1FZ-FTE build

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Working the cold air side today. Test fitting all the elbows. They are trim to fit. Throttle body side was a bitch. Used a bicycle tire lever to pry it on I think I’ll unthread all the hose clamps to install them without removing the hoses

27D48084-CB99-49CA-91A8-333CB78DEEA2.jpeg

8F12A154-FB8B-4DE6-AB1E-A842D94B6713.jpeg

EE59825E-0358-4B0A-B09A-BE584E990205.jpeg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What a PITA to have all those air hoses with 180-degree turns. Seems like rebuilding the top of the air cleaner housing would make it less complicated.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I want to see you exhaust pipe solution when its done. Looks great so far.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I do plan to install a York in front of the turbo for on board air. Have the bracket already.
Cool. It was either/or with the supercharger.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Need a video with sound!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah Corbet, what are your impressions!?

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Drove it to a Ouray this week for the first time. Honestly I expected a little more power. But that said I passed everything in front on me including a Cummins Nissan going up Molas pass. I’m still just running 5.25psi.

I need to get a wide band and air/fuel gauge on it. Fix the exhaust leak. Then just make sure all is good before swapping in the bigger spring into the waste gate.

It’s been great though. Basically I’m one gear higher in almost all driving situations. Way quieter to drive as a result. It’s not fast. But it’s no longer in the way. I keep up with traffic like I’m driving a V8 truck.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You will feel a difference with the bigger spring. There is definitely more kick in the 6-7 psi range than in the 4-5 psi range. 33s on mine vs 37s on yours makes a difference I imagine as well.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
What I should have also added is that right now the power is very linear. You don’t feel a boost of power. It’s immediate off idle. If I handed the keys to someone unfamiliar I don’t know how anyone could know it’s got a turbo. Maybe that changes with more boost but I hope not.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
since youre now able to keep up with traffic and then some...from the way it sounds, it almost seems like itd be best to leave the smaller wastegate spring installed to not beat up the engine nearly as much. thats of course if the afr's/egt's look good.