• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2024 Tacoma - What do you think?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
In true form this thread has been derailed, but I for one am also curious about this Lexus..

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
In true form this thread has been derailed, but I for one am also curious about this Lexus..
No sure about that. Even with the additional vehicle mentioned the comments remain consistent. Everything will cost too much because there is too much crap in them and not simple 4x4’s. Nor does anyone like how big they are.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Burt88

Trail Ready
My opinion, the 90's into the 2000's was the last era of great vehicles oriented to off-pavement driving. Before American's highjacked "overlanding" and brought over accessorized ego-mobiles to parking lots everywhere. Toyota is guilty of following the trends of bulk, childish appearance, and unnecessary gimmicks while disregarding their proven platforms that serve unmatched function and performance. I love Toyota of the past but don't think much of any of their new platforms for the U.S. market. They'll tell you this will go on trails everywhere and even show pictures of it on the rocks but one way or the other you're gonna spend another $20k in repairs or modifications. I'll be available to make the absolutely necessary modifications to make this trail worthy at my shop.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
My opinion, the 90's into the 2000's was the last era of great vehicles oriented to off-pavement driving. Before American's highjacked "overlanding" and brought over accessorized ego-mobiles to parking lots everywhere. Toyota is guilty of following the trends of bulk, childish appearance, and unnecessary gimmicks while disregarding their proven platforms that serve unmatched function and performance. I love Toyota of the past but don't think much of any of their new platforms for the U.S. market. They'll tell you this will go on trails everywhere and even show pictures of it on the rocks but one way or the other you're gonna spend another $20k in repairs or modifications. I'll be available to make the absolutely necessary modifications to make this trail worthy at my shop.
Speaking of ego mobiles

1685139617382.png

I Just picked this puppy up to put my epic pass in

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

I hear this refrain frequently on forums, but I think the golden era of off road capable vehicles is actually right now. Other than Toyota and a few low volume vehicles like the Montero and the G Wagon, virtually no vehicles were available stock with a locking differential let alone front and rear selectable lockers. Most vehicles back then that were considered "great" for wheeling needed LOTS of upgrades to make them capable and reliable off road. The XJ Cherokee for example came with 28" tires on the high end, no locking differentials, fairly weak axles that were undergeared for larger tires, a transfer case that needed major modification to handle more than about 2" of lift, etc., so if you wanted to turn that into a robust platform that meant a lot of work and a lot of money. Your signature shows the vehicles in your fleet have quite a bit of modifications and are certainly far more capable than when they were stock, but that took a lot of time and money to get there.

Many OEMs today offer locking differentials, extremely effective traction control on and off road, 33-35" tires, skid plates, off road ready bumpers, disconnecting sway bars, and tons of accessories on top of modern drivetrains that have more power, better fuel economy (not by much though if we're being honest), far superior crash safety, better technology (whoever thought in the 90s today we'd have something like Gaia and OnX built into a nice huge color screen via Carplay on the dash?), more comfort, and a warranty to cover the vehicle. Styling however is subjective, and that is one area where I agree OEMs have gone a little far. I drove a new Tundra recently and didn't love the words TOYOTA across the dash on the passenger side and some of the styling elements overall including the camo pattern in the seats. My favorite look for a modern off road vehicle is our completely bone stock, no tint, Highlander lookalike 2008 Land Cruiser because 99% of people don't even know what it is and think it's boring. Regardless, it's easy to buy a brand new vehicle today from Toyota, Jeep, Ford, GM, Land Rover, Rivian, and others that blow the overall performance of yesteryear vehicles out of the water - without the need to modify much if anything.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I hear this refrain frequently on forums, but I think the golden era of off road capable vehicles is actually right now. Other than Toyota and a few low volume vehicles like the Montero and the G Wagon, virtually no vehicles were available stock with a locking differential let alone front and rear selectable lockers. Most vehicles back then that were considered "great" for wheeling needed LOTS of upgrades to make them capable and reliable off road. The XJ Cherokee for example came with 28" tires on the high end, no locking differentials, fairly weak axles that were undergeared for larger tires, a transfer case that needed major modification to handle more than about 2" of lift, etc., so if you wanted to turn that into a robust platform that meant a lot of work and a lot of money. Your signature shows the vehicles in your fleet have quite a bit of modifications and are certainly far more capable than when they were stock, but that took a lot of time and money to get there.

Many OEMs today offer locking differentials, extremely effective traction control on and off road, 33-35" tires, skid plates, off road ready bumpers, disconnecting sway bars, and tons of accessories on top of modern drivetrains that have more power, better fuel economy (not by much though if we're being honest), far superior crash safety, better technology (whoever thought in the 90s today we'd have something like Gaia and OnX built into a nice huge color screen via Carplay on the dash?), more comfort, and a warranty to cover the vehicle. Styling however is subjective, and that is one area where I agree OEMs have gone a little far. I drove a new Tundra recently and didn't love the words TOYOTA across the dash on the passenger side and some of the styling elements overall including the camo pattern in the seats. My favorite look for a modern off road vehicle is our completely bone stock, no tint, Highlander lookalike 2008 Land Cruiser because 99% of people don't even know what it is and think it's boring. Regardless, it's easy to buy a brand new vehicle today from Toyota, Jeep, Ford, GM, Land Rover, Rivian, and others that blow the overall performance of yesteryear vehicles out of the water - without the need to modify much if anything.
I stand by my comments and robust drivetrains and lockers were available in the 90s.
And there's no valid point to what I've done to my personal vehicles to enhance their capability to suit my needs.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I stand by my comments and robust drivetrains and lockers were available in the 90s.
And there's no valid point to what I've done to my personal vehicles to enhance their capability to suit my needs.

To clarify, I was referencing the below quote that people need to spend $20k in mods on new vehicles to go out and use them as intended. Many new enthusiast vehicles are truly capable right out of the box and need zero modifications to use as intended, but vehicles from the 90s almost certainly need to have quite a bit of money invested into modifications and maintenance to hit the trail with the same capability and reliability as you have done to your fleet.

They'll tell you this will go on trails everywhere and even show pictures of it on the rocks but one way or the other you're gonna spend another $20k in repairs or modifications.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Non-Hybrid truck pricing has been announced. It’s on the Toyota site as well in industry print. So nothing yet for the TRD Pro or Trailhunter. But a LTD non-hybrid is $53K. So looks like we should expect near $60K for top trims.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
For those of you who enjoy fun turbo noises, the Tacoma now has them. It doesn't sound like a rowdy V8, but it sounds really good for what it is. The video is set to play at the part with the engine noise:

View: https://youtu.be/2Q3v9kOYew4?si=1U4dzeLpLlmr19E7&t=317

One other great part about turbo engines is piggyback tunes. As Denver and the dealers get more strict about tuning, piggybacks are great. The install in about 10 minutes and uninstall in about 10 minutes with no tools. Burger Motorsports already has a piggyback that will work and it adds a safe 40hp and 54tq at the wheels. Oh and the joy of having all your horse powers at high elevations.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sound of a Tacoma? Please, it's embarrassing. The reasons for a mini truck are many but factory engine sound could never be one (@dan1554 excluded undoubtedly).

View: https://youtu.be/6g3Ay83JLJE

Also, look close in the video for some Easter eggs, so to speak. It's Australia after all and cool 4WDs there are like seeing Brodozers here. But its not just 70 series and Hilux you want to watch for...

Last edited: