner. Then I got the standard MT sound I expected. I don’t feel like I lost much power coming from my 315’s. Maybe because the Toyos they replaced were so heavy. My only complaint at this point is that they hold rocks. I have a gravel driveway and 1 mile of dirt road before hitting pavement. Once there I was slinging big rocks for a few miles until they cleared.