1966 Stout Project

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Nice job so far!

For the wheels, you could consider some 1st gen pickup wheels. They look exactly like the 40 steel wheels except they're usually off white without the hubcap clips. I believe they're 15x6 instead of 15x5.5. I got a set of 5 from YotaJim back when I lived in CO.
You are totally right! I almost had a set but the guy sold them out from under me!

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Won't first-gen pickup wheels have issues with the IFS setup of your 4Runner chassis? I agree they would look the part.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Won't first-gen pickup wheels have issues with the IFS setup of your 4Runner chassis? I agree they would look the part.

I don't think so, the spare is a 15x7 and works on all 4 so I'm not worried about the diameter. The center bore on both the 40 series and 4runner seem to be the same at 4.25" and both are lug centric. Also the 4runner has a backspacing of 4.625" and from my research the stock 40 wheels are 3.5" so i think ill be in the clear, however, i stand to be corrected. Is there something else I'm missing that i should consider?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Like all things 'wheels' - test fit a wheel on each axle before you buy them. Check to see if they stick out or in (from the wheel well) too far, and if the wheel weights hit the calipers, TREs, etc.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I uploaded another video of the Stout with a little start up at the end. Otherwise its all fun wiring stuff.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
New video update. I swear ill do a photo upload soon. I purchased some 68 mustang seats to replace the Honda Pilot seat that I was using, they definitely need some work but they were cheap. I also got some 40 series disc wheels and some 60 series wheels from another member and checked for fitment. The back wheels bolted right up but neither front wheel bolted right up due to the caliper, I spent a little time grinding the caliper but they will need some more grinding for the front wheels to fit. I had originally thought that the caliper was bottoming out on the wheel but after a second look I determined I didn't take enough material off of the top of the caliper, so more grinding to get them to fit. I also have a good idea for tire size now that I have had wheels and tires of multiple sizes. I am thinking that I can realistically find some 31x10.5 r15 for this thing, however, I would love to find a tall skinny for a 15" rim. I know that a mud terrain 33x9.5 was made and I think that would be a perfect fit under this thing but I think it has been discontinued for years.
The wiring is nearing completion and with just a few connectors integrating the lights into the 4runner harness and it should be done.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Hey...did you see there is one of these (I believe same year) for sale on Facebook? If I find it again, I'll post the link.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I am back and I have been working on the Stout when time allows. The wiring was the bulk of my winter project with several evenings spent cleaning the whole harness up and wiring in the Stout switches into the 4runner harness. It was quite the task but I find doing harness work meditative and the sense of accomplishment is worth the effort when everything works. Just a reminder of what the harness looked like straight out of the 4runner.
IMG_7313.JPGIMG_8331.JPG
Here it is about halfway through. I left the wiring for the stock 4runner gauges so I could see the rpm and speed etc if I was interested. I also left the obd port wired so I could scan for codes if something came up. The stock Stout gauges are wired to give me fuel level, check engine light, and coolant temp directly from the 4runner harness. They seem to be fairly inline with what the 4runner cluster was reading so im going to go with it for now and monitor it when it actually gets driven.
IMG_8363.JPG
And then right before i wrapped the harness.
IMG_8370.JPG
And here it is in the truck. The ecu fits snugly behind the cubby out of view and the cabin fuse box fits nicely under the dash to the left of driver. Everything is pretty well tucked away and accessible where needed. I still need to wire the harness to the stout ignition and starter switch but that's easy stuff.

IMG_9277.JPGIMG_9268.JPGIMG_9281.JPG
And the classic check if the lights work!
IMG_9297.JPGIMG_9307.JPGIMG_9308.JPG
Here are a few photos of the Stout the last few months that helped me keep moving along on it.
IMG_8251.JPGIMG_8522.JPGIMG_9263.JPGIMG_9249.JPG
There's more work left to do but it is getting very close to being back on the road again!

Attachments

• IMG_9275.JPG
    IMG_9275.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 229

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
wait...a sweet ass truck AND a Ducati Scrambler?!?!?!?!? I think there are laws against having that much awesome in a back yard.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
wait...a sweet ass truck AND a Ducati Scrambler?!?!?!?!? I think there are laws against having that much awesome in a back yard.
The Scrambler is actually my wife's bike, mine is a very customized Triumph Bonneville...
momo.JPG

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
The Scrambler is actually my wife's bike, mine is a very customized Triumph Bonneville... View attachment 86216
Ok, you need to stop now. Seriously green with envy!

My first bike was a Bonnie. It was a 2005 Black and I loved it! It was my only means of transportation for about a year and it never let me down. Although it did suck riding it in the rain almost every day during the summer. In SE Georgia and North Florida, it rains almost every day for about 30 minutes sometime between the hours of 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., right about the same time I was getting off work.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Very cool man! Nice work!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Ive been pretty busy lately working out all of the little things on the Stout and in an effort to get it done quicker i didn't take nearly as many process photos. I scored some mustang seats that were really bad for a great deal as well as some new upholstery and made my own custom brackets to go in the Stout. They look much more appropriate than the Honda Pilot rear seat i had in there before. The interior still has a few items left done like insulation/sound deadening, carpet, door panels, and visor but things are certainly moving right along.
IMG_9340.JPGIMG_9466.JPG
On the exterior i was able to get some 235/75 15's for the 60 series wheels and get them all bolted up. I think they look pretty decent but will eventually switch them out with the 40 series wheels i have and a little taller tire. I also didn't have a front bumper for the Stout and found a first gen Bronco one and fabricated some brackets to bolt it up.
IMG_9467.JPG

And thats it for exterior modifications for now, it looks and performs like i envisioned it so ill call it a success!! I've done about 50 miles in it now and everything is working as it should!! I took it to the scrap yard to get rid of some of the damaged 4runner parts and it weighed in at 3250lbs. This makes it 150lbs heavier than it was with the 1966 drive train and 200lbs lighter than a 1997 4runner. It moves pretty swiftly compared to how it did with the old drivetrain. I know its not as many details as usual so I will post some better images of it soon to show what all has been going into it recently.
IMG_9471.JPG

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Nice progress! Those Mustang seats were also used in '66-'77 Broncos, if that makes them seem more appropriate for an offroad rig ;-). Looks great! While I like '60 wheels, '40 wheels with caps (or maybe without) could look really slick.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Nice progress! Those Mustang seats were also used in '66-'77 Broncos, if that makes them seem more appropriate for an offroad rig ;-). Looks great! While I like '60 wheels, '40 wheels with caps (or maybe without) could look really slick.
Thanks! I agree, the 40 wheels seem more appropriate given the Stout production year. I did know that, that's how I got a good deal on the seat covers as well, it seems Mustang guys don't know that the Bronco covers are the same.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I ordered some 32x9.5 r15 Super Swampers for the 40 series wheels and after a month they finally arrived! It certainly looks much more like i imagined with this set up compared to the 60 series stuff. Ive been really enjoying it as an around town truck the last month and the interior has really come together as well. Ill take some better quality photos of the exterior and interior soon and post them up. Until then here is how she sits today!
IMG_9663.jpg
IMG_9664.JPG
IMG_9669.JPG
IMG_9674.JPG