• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2024 Tacoma - What do you think?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Lets talk new Tacoma.
My first reaction as a designer was so so. It looks like a Tacoma and its definitely updated, but by pure aesthetics it didn't immediately grab me.
I then watched this video by Larry Chen with the engineer and I was really impressed by the collaboration and features that you can get one with from the factory. I don't particularly like the look of the shocks in the seats, but maybe I'll come around. I would probably be in the TrailHunter market vs the TRD.
2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-103-6463c866971e1.jpg

2024-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-Pro-IsoDynamic-Performance-Seat-001.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mpK0RrQcM

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I think they are moving in the right direction with this one. 33s, e-locker and ARB rear bumper off the showroom floor. :)

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I think they are moving in the right direction with this one. 33s, e-locker and ARB rear bumper off the showroom floor. :)

Also, sliders, and disconnecting front sway bar.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
When did car manufacturers stop caring what the engine bay looks like?

The new Tacoma:
1684509690318.png

The new Bronco:

1684509786384.png

Is it because nobody opens up their hoods anymore to do their own maintenance? Engine bays used to look so nice, and refined:

1684509936312.png

These new engine bays look like the junk drawer in my kitchen, or my garage in general.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Those seats are pretty cringy.
This angle makes it look like it has a mullet. I can't unsee that.
Mullet TRD.png

I'm curious how the 4cyl-turbo-hybrid functions and where its new failure points will be. It also looks like the powertrains will be subject to supply chain issues.
-To go with Nic's point: A complicated engine is going to be difficult to tinker with, or even do maintenance on. Maybe that's the point. It funnels more vehicles to 1st and 3rd parties. Complicated things can have complicated failures. Average vehicle owners are going to be out of their depth.

Out of the box with 33's, detachable sways, and lockers sound pretty rad.

I'm feeling pretty "welmed," about it. Maybe that's because I'm not in the market for one.
I get stuck on the $48k-$50+k price tag. That's $1,000+ per month payment. If I funneled that kind of money into an older model toyota, would I still want to buy the new Tacoma? Not if it comes with those seats...

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I can only echo what you all have said. I also see the mullet, but maybe it's also the flat top roof rack.
The obvious thing with both the Trail Hunter and TRD pro is that they are putting on all of the accessories from factory that most people think they want and need, and they can lump it all into the loan together. We did this a lot when I worked in the motorcycle industry, we could easily double the transaction with accessories and just include it all into the loan. This made the customer happy because they didn't have to spend any "extra" money.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm curious how the 4cyl-turbo-hybrid functions and where its new failure points will be. It also looks like the powertrains will be subject to supply chain issues.
-To go with Nic's point: A complicated engine is going to be difficult to tinker with, or even do maintenance on. Maybe that's the point. It funnels more vehicles to 1st and 3rd parties. Complicated things can have complicated failures. Average vehicle owners are going to be out of their depth.
Humans are still designing, building and repairing this car. For now anyway. So humans (owners) could still do it. The tough part is the tools have become more than a set of spanners. So having access to the software and knowing how to do it is the sticking point.

Of course this sort of thing comes more naturally to some people. But there was also a time when you'd fix your own TV and stuff but very few people do that now. The shift is cultural where demand for cars has become as throw-away devices instead of durable items repaired many times over.

There's laws in some places known as Right To Repair, meaning the manufacturer can't make it impossible for you or a 3rd party you choose to work on the car using proprietary tools at unreasonable cost. Europe is this way and VW will sell ODIS (their Techstream) using a one-time subscription that terminates when you're done with whatever diagnostics you're doing. Our VW is too old to use erWin/ODIS so I don't know if it's hobbled or the cost, though. I assume Techstream is the same way, isn't it? I want to say a license is a couple thousand Dollars, which is reasonable for a shop at least.

I'll also mention that the Prius is probably not that much different and it's got to be one of the most modified and hacked cars out there.

Last edited:

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Of course this sort of thing comes more naturally to some people. But there was also a time when you'd fix your own TV and stuff but very few people do that now. The shift is cultural where demand for cars has become as throw-away devices instead of durable items repaired many times over.

There's laws in some places known as Right To Repair, meaning the manufacturer can't make it impossible for you or a 3rd party you choose to work on the car using proprietary tools at unreasonable cost. Europe is this way and VW will sell ODIS (their Techstream) using a one-time subscription that terminates when you're done with whatever diagnostics you're doing. Our VW is too old to use erWin/ODIS so I don't know if it's hobbled or the cost, though. I assume Techstream is the same way, isn't it? I want to say a license is a couple thousand Dollars, which is reasonable for a shop at least.

I'll also mention that the Prius is probably not that much different and it's got to be one of the most modified and hacked cars out there.
Speaking to the "right to repair:" You're right. If humans are doing the repair work, then that option exists within all of our spectrums. It looks like the aim is more along the lines of "decreasing the desire to exercise the right to individual repair." It's the cultural shift you had mentioned. The more a vehicle requires specialization, the smaller the population who can repair it. A vehicle as a throw away device is a frustrating prospect. The consumer shapes the culture, and it looks like we've been here before with other goods (As you mentioned above.)

Speaking to the Prius: Toyota has more engineering iterations under their belt with the Prius than any other hybrid engine. I hope that translates to their newer vehicles.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I owned a 2017 and think I still would own it....if it had any of these power trains available in this version.

Tacoma to me was a great blend of utility and daily driver convenience, but the power of the 3rd gen felt anemic and uninspiring for the cost. It held it's value though and I was able to trade it for what I paid.

This closes a lot of the gap for me on why I would have stepped up to a Tundra just to have a vehicle that can tow without revving to 5k rpm. I will definitely be going in to test drive one when they are available just to feel it out.

The trail hunter does look like it wears pit vipers and rocks a mullet, but that's kind of in style now with some people.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This closes a lot of the gap for me on why I would have stepped up to a Tundra just to have a vehicle that can tow without revving to 5k rpm.
You know a lot of people say this and it seems to me that it boils down to the complaint being that the Tacoma isn't a full size truck. Which puts me on the other end, I think the Tacoma has grown too much. If I wanted a full size there's no lack of full size options.

The Hilux/Pickup/1st gen Taco got decent enough mileage and just fit better into places in town. But it's still not really exactly big for having grown. The interior is cramped, the sightlines are terrible. It's just big enough to be annoying when you need it to be small but not big enough to really be comfortable. Yeah, it's better than the 1991 on the Interstate but it's not a Tundra. The truck is still built OK but I'm not sure it's *that* much better than anything else at this point.

One thing is they will offer a stick shift on 3 models of the 2024, so that's cool. But they're all 4 door trucks. That's a non-starter. It's not even clear to me that they are going to make anything but a 4 door truck at all, though.

I know I'm out of step with the market but I just don't see anything in this revision that makes me more likely to replace my truck should I ever have to with another Tacoma. If anything it's going to make me try hard to figure out how to get something older, like maybe just find another 2008 as hot swap back up. I happen to really like the 1GR but I think Toyota engines traditionally need a manual to work right.

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It's not even clear to me that they are going to make anything but a 4 door truck at all, though.
I was thinking similarly. I'm a big fan of the single cab with a 6' bed look. I know this was killed off with the last generation, but I am really surprised that there is no mention of an access cab version.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Found the answer to our question. The access cab is coming back. It will not have a back seat though and will have a parcel shelf in its place. Based on the wording I think they will only make a prerunner in the access cab version and not a prerunner crew cab?
1684585783107.png

J1000

Rising Sun Member
When did car manufacturers stop caring what the engine bay looks like?

The new Tacoma:
View attachment 115566

The new Bronco:

View attachment 115567

Is it because nobody opens up their hoods anymore to do their own maintenance? Engine bays used to look so nice, and refined:

View attachment 115568

These new engine bays look like the junk drawer in my kitchen, or my garage in general.
10 years ago people were complaining about the stupid plastic covers that have a logo but don't do anything. People would say "we want to see the engine!"

Now we've come full circle 😂

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
10 years ago people were complaining about the stupid plastic covers that have a logo but don't do anything. People would say "we want to see the engine!"

Now we've come full circle 😂
I was definitely one of those people, lol. It's not that I necessarily want to go back to engine covers, it just seems like theres no thought to the routing of wires and hoses.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I was definitely one of those people, lol. It's not that I necessarily want to go back to engine covers, it just seems like theres no thought to the routing of wires and hoses.
I dunno, those engine bays look tidy enough. Things have to be as long as they need to be but no longer. The only people who value excess for cosmetic sake are kicking tires at show-and-shines, there's no performance improvement. I appreciate layouts for reliability (e.g. no chaffing, no fatigue) and serviceability, though.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
I appreciate layouts for reliability (e.g. no chaffing, no fatigue) and serviceability, though.
It's near impossible to design for everything. At least design it for serviceability!

It sucks when a wire or hose is just a half inch too short to flex it out of the way to get to the real target. Then as you remove the cable your break it's connector. Or more fun (tho less likely) is you disconnect two cables and accidentally swap them when you plug them back. Lol!!

Allen

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Sure would be nice if they stopped inflating & bloating the looks and the price tag of trucks.

My 2017 Taco is definitely not a 1st gen Taco. I like the small and simple looks of the 1st gen. I definitely prefer that sometimes.

But damn at least it's not a 2024 Taco at 48-75k. I could buy about 2 x of my Tacoma's trim/year for the price tag on a 2024.

Oh and yes I have an engine cover @Stuckinthe80s :p haha
20220813_142922.jpg

Allen