• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

ā¦æ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2025 4Runner launch

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Zepp is talking about selling his whole fleet for one 250 series.

Nooooo!!!!! šŸ˜±

Just the 60 and the 1971 40. I will still have the FJ45, gotta have a pickup truck for haulin' stuff, and I do plan on finishing the resto on my 1976 40 -- that was my first Land Cruiser I bought in 1982! But yeah, I figure the 250 will basically replace the wagon and I don't really need two 40s. Funny though, now my wife and my daughter are both saying I should get the new 4Runner instead of the 250.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Funny though, now my wife and my daughter are both saying I should get the new 4Runner instead of the 250.

Once they get ramped up on production, I bet 4Runners will be easier to purchase than Land Cruisers. They'll probably outsell Cruisers by 5X.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
That will be interesting to seeā€¦personally Iā€™d love to test drive a new Land Cruiser and a new 4Runner back to back.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Nooooo!!!!! šŸ˜±

Just the 60 and the 1971 40. I will still have the FJ45, gotta have a pickup truck for haulin' stuff, and I do plan on finishing the resto on my 1976 40 -- that was my first Land Cruiser I bought in 1982! But yeah, I figure the 250 will basically replace the wagon and I don't really need two 40s. Funny though, now my wife and my daughter are both saying I should get the new 4Runner instead of the 250.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise. I wasn't precise in my statement making the point that even diehard Cruiserheads are being tempted for daily drivers and for normal weekend exploring. I made no excuses when I jumped from the 40 to the IFS mini. It rode better and wasn't punishment on the highway, I found it a completely acceptable compromise. The little bit I've been able to drive Dean's 1985 only confirm that decision. It's fun but I'm not feeling a strong desire to use it full time for everything, even if I could fit a passenger and dog in the cab. Which I can't.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Personally I have zero issue with a SFA but much prefer it on coils over leaves. I wish the 250 was set up as such. I find my 80 very comfortable on the HWY or in town. Itā€™s just simply too thirsty for daily duties plus Iā€™d like to preserve it for its true calling, the backcountry.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
They are the same thing aren't they? Same motor and chassis right? Only one has a different trim/headlights and slightly different body lines?
All the trucks are based on the same platform, the TNGA-F.

That does not mean they are all identical. Only Toyota knows. It's assumed for a long time that while the Tacoma and Hilux have shared a platform the material thickness in the frame and axles housings was thicker in the Hilux. Also the design of the frame in the Hilux was fulled boxed while the Taco got open-C about half the way.

The GX550 and 250 LC are something like 500 lbs different in weight but are very close in dimension and it's not just hybrid power since the lighter truck is the one with all the batteries.

Based on that hit those guys in the video took I'm not so sure the Land Cruiser isn't tougher than the Tacoma. I'm pretty sure that would have damaged my Tacoma quite a bit more. But maybe the new Tacoma is also gonna be tougher.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
If accurate that dimension chart I posted earlier shows the LC 5ā€ taller than the 4R with less ground clearance. That should imply a much taller interior cabin and better seating position. But mechanically they seem to be equals at this point. With the 4R styling targeting a younger buyer and the LC for old people like me. There is very little I personally like about the 4R styling. I wouldnā€™t mind the OEM high air intake and light bar on the LC. Probably be options next year.

@DaveInDenver Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m putting too much credit in the LC published weight numbers yet as the brake rotors are still listed as 17ā€ online, the Tundraā€™s are 13.9ā€. Lexus has towing numbers broken down to the pound for each trim, LC has 6000lb across the board. It seems Toyota is behind on updating exact data.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yeah @Corbet, obviously 17" rotors is a ridiculous typo. Whatever marketing drone typed that meant wheel size or something else. But even on established vehicles the sales and even technical info is sometimes suspect or fudged.

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
Thatā€™s a bummer IMHO. Strange new world we live in when the 4R is essentially the same thing as a LC. (In USA). I still like the LC styling better. But it definitely seems Toyota is targeting the 4R as their top tier off-roader. Larger diff would be nice for those who build them up. Not my intention so probably fine.

View attachment 128987

Worth noting, the LC250 is only avail with a full-time t-case. The 4Runner and Tacoma can be part-time or full-time.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Worth noting, the LC250 is only avail with a full-time t-case. The 4Runner and Tacoma can be part-time or full-time.

With Tacoma I-Force Max pricing just released, other than the t-case, what do you see in the LC for what looks like $10K more similarly equipped? Trail Hunter at $62,900. One could argue the Trail Hunter and First Edition are comparable on equipment.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
IMG_2191.jpeg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Since I plan on keeping my 200, I am glad I ordered the 2024 Tacoma and this is another good reason. Saw one at Cruise Moab with the same options I ordered, but different color. It does seem to me the 4runner, Tacoma and 250 are very similar. Even the lines on the 4runner look a bit Tacomaish :)