• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

1966 Stout Project

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Looking great! You should find or fabricate the correct headache rack for it and mount your spare in the bed.

Love those mudflaps too. I have a similar set I've been holding onto for years that I want to install on my 60. Need to figure out how to mount them.

Are your tires the tsl radials or bias ply? I've been on the hunt for 32" swampers for my 40, but they are hard to find. No one has them in stock.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Looking great! You should find or fabricate the correct headache rack for it and mount your spare in the bed.

Love those mudflaps too. I have a similar set I've been holding onto for years that I want to install on my 60. Need to figure out how to mount them.

Are your tires the tsl radials or bias ply? I've been on the hunt for 32" swampers for my 40, but they are hard to find. No one has them in stock.
That's a good idea on the headache rack! I couldn't bare hiding the cool Toyota lettering on the tailgate and plan on painting in the letters white eventually. Mine are bias ply, I think that's all they offer in 32x9.5 r15. I ordered them from 4WP and it took about a month to get them in.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yours would look great with the proper rack since it's so utilitarian.
toyota_stout_3.jpg

There's the classic bed-side.
index.jpg

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Build Update! A few thousand miles later and I am still bumping around in the Stout. I had to replace a coil and it needs new front ball joints soon. Other than that, all is peachy.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Wow! I thought I updated this recently and I obliviously have not. The Stout is still going strong. I've used it for all kinds of truck stuff this last year. From hauling manure, gravel, scrap metal, and lumber to going to the hardware store, hamburger stand, getting a ticket for stopping in the crosswalk and attending the Colorado Yota Expo, I forgot to take a single picture at the expo.

I renewed the plates so that means a planned 5 more years of wonderful ownership for me. It's hard to believe I've already owned it that long. I changed the oil and did a little overall inspection with nothing to report but my skepticism of the ball joints. So, I think I will finally be replacing them for peace of mind, but that's about it.

I haven't mentioned it before but my windshield has a bb hole in it and there has been no replacement availability. I just accepted it and moved on, however, there is a gent who is going to start producing new Stout windshields. How lucky we are to have such a capable community of owners.

I haven't gone wheeling in it this year and I should probably make a point to take on some double track at the least before the snow fly's. Until then here is a photo dump of the past year or so.
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_9819.JPG

IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3950.JPG
DENR002_20230204_190709_175_SB_TR_0e8bbf34-e351-4d09-bd98-c9023a77772e.jpg
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_5772.jpg

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
That thing is soooo cooool!