which ADV bike?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Went camping last night. I didn't weigh it, but I estimate I put about 60-80 pounds of junk on the back of the bike, wanted to see how it would go if I didn't really sweat the weight. Handling on the pavement was ok, felt really squishy on bumps, but still cornered fine. I was a little shaky on dirt roads, could feel that my cog was higher which just made me go slower. One the rougher stuff handling really got squirrelly, I was all over the place a couple times. No weight on the front end, so lots of understeer, front tire would turn easily on fairly mild sized rocks, which would then turn the bike, which would then lean over, then 2 or 3 over-corrections later I was sorta in control again.

then I laid it down. pretty steep section, loose in the middle, I didn't have enough speed and lost my line, then got into the center and well just wound up setting it down. No speed, no damage, but then I couldn't lift the bike back up. So then I took off about half of my gear to get the weight down, and managed to put the bike back on its wheels, walked it back down to the flat area below, then took another shot at the hill and made it, walked back down 2x for all my junk. Overall a good experience. here is the bike resting on the side of the trail...

IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1591.jpg

Here's all my stuff:

IMG_1592.jpg

Really nothing glaring, just a dozen or so 5 pound items... the heaviest was the full rotopax, I probably didn't need 2 gallons of water for one night but to my credit I did drink half of it. That other rotopax thing had some rain clothes in it, small stove and a couple pots are stored in that rear rack case. the panniers have my tools, first aid, my therma rest, then the duffel bag had my sleeping bag in it, I strapped the tent on separate.

On the way down the hill this morning I was out of water, and beer, and tossed the tent in Bruce's 80.. actually handled a bit better but was still pretty light in front. I didn't really have any extra clothes, for my next adventure I'm going to try some different side bags that hopefully hold more, so more of the weight can be lower on the bike.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Alright time for setup #2... open to critique here. I removed the soft bags & am using the Honda panniers.. keeping the plastic case bolted to the platform in back. My sleeping bag is bungeed to the seat, which serindipitously acts as a nice lumbar support, also keeps me forward, in a better control positon.
IMG_2141.jpg
IMG_2142.jpg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here's what is in the cases...

Case #1 is the big one (no detent for the exhaust) and is only about half full. I'm going to fill the other half with clothes, probably a pair of shoes, some shorts, backup socks & underwear. And hopefully room for rain paints and rain jacket, which I realize after doing this I hadn't packed yet. The red bag is my thermarest, the grey bag is a lightweight 12x9 tarp, and the little black one is an OLS first aid kit. https://outerlimitsupply.com/

IMG_2166.jpg
IMG_2167.jpg
IMG_2168.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg

this one still feels pretty light, but it'll get some more clothes in it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Case2 is the exhaust pipe side, so a smaller case. And it's pretty full, and feels a big heavier than the other side. At this moment I like that it's heavier, as it's on the high side when the bike is on the kickstand. Anyway here's what is inside:

IMG_2170.jpg
IMG_2171.jpg

the olive green one is a canvas tool roll. That skinny thing is a 21w solar panel, the white one is my tent, the little black one is an LED light strip, and the hunter green backpack from SAS contains a hammock, hat, and the liners from my riding pants and jacket.
IMG_2172.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The liners will double as my jammies if it gets cold at night. The LED light and solar panel weigh next to nothing... thought there is it would be cool to have at least some light source for hanging out at night, or a dreaded nightime repair, and I made a special cord that allows it to plug into one of 2 available cords already wired on the bike- same as I use to trickle charge in the garage. the hammock is just to have some type of chair, presuming I find a spot to hang out with trees, doubtful I'd sleep in it but maybe a nap, who knows. I also has some rope and carribiners that could be useful. And the solar panel is just a worst-case thought, I already have charging for every device I'm carring on the bike, but if it happens that the bike isn't running, and its battery is dead, well here's planB for charging the phone and/or GPS.

IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The tool roll is likely the least amount of tools I've ever carried. I bought some fancy tire levers that double as wrenches for my axles (also super lightweight), a front tube and a lightweight hand pump. It'll be a project to repair a flat, but whatevs. I probably have too many allen wrenches, but those are the smallest sets I have- the extra ones in sockets are 8mm and 10mm, which I have bolts for throughout the bike-like it takes an 8mm to remove the rear pegs. So I put in a socket adapter for my 1/4" ratchet. I have open end wrenches for all the common sizes, sockets too, plus a hundred spare fuses, electrical tape, and couple random hand tools.

IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Finally the top case on the bike is reserved for food. It will hold a couple Nalgenes, but then has a little soft cooler and the plastic liner that could go inside it, or separate if there's something I don't want crushed. The thought here is it stays pretty empty most of the time, toss in a few bars or pop tarts for the day, but then towards the evening we gas up and hit the store and/or restaurant- could get carry out and a six pack and put it in this case, then easy road/trail to camp. So I want some reserve capacity for this, it's the highest thing on the bike so would be mostly empty when stuff gets real during the day.

IMG_2178.jpg
IMG_2179.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My handlebar mounts have been working really well, I've got a few hundred miles in using both the GPS Ram mount I added and the cheapo phone mount that came with the bike. They were both in use during the first outing up Mammoth Gulch above. I don't really need either one but they're both nice to have's, insurance obviously that we can push the SOS button if need be, or just stay in touch. I can't use the phone with my gloves on, and I think that's a good thing, but if I see calls and texts start to blow up I can always pull over. The Garmin has easy to use buttons I can use with gloves, and it's doable while driving, though almost impossible to read anything on the screen so better to just stop for that one also.
IMG_2689.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Which brings us to weight... using the bathroom scale subtractive method I measured both panniers & my sleeping bag at 47.6 pounds. I did a ride yesterday all loaded up and found a dirt construction site to play in, managed to make the front tire skid out a little then correct it a couple of times. I want to say it's a lot more stable than it was before, but tough to do in a parking lot, the truth is in the rocks. Couldn't really feel the weight on the pavement though, bike seemed to handle just fine.

Case 1 weighs 16.3 pounds full and 6.2 pounds empty, so right at 10 pounds of gear
Case 2 weighs 26.9 puonds full and 9.7 pounds empty, so 17.2 pounds of gear. I'm over the limit here, these things have a stated 11 pound weight limit.

So if I subtract the 2 panniers I have total gear weight of 31.7 pounds. Of that the three heaviest items are the tool roll, tent, and sleeping bag. #4 probably the first aid kit. Assume the first aid kit is around 4 pounds and we're at 22 pounds combined weight for all 4 items...

The tool roll is the heaviest item of case 2, and it weighs 6.3 pounds.
My tent is 5.7 pounds https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y46GVF3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My sleeping bag is 5.8 pounds https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PUSO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First aid kit approximately 4 pounds.

So I got the weight down a bunch from before, but still pretty heavy. Honda says 11 pounds max per case, which is nothing.. but surely that's a safe number with some margin. I have read though that these cases are light/medium duty at best, so to overload them then crash would likely result in a yardsale out on the trail. I'm not that worried about the 11 pounds though, even the 17 doesn't feel like that much. But curious if there are any suggestions for ways to reduce here, or am I already close to the lower limit of balancing weight, comfort, and preparedness?

Planning on riding most of the Alpine Loop next week- 2 nights camping total. will report back for sure how it all goes!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
  • Your tool kit seems pretty overdone I think. Can you pair it down more? Like do you need two rolls of electrical tape, all those butt connectors/fuses, and a multimeter? Adjustable wrench/needle nose/box cutter (carry a pocket knife) can be traded for a mini vise grip with wire cutter. may want a short section of fuel line. only pack the socketsthat fit your bike. (does it take a 13mm for example). Do you reeeeealy need that manual?
  • ditch the tent, you have the tarp. use the bike as one side and make a lean to. I no longer use tents when camping by myself or with just allison, we have been using tarps in any weather for years now, they work great, dont be skeerd.
  • neo air therma rest is a good lighter weight one if you like comfort, if you can sleep on rocks a windshield shade works and is cheap.
  • I'd ditch the solar panel, you have charging on the bike. weighs nothing but it weighs something and is bulky. Plan B should be conserve battery power if the shit hits the fan. my guess is it'll all be plugged in and 100% when/if the bike shits the bed or yo uwalk away from it as its hangs precariously off a cliff and recovery is impossible..
  • 4lb first aid kit also seems over the top. cut it to the basics that'll keep you from dying. leave the band aids and triple antibiotic at home.
  • Bring sun screen for your neck, a tiny amount.
  • water bladder instead of nalgenes. also a filtration/sanitation method rather than excess water. just carry a few liters at a time. We run the sawyer filters inline with our bladder hoses and carry very little water anywhere unless its somewhere like the desert. stopping to get water is relaxing and fun.
  • Make sure the personal locator beacon thing is like actually tied with string ot the motorcycle. maybe the same with your phone. maybe even carry the PLB on your person somehow.
  • DItch the hammock. You can relax in the dirt or in your sleeping bag on the dirt.
  • ditch that long LED thing for a cheap light headlamp.
  • (mentally) dress yourself in the warmest/driest set of layers possible, this includes your sleep clothes. that besides some extra sock should be all you carry. worst case you get soaked swap some stuff around and survive or crawl in your sleeping bag for extra warmth.
  • bring a lighter

Every little bit counts, so some stuff may seem light and easy to bring but it all adds up. also reducing bulk means you can pack things where you want them (lower?) Less Gear=more beer

anyhow this is just off the top of my head.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok interesting stuff thanks Marco, just what I was looking for. I could probably stand to take another pass through the tools, will look for a better multi tool that doesn't weigh a ton- I've got one, but it weighs more than the combined weight of what it's supposed to replace. Was on the fence about the solar panel anyway so ok, that's an easy one. those fuses weigh nothing but that case could be smaller if there were less of them... it's just the case they came in.

I'm not sure I can ditch the tent though.. if it's raining I'm going to need a dry spot to hang out & sleep, mud under a tarp is still muddy yuck. but if it's that bad I'd probably just keep riding to a hotel at that point, or come home.

If I have a water filter and carry a few litres of water I'm not sure what diference that makes vs. a few litres in a nalgene? Other than I don't have a filter to carry. I'm already going to the gas station anyway for gas and snacks, so figure I just fill up from the soda machine. I guess the benifit is being able to run out of water then fill up from a stream. My jacket has a pocket for a bladder but I did a ride with it and hated it- the water weight pulled the jacket down and my collar up and was almost choking me, rubbed my neck a bunch. I'd rather stop every now and then and just take my helmet off and swig from a bottle. I don't want a separate camel back either.

I wish there was a way to put a leash on that Garmin unit, had to take that off for the ram mount. Maybe I can do some modifiation though, will look at it. I don't want it in my pocket though as it's heavy after a while, and it would suck to fall on.

edit: the manual is now in my phone, saved the .pdf to "books." also found a shop manual, got that one too. Should have thought of this one before, I have manuals for every one of my ham radios saved there also. thanks for the push!

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Small piece of tyvek will keep you off of the wet dirt. usually can find some pine needles to hole up on. It's a commitment but it works... but yeah, it's all additive, even if it's a box of fuses that weigh nothing, just take out like 4 of them and leave the rest, that whole thing is effectively eliminated. Which made me wonder, Do you need that carabiners or can you tie knots with that string?

Also after you go out a few times you can get a handle on what you actually unpack and use (besides tools/spares). what you never get out just leave at home (hammock)

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm taking the hammock. and I'm going to use it every day now, out of spite.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Some good ideas here but you should consider a rack mounted stove, maybe a drawer system and definitely a MMT, its like a RTT but different.

moto stove.JPG
moto tent.JPG

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Oh that's fantastic, Dan. :lmao:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey anyone have a suggestion for a cool place to go? We have been planning on Lake City/Silverton, etc. but with the weather now starting to get cold feet... pun intended. Monarch got 15" of snow last week, and lows are now in the 20's and 30's. It's fun to camp in the cold and all, but not this trip...

I was looking at Medano pass last night, but even that is snowpacked now, or was on the 11th. Was thinking of Wyoming like Medicine Bow area, but wondering if that's too remote for getting food, gas, etc. like better for exploring in a truck with a fridge. Any cool ideas? Leaving Wednesday.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I didn’t read through all the stuff you listed. Too busy for me. You don’t need most of that stuff. Something to eat, something to drink and something to sleep in. The ride is what matters. If you’re going to WY, see if you can find a dirty route to Phantom Lake. (I’d like to ride up there after having seen the documentary.) Then post a ride review and pics of your panniers post ride. Definitely keep the hammock though!