1966 Stout Project

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Well i was too excited to stay away from doing more work on the Stout and managed to get everything stuffed in the bay. The clutch and brake master cylinders are bolted in place and although i had to drill new holes for the studs and remove the booster ( i wanted to keep it but the last 2 cars I've had have had manual brakes) they bolted right in, who would of thought the original clutch and brake pedals would work too, i sure didn't. The gas pedal still needs mounted but that should hopefully be pretty simple. I also got the lower section of the steering column connected and what luck, the firewall bypass fits great! I still need to cut the columns up so i can marry the Stout steering wheel and column with the 4runner shaft but that should be pretty straight forward and easy.
IMG_7556.jpgIMG_7604.jpg

The fan was occupying the space my radiator needed to be so i removed it and the stock radiator slid right in. I was able to quickly fab up some brackets to mount it in place and ordered some electric fans to make up for the absence.
The air box just isn't going to fit with the whole set up so I ordered a cone filter to connect to the mass air flow sensor tubing and it should fit in there, although eventually i would like to fab something up to pull air from the fender since there is loads of room in there.
The fuse box and evaporative stuff fits and still needs mounting holes drilled but that will be quick work. I will need to order a longer positive and negative cable since the battery is staying in the stock Stout location, which it fits.
IMG_7606.jpg

Underneath I have got some work to do still, i didn't want to mount the body until i had everything in the bay figured out incase it needed to move a little for a specific component. There are both wins and losses when it comes to the body mounts, there are 4 mounts that line up with the cab great and just need holes drilled and bolted in, the cab had 5 mounts originally and i need to make a 5th one to mount the front which is simple and straight forward. The bed is going to be tough, on the passenger side i can use the original Stout bed mount which also interlocks with the cab, however on the driver side the gas tank occupies the space where the other mount needs to be. The rear mounts are off about 3 inches on each side between the 4runner body mounts and the Stout bed mounts, i figure i can pull the bed off and just weld in new mounts to line up with the 4runner mounts.
But really, this time, i think things will slow down a bit....Although id love to have it driving by the annual rising sun rally...

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for sharing. Did you see the mechanic receipt? They have spent $5500 just for the "truck to be useable" as is stated on the receipt!!!
Its a good example of how much you can spend to just get it driving down the road as an originalish Stout, I can tell there is a lot that is not original or stock about it.
I hope to be at around $3500 when its all said and done including the purchase of the Stout and 4runner.
Also as usual BAT isn't the place to find a real deal on one of these, i usually know of 2 or so Stouts for sale at any moment.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I hope to be at around $3500 when its all said and done including the purchase of the Stout and 4runner.

You are wise in your restomod approach, unlike virtually all BaT rides.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Where are finding stouts for sale? I'm always looking but never see anything local, tips appreciated! ;)

HDavis

Hard Core 4+

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
WOW! 13,000 for the blue Stout on BaT

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
WOW! 13,000 for the blue Stout on BaT
I can't believe it, its pretty rough for $13k. What a contrast in pricing to the one that sold for $1300 about a year ago on BaT. It goes to show what the power of good pictures and the right buyer can do to the price of a vehicle. My appraisal was 4-6k for it based on what I've seen over the years. Last year there were three for sale for 3k and one of the three was nicer than the one that sold on BaT yesterday.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-toyota-stout/

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Ive been slowly doing things on the Stout as time allows. The front body mount on the Stout is located right in the center of the body so i needed to weld in a new cross member to weld a mount to. It was a pretty straight forward ordeal 2" box tubing and salvaging the 4runner body mount made quick work of it all.
IMG_7860.jpgIMG_7862.jpg
I also started working on marrying the two steering columns together. I got lucky, really lucky and both columns had an O.D. of 19mm so i found a sleeve with a 19mm I.D. and cut the columns to length welded them together and used the lower half of the 4runner column cover to clean everything up and offer a second mounting point. I will make a bracket for that when i am sorting out the floor and other interior metal work.
IMG_8046.jpgIMG_8049.jpgIMG_8050.jpgIMG_8058.jpg
IMG_8065.jpg

We have steering! And brakes! and kind of a clutch...
I also got the Brake Master, and Clutch master cylinders bolted in and connected to the associated pedals, although the brakes work great the clutch pedal doesn't offer enough throw to engage the clutch so i will need to cut and weld that to work effectively. I also drilled and mounted the charcoal canister and fuse box, got a much longer positive battery cable to relocate the battery and routed the positive and negative cables to their new location. This inspired me to throw the harness in and make sure everything works, it fired right up like nothing had changed.. a little motivation to keep chopping away at out.

Attachments

• IMG_8062.jpg
    IMG_8062.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Its been awhile, but I've been doing stuff when i have had a few minutes here and there. I was able to get the clutch pedal sorted out and take the Stout around the block. I immediately got it stuck in the alley and had to switch over to 4hi but it managed to get around the block and try out low range cycle through the gears so i call it a success.
IMG_8221.jpgIMG_8251.jpg
Ive since just been spending my time in the engine bay cleaning things up and sorting things. I had to weld on some new brackets for the radiator since it was in need of upper mounts, I'm not sure if im happy with them since it will require drilling into the bulkhead but we will see. I managed to get a small electric fan on the back of the radiator that also allows clearance for the power steering belt.. Im pretty thrilled about having both power steering and the electric fan on this thing!
IMG_8311.jpgIMG_8306.jpg

Here is how it sits today with plenty more to do but I'm slowly chipping away at it. I've been keeping my eye out for some 40 series steel wheels and some pizza cutters as well as some low back bucket seats that will feel more period appropriate, so if you have something laying around let me know!
IMG_8313.jpg

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
This is still too cool!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great progress. It will be so cool when you are complete.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah I love That thing nice work!!!

Last edited:

scheefdog

Hans - this is looking awesome! The fit and promotions of the Stout on the 4runner are perfect. The older wheels and pizza cutters are really going to finish out the look. So good to see the 4runner morph into this!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Hans - this is looking awesome! The fit and promotions of the Stout on the 4runner are perfect. The older wheels and pizza cutters are really going to finish out the look. So good to see the 4runner morph into this!
Thanks Ryan! That 4runner was certainly the best platform for the Stout. Thanks again!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
He guys I was fortunate to receive a gopro for the holidays and made a video of the work i have been doing. Im going to be doing this alongside the forum update so let me know what you think.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Nice job so far!

For the wheels, you could consider some 1st gen pickup wheels. They look exactly like the 40 steel wheels except they're usually off white without the hubcap clips. I believe they're 15x6 instead of 15x5.5. I got a set of 5 from YotaJim back when I lived in CO.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Nice job so far!

For the wheels, you could consider some 1st gen pickup wheels. They look exactly like the 40 steel wheels except they're usually off white without the hubcap clips. I believe they're 15x6 instead of 15x5.5. I got a set of 5 from YotaJim back when I lived in CO.
I like this idea!