• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2024 Tacoma - What do you think?

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
1st Gen, Pre-Covers is where it's at :ROFLMAO:

DSC00422.JPG

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I really love the looks of it. I don't understand why everyone is super nit picky about engine bay. It is also a pre-production model so it may or may not get an engine cover.

I really like the power outputs of the 4 banger with hybrid. That being said, I'll never buy one.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’m with you Angelo. I feel like most new designs take a while to grow on me. I didn’t love the new tundra when it came out, but I definitely like it more now that I’m seeing them around.
I only have my dad’s 2005 Tacoma for comparison, but the cab is too small for me. I’ve been spoiled by the size of the Land Cruiser inside.
I haven’t bought a brand new car ever (one for the wife once) so I don’t imagine I’ll be getting one of these. At least not for 10+ years!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I’m kinda digging the new front and shape. But I could never bring myself to pay that for a vehicle.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
You know a lot of people say this and it seems to me that it boils down to the complaint being that the Tacoma isn't a full size truck. Which puts me on the other end, I think the Tacoma has grown too much. If I wanted a full size there's no lack of full size options.

The Hilux/Pickup/1st gen Taco got decent enough mileage and just fit better into places in town. But it's still not really exactly big for having grown. The interior is cramped, the sightlines are terrible. It's just big enough to be annoying when you need it to be small but not big enough to really be comfortable. Yeah, it's better than the 1991 on the Interstate but it's not a Tundra. The truck is still built OK but I'm not sure it's *that* much better than anything else at this point.

One thing is they will offer a stick shift on 3 models of the 2024, so that's cool. But they're all 4 door trucks. That's a non-starter. It's not even clear to me that they are going to make anything but a 4 door truck at all, though.

I know I'm out of step with the market but I just don't see anything in this revision that makes me more likely to replace my truck should I ever have to with another Tacoma. If anything it's going to make me try hard to figure out how to get something older, like maybe just find another 2008 as hot swap back up. I happen to really like the 1GR but I think Toyota engines traditionally need a manual to work right.
I agree, but have a conundrum because the full sizes have bloated as well. My first gen tundra is now pretty much the same size as this Tacoma. I had a 2012 taco that was fantastic as well, I like the midsize and what I tow was a good fit for my 2012. The 1GRFE is a perfect motor for the platform. My 17 felt gutless unless it was absolutely rung out. I should have kept the 2nd gen Tacoma and the 1st gen tundra.

I just think these new power trains are more exciting than the 3.5 that's in it now.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I just think these new power trains are more exciting than the 3.5 that's in it now.

^This^ I’ve been waiting for a hybrid taco for a long time. I‘m pretty excited As I’m still not convinced a pure EV is a good long term choice.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The rear bumper hitch is built into the frame and hangs really low like all Toyota hitches… it’s not removable… how will people deal with that?

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I would be excited to get a stripped down SR5 Xtra Cab with a coil rear end and turbo 4cylinder. Maybe it will be mildy affordable someday.
Me exactly.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The rear bumper hitch is built into the frame and hangs really low like all Toyota hitches… it’s not removable… how will people deal with that?

No manufacturer has done a better job than Ford with building a new vehicle designed from the feedback of enthusiasts. That said, I am sure Toyota will sell a ton of these.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Ive been conflicted with the tacoma ever since 3rd gen came out? The size of my old '03 was perfect for slight utility and offroading..it still would be if i didnt have a family. The extra power and creature comforts im sure are nice..But if I was in the market to buy a tacoma, Id want a mini-compact sized pickup...If I wanted a truck for routine towing etc Im probably going with what I find the best deal on as it will be a work truck.

All that said and like Hulk mentioned, Ford is the only manufacturer actually listening to their customers/future customer. I just wish quality and execution were of a higher standard.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Spent some time poking and prodding it and talking to Sheldon about it this past week/weekend. It’s pretty darn badass. Ran into Andrew B doing the same thing….. there were a ton of familiar faces come to think of it haha.

The TH and TRD look to be very exciting……… but not as exciting as what Lexus has up its sleeve IMHO.
image.jpg

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
My local dealer hinted at the LC coming back but smaller so I’d assume on Prado platform.
That’s the rumor I heard. I’m hoping for some “poverty pack” options but not holding my breath.

IMG_0945.jpeg

Something like this would be cool. No sunroof or AHC please. Oh yeah, and cloth seats.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Spent some time poking and prodding it and talking to Sheldon about it this past week/weekend. It’s pretty darn badass. Ran into Andrew B doing the same thing….. there were a ton of familiar faces come to think of it haha.

The TH and TRD look to be very exciting……… but not as exciting as what Lexus has up its sleeve IMHO.View attachment 115958
What does lexus have up their sleeve?