Cruise Moab Committee
Dude that’s awesome!! Way to go Nick!
1678675012985.gif

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Being around all the great trucks at CM lit a fire under my ass...

The good:
  1. No engine codes.
  2. Drove it from my house to @DomOfTheDead 's house, about 20 miles round trip, with no issues.
  3. Engine temp never got above 192, most of the time it stayed around 184.
  4. All gauges work, including speedometer. The scan gauge shows that the ECU is reading speed as well. This is something I was worried about but looks like I was able to take care of it using a gauge cluster from a 97 and wiring it accordingly.
The not so good:
  1. It is idling high, like around 2k rpm in neutral.
  2. RPM's are off, the tach is reading around 50 - 60% of actual RPM readout from scan gauge.
  3. Tranny won't down shift when driving. It down shifts just fine when coming to a stop, just can't get it to down shift when I goose it
  4. Alternator isn't charging. This is probably my fault; I had to wire in a new connector and I'm wondering if I got the terminals in the correct order.
All in all, I'm really happy with the maiden voyage. The only real technical issue is the high idle, but I'm sure I can get that dialed in with some easy diagnosis.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Being around all the great trucks at CM lit a fire under my ass...

The good:
  1. No engine codes.
  2. Drove it from my house to @DomOfTheDead 's house, about 20 miles round trip, with no issues.
  3. Engine temp never got above 192, most of the time it stayed around 184.
  4. All gauges work, including speedometer. The scan gauge shows that the ECU is reading speed as well. This is something I was worried about but looks like I was able to take care of it using a gauge cluster from a 97 and wiring it accordingly.
The not so good:
  1. It is idling high, like around 2k rpm in neutral.
  2. RPM's are off, the tach is reading around 50 - 60% of actual RPM readout from scan gauge.
  3. Tranny won't down shift when driving. It down shifts just fine when coming to a stop, just can't get it to down shift when I goose it
  4. Alternator isn't charging. This is probably my fault; I had to wire in a new connector and I'm wondering if I got the terminals in the correct order.
All in all, I'm really happy with the maiden voyage. The only real technical issue is the high idle, but I'm sure I can get that dialed in with some easy diagnosis.

To quote @Hulk ”Hell Yeah”!!
So cool! V8 80’s are the coolest 80’s

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
How's the power feel?
So....freaking....NICE!! It is a completely different vehicle! Even though it isn't 100%, it still feels like a rocket ship compared to the 3fe.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Okay, so I figured out some of my issues...(on the 80, my mental health is a whole other conversation)

High idle - I was a dummy and forgot that I needed to find a power source for "15A Throttle", or +BM to the ECM. I figured it out because I finally got a code and it was P1127, or ECTS fault. I found that section in the FSM and first thing it tells you to do is check the 15A Throttle fuse and then to see if you get voltage from pin 7 on the E connector on the ECM. Figures. I ran an 18 awg wire from the external fuse block I'm using, plugged it into the ECM, started it up and wouldn't you know it, after about 30 seconds the engine idled down to about 800 rpm.

Charging - I was a dummy here as well as I forgot to put the CHG-LP relay back in the fuse box.

The crappy weather has kept me from doing another test drive, but I bet the lack of down shifting was tied to the ECTS fault as well. This drivetrain doesn't utilize a kick down cable and everything is controlled by the ECM. I'm guessing that because the computer couldn't control the throttle, it wouldn't send a downshift command to the tranny.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
HOLEEE SHEEEIITTT!!!! So I couldn't help myself and had to drive it to see if everything was fixed. Well, it was, and OH MY GOD is it fun to drive!!! I don't want to oversell it, but if anyone thinks a 2uz isn't a good option for a swap, then I'll be more than happy to take you for a ride in this. Just a little jaunt around the block has me even more motivated to get this thing done for real!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
That is awesome Nic

Be nice to go wheeling with you and you have your own truck. . . a super cool truck!