• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

1966 Stout Project

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I purchased this 1966 Toyota Stout in April of 2018 after trying to buy it from a friend for 3 years who then sold it to another friend who kept it from me for an additional 2 years, so, its definitely been something I've given a lot of thought about. The day i towed it home, and later that summer. IMG_5634.JPGIMG_E6358 2.JPG
As a teenager my first nice vehicle purchase was a 1997 4runner with the 3rz and manual everything which i owned for nearly 12 years before selling it for a turbo Subaru (a mistake). So now we begin the idea, the Stout has suffered from lack of parts supply from owner to owner over the years and needs more parts that are not manufactured anymore than parts that are. After a year of research into replacement parts and tooling around with the idea of doing engine swaps with a Beams (3sge) or a 1uz , however, all the driveline and brakes needed to to be repaired as well and were still unavailable. Always fresh in my mind was the 3rd gen 4runner or 95.5 taco, I've will always love this era of Toyota. Through a visit to the junkyard and lots of research i determined that the wheelbase of the Stout 104" and the wheel base of a 4runner/Taco was 105" as well as the track Stout 67" and 4runner/Taco 66.5". The numbers are surprisingly close and would solve all of my problems with mechanical parts on the Stout. Thus began my search for the base of the build, a 4runner/Tacoma with the 3rz ("Fun Fact" the engine code for the Stout is 3rc). I also liked the idea of it being 4wd with a little higher clearance as i had been always been more interested in high and slow than low and slow.. I have been collecting inspiration photos for the build over the years and they serve as my inspiration for the project.
CALPOLYATPARKER.pngCenterlineImages.1977.Class 7.Milam.toyota.701.21x.jpg100_8243.jpgCenterlineImages.1976.Baja 500.Baldwin.toyota.21x.jpg
100_8240.jpg100_8238.jpg
The following winter..
IMG_6396.jpg
I looked at copart as i had luck getting my 100 series through them and thought a salvage 4runner would be perfect for the base. I also posted a wanted add here on Rising Sun with great response and the perfect vehicle offer from another Rising Sun Member, a 1997 4runner with a manual and 3rz! I was pumped, and we struck a deal, however, it was in Gunnison with some mechanical issues so it couldn't be driven home without creating further issues. Step in the trusty 100 series to tow its fallen friend to its new home.
IMG_7119.jpg
We cruised slowly over Monarch Pass without issue and jaunted up over Kenosha as we watched the 4th of July traffic sit at a stand still. The 100 series certainly proved its worth and didn't skip a beat on the trek home with its new friend in tow. Once we were home i began to evaluate what i had gotten myself into.
IMG_7121.jpgIMG_7122.jpgIMG_7130.jpg
Before i agreed to purchase the 4runner the PO notified me that cylinder 1 had no compression and cylinder 3 was low on compression, he also notified me that there was no clearance on one exhaust valve for each those cylinders. I took it apart to confirm for myself and came to the same conclusion.

IMG_7178.jpgIMG_7176.jpgIMG_7177.jpg
Cylinder 1 had 5ish psi, Cylinder 2 had 148psi, cylinder 3 had 88 psi and Cylinder 4 had 148psi (i can't find that photo). I also measured the valve clearance and exhaust shim thickness.
IMG_7174.jpg
The 3rz is notorious for these issues of elongating the valve so that it never closes, so this comes to no surprise that there is no clearance on those valves. I ordered the new shims for the exhaust valves and i am currently waiting on them in the mail to see if this corrects our issue. However, it could be a burned valve or even possibly a cracked head... Keep your fingers crossed...

Attachments

• IMG_7178.jpg
    IMG_7178.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_7175.jpg
    IMG_7175.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 285

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
NICE!!!

This is going to be so COOL! I love it when people figure these things out!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know, I'd actually not make it 4WD and build it as a street rod. Those look so rad even at stock height. But a 4WD Stout would be extremely unique. Whatever you come up with will be cool!

maxresdefault_mid.jpg

I make it a sleeper with hub caps and everything.

582_mid.jpg

Looks like a really cool truck is it 4wd?
Stout and then later Hilux were 2WD until 1979.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
On the very last day of Rubithon 2008 as we were airing up to get back on pavement, a built 4WD Stout drove past. I probably have a photo somewhere. It was awesome.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Ironically I just saw a very built stout on Facebook that was just completed...I only wish I was smart enough to post it here. Lowered hotrod. Very cool.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Awesome! Will be watching this one. A 4wd Stout would be a blast.

There has been a really cool sleeper, original patina Stout with an LS1 at the Good Guys car show in DesMoines the past few years. It would be really fun to see one with a crazy fast turbo Toyota engine like a 2JZGTE or something.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
NICE!!!

This is going to be so COOL! I love it when people figure these things out!
Thanks, I have built several motorcycles in a similar approach with the most recent one being a 1980 Honda xr500 with modern bmw/ktm suspension and braking components.

Looks like a really cool truck is it 4wd?
Stock they are not 4wd, but have a very neutral ride height.
Gotcha are you keeping it 2wd? I really want to build a low 2wd pickup
I am not keeping it 2wd, the donor 4runner is 4wd however I have been considering ways to get it to ride a little closer to stock Stout ride height.
Low is fun to look at but this one is too low, its actually just sitting on the bump stops as someone before my purchase cut the front springs a little too much and pulled all but 2 leaf's from the pack.
Ironically I just saw a very built stout on Facebook that was just completed...I only wish I was smart enough to post it here. Lowered hotrod. Very cool.
If you come across it again do share!

You know, I'd actually not make it 4WD and build it as a street rod. Those look so rad even at stock height. But a 4WD Stout would be extremely unique. Whatever you come up with will be cool!
I make it a sleeper with hub caps and everything.
Thanks, I gave a lot of thought towards a hotrod 1uz or 3sge that was a sleeper, who knows I could end up adding a turbo to the 3rz as LCE makes a pretty complete kit....

On the very last day of Rubithon 2008 as we were airing up to get back on pavement, a built 4WD Stout drove past. I probably have a photo somewhere. It was awesome.
Do share if you come across it.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Awesome! Will be watching this one. A 4wd Stout would be a blast.

There has been a really cool sleeper, original patina Stout with an LS1 at the Good Guys car show in DesMoines the past few years. It would be really fun to see one with a crazy fast turbo Toyota engine like a 2JZGTE or something.

I have seen the truck you are talking about, unfortunately the guy who owned and built it recently passed. I know but I think the 2jz is a bit long for the Stout bay, I am definitely leaving the option open to turbo the 3rz down the road..

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Here are a bunch of photos from the last year when i re-wired, patched a hole in the floor, refurbished the interior, made my own turn signal lenses from acrylic, replaced the rear bumper with a 1 dollar garage sale find bumper (Sweet Broncos sticker included) and shortened and straitened a rear 1963 Ford Fairlane front bumper i had laying around.
IMG_5726.jpgIMG_5746.jpg
IMG_5871.jpgIMG_5870.jpg
IMG_5918.jpgIMG_5926.jpg
IMG_E5893.jpgIMG_E5907.jpg
IMG_5928.jpg
The seat came from a 2005 Honda passport.
IMG_5940.jpg
Check out my suede headliner..
IMG_6020.jpgIMG_6021.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg
IMG_5708.jpg
I made the signal lenses with a laser cutter from acrylic as replacements were around $200.
IMG_5803.jpg
IMG_5962.jpg
Crusty rear bumper..
IMG_5964.jpg
A little less crusty rear bumper.I also replaced the taillights with fj-40 units as the original stout taillights are like the early 40s and cost an ungodly amount of money.

Attachments

• IMG_5710.jpg
    IMG_5710.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_5920.jpg
    IMG_5920.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 303

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
The valve shims arrived in the mail last night and i was able to install them before the sun went down, the valve clearance came back into spec for the two bad exhaust valves and number 3 cylinder came up to 148 psi, however, number 1 only came up to 120ish. This is better than nothing and i suspect the valve is burned on that cylinder. This morning i was able to throw everything back together and take it for a drive around the neighborhood and it was running surprisingly well pulling up to 50mph without hesitation (i live in an industrial area) and settling out well when coming to a stop from 1-2-3 jaunts. I figure that for my current purposes that this will work for the time being and i will just keep an eye out for a cheap replacement head or save up some money for a fancy LCE head. Here are the possible options to fix the cylinder head.
LCE Stage 1 head-$1900
Remanufactured Cylinder Head-$500
Have the current head fixed- $250
Junkyard Head-$100

Thoughts or opinions?

Now begins the part out of the 4runner body component, check my add in For Sale for any interior or exterior 3rd gen 4runner parts!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wow great work! Looking forward to seeing this come together. :thumb:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I'll caveat this by saying all of my engine building experience is with older Chevy and Ford V8's but the concepts should still be the same. (unless I'm missing something)

I've built several motors and have actually used each one of the options that you have listed. All of them worked great in their intended application so it just depends on what you want out of the motor. If you're just wanting a fun driver then IMHO the LCE head might be a little overkill (that's relative to what you think is "fun", lol) Getting the current head "fixed" is also a relative term. For the price you quoted I'm assuming they will just address the valves and associated ports that are bad and not worry about the other ones. A remanufactured head will ensure that the head is good, it will have a fresh grind on all of the ports and all of the valves will be good with fresh springs.

So in short:
LCE head - great if you want a lot of high performance out of it but may be overkill for your application
Remanufactured head - will bring it back to stock performance and will probably last as long as the bottom end will
Fixed head - will get the head close to stock performance but you may be on borrowed time with the other valves (again, assuming that the price only addresses the bad valves and leaves the other ones alone

Junkyard head - could be a really good option and you'll know if it's good or bad as soon as you pull it off. (but again, you'll be on borrowed time) If by some chance you find a junkyard head that is obvious it is in good condition, then that head may outlast the rest of the drivetrain

Hope this helps!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I'll caveat this by saying all of my engine building experience is with older Chevy and Ford V8's but the concepts should still be the same. (unless I'm missing something)

I've built several motors and have actually used each one of the options that you have listed. All of them worked great in their intended application so it just depends on what you want out of the motor. If you're just wanting a fun driver then IMHO the LCE head might be a little overkill (that's relative to what you think is "fun", lol) Getting the current head "fixed" is also a relative term. For the price you quoted I'm assuming they will just address the valves and associated ports that are bad and not worry about the other ones. A remanufactured head will ensure that the head is good, it will have a fresh grind on all of the ports and all of the valves will be good with fresh springs.

So in short:
LCE head - great if you want a lot of high performance out of it but may be overkill for your application
Remanufactured head - will bring it back to stock performance and will probably last as long as the bottom end will
Fixed head - will get the head close to stock performance but you may be on borrowed time with the other valves (again, assuming that the price only addresses the bad valves and leaves the other ones alone

Junkyard head - could be a really good option and you'll know if it's good or bad as soon as you pull it off. (but again, you'll be on borrowed time) If by some chance you find a junkyard head that is obvious it is in good condition, then that head may outlast the rest of the drivetrain

Hope this helps!

I appreciate the insight! I think ill keep an eye out for a good deal on Remanufactured head while I work my way through the rest of the project.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I can tell you where considering an "LC Engineering head" leads...

Runs on pump gas. ;-)

You can already read me.. but I am a bit to frugal to go that far with this build..

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Over the last week i have been busy taking apart the 4runner and selling some of the parts to recoup some of my investment. I managed to get the whole interior pulled and took out the interior dash harness.
IMG_7310.jpgIMG_7314.jpg
IMG_7313.jpgIMG_7319.jpg

I had a bit more time before it got too hot and was also able to start clearing stuff from the engine bay by moving the engine harness out of the way, taking out the charcoal canister and unbolting brackets for the brake lines and evaporate lines.

Next up: Brake master and booster, clutch master, radiator, and air box.