• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2024 Tacoma - What do you think?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I was thinking part of the hub engagement system.
If you're thinking the ADD, that's not usually a weakness on 2005+ Tacoma. They eventually fail to operate from mud and corrosion but not really break. Maybe it's an early production issue where it didn't fully engage but that's a pretty odd thing for a system that I doubt has changed. CV axles are a known weak spot and bouncing in snow is an ideal way to grenade one.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
they might have done a little better if they werent running street tire pressure..and well a tire that is better suited for the task.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I sat in one today. It’s presold so no test drive. But I confirmed that I’m simply not a player based on back seat leg room. No way Bridger or anyone else wants to sit behind me. Marianne at 5’9” would have the passenger seat moved back as well. Pics below.

IMG_1752.jpeg

IMG_1753.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I sat in one today. It’s presold so no test drive. But I confirmed that I’m simply not a player based on back seat leg room. No way Bridger or anyone else wants to sit behind me. Marianne at 5’9” would have the passenger seat moved back as well. Pics below.

View attachment 127823

View attachment 127824

View attachment 127825

View attachment 127826
Would it change your mind if you didn't have to consider kids ridding in the back? Mine have their own damn cars :)

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Would it change your mind if you didn't have to consider kids ridding in the back? Mine have their own damn cars :)

Yes, I was more comfortable in the 2024 than prior years. Seat was a little higher off the floor. I don’t have the seat all the way back in the photos it’s positioned where comfortable for me at 6’0”. Only complaint might be shoulder room on outboard side. Not cramped but don’t feel roomy. Headroom was plenty even with the sunroof.

lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
108151-4ba421513813c3bb696c79f04e3b7ec0.jpg

I've never liked having the center display stick up like it does here. It looks like somebody stuck in an iPad as an afterthought. II love the technology, it could have been integrated more aesthetically.

/. .

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The interior layout is very similar to my 23 SR5 Tundra which is a great layout in my opinion but a major concern of mine is that Toyota more then likely used the exact same materials in the Taco. This would keep me away from a new Taco for at least five years. The reason I say this is because all of the plastic trim pieces, door panels, the center console, and the dash rattle like no ones business.

I have had my truck in several times now for all sorts of rattles and interior noises. The worst part is when I take it in to have it fixed under warranty, the stealership tells me there are no fixes for most of my issues and they won't attempt to fix them until toyota puts out a TSB or develops a fix for it. The only rattle problem the fixed was my center console which rattled so bad that I had to cram and stick foam all over the buttons to keep it from rattling. My quality complaints don't even include the multiple recalls I've had on the truck already.
Screenshot_20240313_175236_Toyota.jpg

This is the first vehicle I have owned where I have had to buy a bunch of foam and sound deading material and add it to the doors. In the Tundra, Toyota basically just put a plastic door cover over a metal door with no foam or anti-vibration material and there are about six clips and three screws that hold the door cover on. So when you listen to the music the doors sound like all of the speakers are blown.

I hope Toyota does a better job with the Taco because the Tundra has some issues they really need to get figured out. My experience with the new Tundra has really made me question purchasing another new Toyota at all because of quality.

20240127_140902.jpg

20240127_135539.jpg

20240127_135553.jpg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the honest feedback Ray. I have been wanting a tundra for a while now and I go back and forth about whether to get a late model 2nd generation or a new (used) 3rd generation.
You’re not the first person I’ve heard talk about this either. One guy on YouTube said given a do over, he would get a used raptor.
Not sure I’m interested in the raptor, but it sounds like Toyota needs to get with the program and step it up on quality.
Sorry to hear that you’re having so many problems with your new truck.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
In all likelihood the Trail Hunter will be north of $60K maybe approaching 70. Plus the rumor is that only 5% of the Tacomas will be built with the hybrid making it very difficult to get. This figure does not make sense to me but that’s what is floating around. But that is the trim I’d buy.

That video is really encouraging for me as their trailer is comparable to mine for towing weight.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@RayRay27, if the dealer's description is accurate then it's probably the sleeve that engages the ADD.

431431C.png

BTW, that's an interesting video ot @Romer. They were towing about 5,000 lbs. Looked pretty comfortable, the transmission got very hot but didn't quite overheat on the climb up Lickskillet Road.

Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Glad it's just the sleeve as I don't think that's the prescribed procedure for breaking in a new R&P :ROFLMAO:
I've never thought of towing with a Tacoma in Boulder county, that turbo 4 is impressive for sure.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
What blew me away about that video is they said the dealership was great to work with. They took their Taco to the same place I usually take my Tundra and they are a pain to deal with most of the time. They try everything they can to get out of doing any warranty work but had no issues working on a new Tacoma that no one at that dealership has ever seen before now.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What blew me away about that video is they said the dealership was great to work with. They took their Taco to the same place I usually take my Tundra and they are a pain to deal with most of the time. They try everything they can to get out of doing any warranty work but had no issues working on a new Tacoma that no one at that dealership has ever seen before now.
Your issues don't have a billion views on Youtube so they're not going to be a huge embarrassment to Toyota and get 20 corporate guys in the shop.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
They also talked to the head engineer of the Tacoma about the issue before taking it into that dealership, so I'm sure he had a word with the service manager before it even showed up.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
All you need is a YouTube channel with a butt load of subscribers and you too can be treated properly! Lol

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Your issues don't have a billion views on Youtube so they're not going to be a huge embarrassment to Toyota and get 20 corporate guys in the shop.
Hey!! I have 218 followers on Instagram. Where's my love?
Screenshot_20240314_193453_Chrome.jpg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The more I look at the Tacoma TRD Off Road, it is almost like a Land Cruiser 250 with a truck body

If Hybrid, same engine, tranny, both rear locker

Same Frame type

Similar suspension

Tacoma has longer wheel base

Tacoma has greater departure angle and higher ground clearance

Tacoma has selectable 2WD, can drive in RWD or select 4WD. Toyota is full time 4WD

Land Cruiser 250 has more 2nd row room and then back storage area. Tacoma has smaller rear area (less leg room) and truck bed for storage

That seems like a smart move from Toyota for a cost efficiency process in providing various but similar vehicles.

Obviously the GX550 has a bigger engine and 10 speed transmission

The Tacoma has more trims with sliders and rear ARB bumper available on TRD Pro and Trail hunter.

Land Cruiser 250 is made in Japan. Tacoma is made in Mexico