• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

1966 Stout Project

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I hate to say it, but the lack of all that wiring, plastic, computers and components is 2/3 the charm of a Stout. ;) :bowdown::zilla:

Still a cool project tho. keep it going! (y)

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I hate to say it, but the lack of all that wiring, plastic, computers and components is 2/3 the charm of a Stout. ;):bowdown::zilla:

Still a cool project tho. keep it going! (y)
Thanks! I appreciate the critique and encouragement.
I agree, and if this Stout was in better cosmetic and mechanical shape I think I would make more of an effort to keep it original. Between about a dozen carbureted motorcycles and 3-4 cars/trucks I'm also just tired of working with carbs and smelling like exhaust because I always end up adjusting the things too rich. I plan to dissect what I need from the interior harness and ditch the rest, there's a perfect spot behind the dash cubby to hide the ecu and interior fuse panel as to keep the interior aesthetic the same. However, the engine bay will certainly be filled with some necessary plastic bits associated with a vehicle of this era. I was also driven to do this particular swap as the driving feel of the 3rz 4runner rings nostalgic for me as it was my first car and was as much a part of the deciding factor to do the swap itself.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I was also driven to do this particular swap as the driving feel of the 3rz 4runner rings nostalgic for me as it was my first car and was as much a part of the deciding factor to do the swap itself.

Wow - youth! My first car (to drive) was a '72 Ford wagon, followed by the first car I bought myself (For $300) - a rusty '72 Chevy van.

Great project by the way - I think this will be slick and fun when you are done.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I was also driven to do this particular swap as the driving feel of the 3rz 4runner rings nostalgic for me as it was my first car and was as much a part of the deciding factor to do the swap itself.

Wow - youth! My first car (to drive) was a '72 Ford wagon, followed by the first car I bought myself (For $300) - a rusty '72 Chevy van.

Great project by the way - I think this will be slick and fun when you are done.
Thanks for encouragement! Ive owned several project cars as a young teen thanks to a dad that had a small auto shop. I think of it as the beginning of my weird car obsession. As a kid my Mother drove an 1980 Celica and by the time i was 16 I had owned a 1973 VW super beetle, 1973 VW Westfalia camper, 1988 Subaru gl Turbo, and a 1986 Subaru Brat before i got the 4runner. I actually drove the Brat for about 6 months right when i turned 16 before i sold it to a collector as it had 63k on it and was perfect with T-Tops and Jumper seats! I still have the desire to own another Brat one day but thanks to that car and from saving up from selling the other cars i was able to buy my 4runner which treated me well for over a decade.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Today i reached my goal of removing the brake master and booster, clutch master, radiator, and air box.To finish up clearing the engine bay and everything going through the firewall I removed the steering column.
IMG_7325.jpg
I continued with the theme and removed the fenders, bumper, grill, headlights, and corner lights.
IMG_7329.jpg
60813-c4a3789a3c68b92b6881b405cd125842.jpg

I also removed the front body mount bolts and started to remove everything that is attached to the body from the underside.

Next up: Remove the rear bumper, un bolt the rest of the body mount bolts and whatever bits i find attached to the underside.

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpg
    IMG_7330.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 249

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Last week i managed to get the 4runner body unbolted from the frame and other misc items removed. Now its on to dissemble the Stout. I removed the radiator, engine wiring, seat, floor panels and clutch and brake master cylinder. IMG_7384.jpg
IMG_7387.jpg
There is something about the factory Toyota fuel filter that i just love, so simple yet functional.
IMG_7382.jpg
Although there is little to offer for sense of scale this is approximately how high the front should sit at final ride height.
IMG_7389.jpgIMG_7390.jpg
Next up: continue removing the Stout body from the frame.

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Hey Neighbor! Looking forward to coming over and seeing this in person, amazing work.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I think it’ll be a great driver with an updated efi engine. Looks great
I sure hope so, i would love to be able to use it as my primary transportation without the family.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Everything is free and ready to be swapped over. The steering column was a pain to get out of the Stout. It is directly connected to the steering box so i was forced to take it out as one whole unit, whichin the confines of the small Stout cab felt like it weighed almost as much as me. The Stouts body mounts also were not coming off by traditional means so a sawsall made quick work of those pesky things.. Since the Sawsall was out already i decided to cut the front clip off the 4runner so i could power wash the frame.
IMG_7419.jpgIMG_7424.jpg
IMG_7408.jpgIMG_7399.jpgIMG_7398.jpg
Next weekend i have several friends coming over to help remove and cut up the 4runner body and lift the Stout cab and bed onto the 4runner chassis. Then things will start to slow down a bit, I'm in graduate school and have a new born child so with school starting back up and spending what limited time i have with my family i won't have free time to spend on the Stout. This is great because it will allow me to be a little more thoughtful in my approach to fabricating the things that will allow the swap to operate successfully as well as save up some money and keep an eye out for good deals on parts that i know i will be needing.

Next up: A Stout body loosely sitting on a 1997 4runner chassis

Attachments

• IMG_7409.jpg
    IMG_7409.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_7421.jpg
    IMG_7421.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 237

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
you should figure out a way to reuse the stout steering wheel, shift linkage and guages. they're super unique and cool.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
you should figure out a way to reuse the stout steering wheel, shift linkage and guages. they're super unique and cool.
I agree, i plan on keeping the interior all Stout including the steering wheel and column and think that that fuel gauge, oil pressure light, coolant temp gauge, and charging light will work. I don't think the mechanical speedo will work with the 4runner stuff but that cable has been broken since before i bought the Stout and i only know it works because i drove it with it working before it bit the dust.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I had six of my friends come over yesterday to dismantle and remove the 4runner body and move the Stout body over to the 4runner chassis, i sure feel it today but all in all it was a success.
IMG_7488.jpgIMG_7491.jpgIMG_7501.jpgIMG_7521.jpgIMG_7526.jpg
At first glance everything clears and lines up well and will be better with some finessing and figuring out the body mounts. I definitely am going to have to give some thought to the brake booster as that area is tight.
IMG_7546.jpgIMG_7549.jpg
IMG_7547.jpgIMG_7548.jpg
IMG_7537.jpg
IMG_7544.jpg
IMG_7538.jpgIMG_7539.jpg

Now things will start to slow down a bit, ill be doing some research on all the little pieces that will help me get the Stout on the road and getting them done as i time allows. For now, its a Stout body loosely fitting on a 3rdgen 4runner chassis pretty darn well!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Wow, Looks like a good fit! So will this be titled as a 4runner?

What are you planning to do with the stout frame and drivetrain?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Wow, Looks like a good fit! So will this be titled as a 4runner?

What are you planning to do with the stout frame and drivetrain?
Thanks, its even better now but i don't have photos to show it yet! Good question, It will remain titled as the Stout as I have 4 years left on my collector plates and wont be driving it more than the allowed amount. I will hold the title and the vin plate for the 4runner if I ever need it. The frame and drivetrain are pending sale to a guy in Omaha.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
My hat is off to you for figuring out the logistics to make this happen. What an awesome project.

Any chance that you will leave the awesome patina on the Stout?

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thanks! I’m definitely leaving the patina, the pictures hardly do it justice, it certainly earned its character.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
let me know if the frame/drivetrain deal falls through, i know someone who is interested. ;)

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
let me know if the frame/drivetrain deal falls through, i know someone who is interested. ;)
I will let you know if the deal falls through.