2UZ swap into 1992 FJ80

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
So....freaking....NICE!! It is a completely different vehicle! Even though it isn't 100%, it still feels like a rocket ship compared to the 3fe.
I got to drive Chase's LX470 for a day and a half and I'm guessing I had a similar experience. Compared to my 5VZ-FE, it was a dream. Just kept trucking up in the mountains with way less downshifting than I have to manually do in my 4runner (granted my 5 speed is miles better than the 4 speed autos on that same engine from what I've heard). Still not sure about that average MPG though, but then again if you are coming from a 3FE then it's no change at all right? Only positives. Now you are making me wish I had gotten a 4th gen with that engine lol....

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
HOLEEE SHEEEIITTT!!!! So I couldn't help myself and had to drive it to see if everything was fixed. Well, it was, and OH MY GOD is it fun to drive!!! I don't want to oversell it, but if anyone thinks a 2uz isn't a good option for a swap, then I'll be more than happy to take you for a ride in this. Just a little jaunt around the block has me even more motivated to get this thing done for real!
Awesome dude!

scheefdog

HOLEEE SHEEEIITTT!!!! So I couldn't help myself and had to drive it to see if everything was fixed. Well, it was, and OH MY GOD is it fun to drive!!! I don't want to oversell it, but if anyone thinks a 2uz isn't a good option for a swap, then I'll be more than happy to take you for a ride in this. Just a little jaunt around the block has me even more motivated to get this thing done for real!
Great to see some 2uz swap love! Congrats on getting it running!

I highly suggest posting up as much info as you have on your swap for others because there are so few documented swaps.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Great to see some 2uz swap love! Congrats on getting it running!

I highly suggest posting up as much info as you have on your swap for others because there are so few documented swaps.
Definitely! Thats kinda the idea here with this thread. 😉 Once its done, I've got it throught tech inspection, and it's registered, I'll post everything here.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
just finished with my first tech inspection…

1684344174123.png

The tech was a super good dude and said I was really close. He gave me some suggestions to get the cat monitors to start reading: nice, casual driving for a few hours should do the trick. I did drive it to the Eisenhower tunnel and back last night, but he said elevations above 7k’ will typically cause those systems to shut off. I didn’t know that.

Side note, being able to go to the tunnel doing 70 mph, both ways. is a mind trip when driving an 80. I couldn’t get it above 70, but whatever. The last time I did that stretch in my 80, I couldn’t get it above 40.

Anyways, he also told me that if I could get the cat monitors going, he would probably let me pass without the EVAP monitor engaged. If it were to throw a code, however, that would be a showstopper.

I was wondering if I was going to get away with the exhaust dumping forward of the rear axle. I had plans on finishing it, just didn’t get to it before the test.

All in all, I’m happy with it and I’m glad the inspection is done. He told me that I am a lot closer than about 90% of the people who come in for inspection, so that made me feel good.

Back to work!

Attachments

• EC7ECD65-1982-4379-A5BA-62BBBD0F0B61.jpeg
    EC7ECD65-1982-4379-A5BA-62BBBD0F0B61.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work Nic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet that drive up 70 was sweet. It probably sounds amazing.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
A coworkers friend is thinking of selling his 86 factory dually toyota pickup with a 2uz swap....i wonder how that tiny thing hauls butt?!!! i told my coworker to have him bring it to the rally
Screenshot_20230517_111545_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Nice work Nic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet that drive up 70 was sweet. It probably sounds amazing.
yes and yes. I was giggling the whole way up!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
So I've been trying to get these monitors to start running and haven't had any luck.

I did a bunch of reading and stumbled upon this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/obdii-emissions-catalyst-monitor-not-ready.1132223/page-2

After reviewing the info in that thread, and comparing what I'm seeing, I'm pretty sure I need to replace my downstream O2 sensor on bank 1.

Here is the monitor info from Techstream:

monitor status.PNG

You'll note that the catalyst efficiency is still in an "incomplete" status, indicating that the ECM has not seen enough to give a proper reading.

Here is a screen shot of the data list:

data list.PNG

Note that O2S B1 S2 is reading zero. I had my daughter handle the laptop as I drove and while that cell would populate with a number ever so often, it was very low, much lower than the other sensors.

So, I'll replace the downstream sensor when it gets here, and update the thread accordingly.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Oh, and to be clear, I followed a TSB that I found that laid out the procedure for getting the monitors to activate. (attached)
Here is a snippit:

1685286839494.png

I followed that procedure five or six times to no avail and that's when I started putting the pieces together. It turns out that the even though there isn't a check engine light for a bad O2 sensor, the system will still try to work with what it's got and keep looking for that data. Until it sees the data it is looking for, it won't switch the monitor to "complete".

I think this is good info to have for when we're doing emissions in a regular scenario. Most cheap, hand held diagnostic tools have the monitor readiness status feature and it is a good exercise to perform before going to Air Care. If you're catalyst monitor isn't working, the computer will blindly adjust fuel trim levels. If it is doing this during an emissions test, you're more than likely going to fail.

Attachments

• Drive Pattern.pdf
    138.2 KB · Views: 88

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Being around all the great trucks at CM lit a fire under my ass...

The good:
  1. No engine codes.
  2. Drove it from my house to @DomOfTheDead 's house, about 20 miles round trip, with no issues.
  3. Engine temp never got above 192, most of the time it stayed around 184.
  4. All gauges work, including speedometer. The scan gauge shows that the ECU is reading speed as well. This is something I was worried about but looks like I was able to take care of it using a gauge cluster from a 97 and wiring it accordingly.
The not so good:
  1. It is idling high, like around 2k rpm in neutral.
  2. RPM's are off, the tach is reading around 50 - 60% of actual RPM readout from scan gauge.
  3. Tranny won't down shift when driving. It down shifts just fine when coming to a stop, just can't get it to down shift when I goose it
  4. Alternator isn't charging. This is probably my fault; I had to wire in a new connector and I'm wondering if I got the terminals in the correct order.
All in all, I'm really happy with the maiden voyage. The only real technical issue is the high idle, but I'm sure I can get that dialed in with some easy diagnosis.

Your going to leave the hood off right?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I agree and I'm going to figure out how to get my hands on one.

My plan is to do a bench test something along the lines of:
1. Pull the speed sensor and hook it up to a drill or something to get it to produce a signal and find out what that signal is.
2. Connect the speed sensor to the speedometer (signal conditioner) to find out what the signal looks like afterwards.
3. Document everything and determine best approach to giving the ECU what it wants.
@jps8460 pinged me today about his pocket oscilloscope ( I'm bad about holding onto borrowed items way too long 😬) and it reminded me that I never followed up on this. I mentioned that everything was working as it should on my test drive post but didn't specify why.

I never did this bench test, and in fact realized that I way overthought this. Although Toyota my change wiring schematics from year to year, they tend to stick with the same approach to their design. When they switched over from a mechanical speedo to an electronic one, the speed signal wet to the gauge cluster then to the ECM. The 1994 EWD shows this and it is the same through 97. I ended up using a gauge cluster from a 1997, wired it how the 1999 was wired, and it all worked. Specifically, the path of voltage is:

VSS --> Gauge Cluster --> ECM

Although different years pulled their speed signal from different sources, it seems like all the gauge cluster is looking for is a pulse signal. It then takes that signal, conditions it, then sends it to the ECM. I've put close to 2k miles on this so far and no codes so I'm guessing it works.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Good deal! So now are you available to do the same into LongCruiser? :grinpimp:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Stuckinthe80s I need an update! How’s this bad boy doing after a few months?
Still running like a champ! However, I have yet to get the catalyst monitor sorted. I started a new job where I have to travel a few times per month so I’ve had to put this on the back burner for now.

I did buy an O2 simulator that I hope to try out tomorrow so we’ll see. I’m also going to try the process @Hulk used to get his to get in the ready state. Fingers crossed!