which ADV bike?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you could pick, which one would you go with? I tend to see orange first, so looking at KTM 990, 1090, 1190... what about other brands though? BMW R? Honda African twin?

Kinda in the early fantasy stages... was talking to my brother at Thanksgiving that we should get adventure bikes & do some cool trips, his idea actually. but then broached the subject with the :Princess: and she said yes, you should totally do that. So now I'm looking at CL.. and I can't seem to make any sense of ADVrider yet.

Not going from Alaska to Argentina here- likely a good amount of I-70/285 time, Divide Road, John Brown Canyon into Moab, Kokopelli, Maze, Lake Powell stuff. Exploring a lot of Utah & Colorado mostly.

edit: like this video https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx Onion Creek to 128, I doubt those guys did Rose Garden Hill though.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I bet you could get one of those down rose garden with out too much broken plastic. Maybe just a bit. Getting it up would be painful to watch I think. Dave's KLR might be fun. Dave did yo usell that thing yet?

gahi

Trail Ready
my advice would be to pick the smallest/lightest that will fit your needs. Especially if you will actually be leaving pavement and graded dirt roads.

benjrblant

Trail Ready
I just picked up an '05 BMW F650GS. Came with some nice panniers to boot. Compared to a Land Cruiser, maintenance is a bit of a pain. If my budget were greater, I'd consider a new KLR650 with ABS or an Africa Twin, but that's just my opinion.

Here's a little blog post on 1 month of GS ownership:
http://overland.kinja.com/one-month-and-800-miles-of-gs-1820384239

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That Africa Twin is so badass.

teamextreme

I've been resisting the urge to add another bike to the stable in the form of an ADV. So far I've been able to convince myself I don't need it, or rather wouldn't have the time to use it, but I think it would be very cool to have one.

It all boils down to what percentage of road/off-road you plan on doing and how fancy you want to go (electronics, etc = >$) I want to be able to do a fair amount of dirt road/pass roads if I get one, so I'm leaning towards something more dirt oriented (and cheap) in the form of a KLR650. I have no desire to spend the kind of money any of the big bikes cost, like the GS1200 or the KTM Adventure's, nor do I have any desire to have all bells and whistles they come with. And I don't think they're suitable for the riding I'd do (even though people do it).

I am still tempted though by some of the mid-sized, closer to 50/50 bikes and would love to test ride some. In particular, the Triumph Tiger, BMW F800GS and Honda Africa Twin. All those look sweet.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
You might want to rent a big bike, or maybe talk to Tim J about borrowing his for a bit before making a commitment. I found the 950 to be interesting but not exactly fun on the Barbour Fork trail - and this was with zero gear strapped to it.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The F800 GS is way up my list of dream bikes, about the right size for a guy who wants to travel in relative highway comfort with camp gear but who has a few other bikes to cover the single track.

I've also been considering a ktm525 as a do all but since you already have one you know what the highway is like with a bike that light all wrapped out in the wind..

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Prior to my first FJ40 Land Cruiser, I had a Honda TransAlp, which is eerily similar to the new Africa twin (looks almost identical). It was a V twin 600+ adventure bike...very common in Europe, but less so here. When I was in the military in the 90s, I saw them everywhere I traveled internationally.

It was HEAVY for anything other than gravel bumpy roads. If you have to maneuver a ton, they are bulky. They ride nice getting to the trail, but if the trail gets rough, you'll realized the trade-off. I'm sure the newer version (Africa Twin) is lighter with newer tech, so who knows if it would be the same?

So, I would say if you want to go to UT a lot, it might be worth having a heavier roadworthy bike. If you're staying within a few hours of Denver, something lighter might be preferred.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I did sell the KLR. Man I loved the thing. It’s the 1984 regular cab mini truck of bikes. Completely unsexy but stupid simple and cheap. It was ok for everything but not really great at anything.

I bet I had less in the whole thing than a set of panniers for a BMW or KTM would cost. The only thing that sucked was Interstate rides but those scared the crap out of me anyway so I took back roads as much as possible. It handled good for basically a big dirt bike.

BTW I still have a dual sport helmet, jacket & pants if you’re looking to augment. Shoei Hornet, Alpinestars something, Klim pants.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
KLR's are driven to Ak and back pretty often... glad you sold it Dave!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
KLR's are driven to Ak and back pretty often... glad you sold it Dave!
We once ran into a guy at Grand Canyon doing the Pan-Am on a KLR. Their simplicity means they are in every corner of the world, like old Toyota pickups.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I have a 2009 KTM 450-XCW that's plated, totally set up and love it. I also had a KTM 990 DAKAR 30th anniversary edition that was fantastic, but too tall for my short legs. i sold it an bought a 2016 BMW R1200 GSA with the factory low seat option and love it.

I have done Switzerland trail and Bunce School Rd on the GSA. I did not always keep the shiny side up, but I survived and so did the bike.

I love the BMW. For a new ADV rider i would suggest starting with a KLR 650, a KTM 690, or a F800GS. If you want to cover lots of miles on the road as well as in the dirt, the R1200 GSA is fantastic.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I forgot you had that 990 Jeff, dang should have borrowed that.. :)

there's no way I'd attempt to replace the 525 EXC, I like riding it way too much and for dirt out the back door there's no better, IMO. But even 5 quick miles on 285 feels like I'm a pebble or gust away from death.. granted some could be tire related. I've wheeled a big heavy land cruiser, and know those limits, I feel I could adjust pretty well to a big heavy bike. But then be comfy back on the tarmac.

Pedal or Moto, I say bikes are like tents. each one is a compromise, each one has its sweet spot, and you can't own just one.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Tim,

I relate to the pebble or gust comment. If you want to try the R1200 out we can do that when I am back from Europe the week of the 18th. :)

Cheers,

Jeff

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
800 GSA now - 790 Adventure later. Neither would be my choice, but either of these would suit you.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Here ya go.

Attachments

• tim.jpg
    tim.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 352