which ADV bike?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Phew, thats an interesting setup. looks terrifying.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I want a timber sled so bad... never ridden one but I’m confident it’d be a blast!!!

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

They are a lot of fun. I have a kit on my 525. I don't ride it as much as I should but it is fun. Not rip your arms off like a sled but it lives up to it's tag line "anywhere you want to go" Side hilling is no problem. Tight tight tight trees, no problem. hill climbs.... it could be better... but you just side hill a bit get some speed up and keep going or look for a sled track.

That bike with a tire on the front would steer crazy. Also, thats a real narrow track for deeper snow. maybe on hardpack it'd be ok, but i'd still want a ski up front, yikes. Also, it sucks picking up the KTM in the snow but it is lightyears easier than diggin out a buried sled... that bike would reaaallly suck to pick up.
hijack off.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Loving my original 89 AT even more than my 2001. Does the new AS AT tempt you at all? They are already for sale over here. Not sure when the US release date is though.:confused:

Attachments

• ATback.jpg
    ATback.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Africa Twinb.jpg
    Africa Twinb.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 414
  • ATold:new.jpg
    ATold:new.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 403
  • ATold:new2.jpg
    ATold:new2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Very tempted on this one.

Attachments

• Monkey.jpg
    Monkey.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 326

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I had a Yamaha Super Tenere for a few years and I really liked it for long distance trips. The neutral position was very comfortable and it ate up the miles. Once I got the right windshield on it, the air management was awesome as well.

A few downsides:
1. It wasn't very good off road, at least for a novice like me.
2. It was a bit cumbersome for inner-city travel. It sat really high and I couldn't just swing a leg over it to get on it. This made frequent stops a bit annoying for me.

For what you're looking for, I think you should definitely consider it.

From what

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
790 Adventure R

Coming soon...

Attachments

• 790.jpg
    790.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 318

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Couple more pics from Intermot. I really like their idea to put the tank low and make the carbon fiber crash guards. Hopefuly, the production bike will still have them.

Attachments

• 790tank.jpg
    790tank.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 790rear.jpg
    790rear.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 300

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
das Fahrrad sieht wirklich süß aus. Kaufen Sie es und senden Sie es zurück. Sie können es bei mir aufbewahren

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Your google Deutsche is a bit better than mine, abba Fahrrad is a bicycle. Motorrad is motorcycle/bike. Which do you like better the T7 or the ADV?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I like that ADV but mainly because it's orange, and there's clear bias there. However to be honest there's no way I'd come close to testing the limits of any of these... still think the African Twin is the one to get though. But I've not ridden any of them, so who knows.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
The good news is with BMWs new 750 and 850, the T7 and KTM's 790 soon to be on the loose, prices on used Africa Twins are going to drop. Great bike and even better deals.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Alright so time to update this thread. I bought one. 2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT. Was used, got a pretty good deal, came with a bunch of accessories... overall I am very happy. On Sunday rode it for the first time, went to Ned for coffee then up to the top of Mammoth Gulch, was with my brother on his Triumph Tiger 800.

IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg

The longer story is I'd been looking for a 2018+ non-Adventure Sport for a while now... drawn in by the more advanced traction & rider modes, also an alleged upgrade to the transmission at very low speeds. But just couldn't seem to find any deals, so was getting into new bike prices. A new bike not so bad, but, knowing I also wanted skid plates, grip heaters, rock bars, panniers, etc. etc. there's probably $2-$3k to spend on a new bike to get it adventure ready, so to speak. But then a guy posted a fairly built up 2017 that was really well maintained, so I nabbed it. Won't name all the differences between the adventure sport & standard model, but the most notable are better suspension and a larger tank with the AS. After sitting on an AS I quickly didn't like either- was too tall and kinda intimidating, compared to the standard mode that seems more friendly. figure they all need new fork seals at some point, so I could just upgrade suspension then, and 220 miles is still a long way to go between stops, if I need more gas I'll bring some in a can. Just didn't like that really wide tank on the AS.

So far I've added case to the rear shelf, Rotopax, and 12v display/usb port to the dash. Also read through the manual, installed some soft bags to the pannier racks that came with it (I also got the hard cases, but trying soft for now), added a Ram mount on the handle bar for my Garmin Inreach, and got gas. it's only been a week.

My first pavement ride experience was pretty awesome... there are basically 4 different automatic modes, from Drive to Sport 1, 2, and 3. Basically 4 different ECT buttons, they just change the shift points for the most part, both up and down. There's also a manual mode where your left finger shifts up and your left thumb shifts down. You can always shift in any gear mode, and no matter what mode you're in you'll be in 1st if you get below 10mph. I settled in on S2 when I was in automatic mode. It handles really well in the twisty turns, Coal Creek Canyon was pretty fun.

First dirt experience was also better than expected. Was worried this was going to feel like a big heavy whale but I was able to control it easily and for the most part pick my lines. I was aiming for the big rocks, wanted to get a feel for how much the suspension absorbs, get comfortable standing, etc. I jumped it once and used pretty much all the suspension landing, and I tagged the skid plate once rolling over a big rock.. definitely not as nimble as the KTM, but we knew it wouldn't be.. but I feel like I could get this over all of Kingston Peak, which is probably as difficult as I'd ever need to take this bike. It's not for single track, but more Weston, Boreas, Rollins pass type of rides. I tested the ABS once, it works, but kinda makes the chain smack the swing arm a lot. I never tested the "G" mode, and never really tested the traction control modes- kept it on the lowest setting the whole time while on dirt. I'll play with that more in the future.

Only other first impressions are just living with a big bike- it's over 8' long and more than 500 pounds, so you really have to be deliberate with where you park, stop, etc. If you park nose down in a tight parking lot you're going to be hosed, there's no way you're going to back up with your toes sitting on the bike. Also no way you're going to pick the back end up. And I'm super glad I never laid it down... I have come close once in the garage putting it on the center stand, and holy cow once it starts tipping it gets soooo heavy. Guess you just get used to that.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Nice score Tim! I've been drooling over those AT's ever since I read about them coming to the states several years ago. Honda was a little too late getting into the adventure bike scene for me as I probably would have bought one of those instead of the Super Tenere I had. Don't get me wrong, I really liked my ST but there's just so much "built in" heritage with the Twin.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Very nice! You got the right bike and you're right on with what to do with it. x2 on the soft bags. Less is more and the less you take the more fun the ride will be. I park my bike where ever, but I always get off now to push it where I need to go. I started having metatarsalgia and mistakenly blamed it on my running shoes when it was actually from way too much toe scratching on the bike - plus running a lot. I'm over the hill now and find new pains more regularly than I'd care to share. I never lower my bikes, so I've always been a toe scratcher. You can also spin it on the center stand, or side stand if you need to. I can't recall if the new AT side stand will bend or not. I don't like using the side stand to pivot the bike for that reason. I am surprised though. That Yamaha T7 is a fit bike too and it is around 10k new. I thought you'd go that route. You'll want to get that right peg brace sooner rather than later from the guy at Camel. Everyone that I know who owns a 2016+ AT, and uses it, has broken that peg riding off-road. https://camel-adv.com/products/africa-twin-camel-brace. XRV.org.uk is a great resource - Johnathan @ Rugged Roads has a great lower motor guard - and tons of other stuff. Those stock bars are good for mounting lights, but not much else. As Alex would say, "So delighted!" with your choice. You'll have a lot of fun on it. Just remember to use those manual shift buttons when going up steep stuff. That will keep it from trying to shift up on you and potentially cause a problem where you lose momentum, or spin the rear when you don't want to. Here's my little AT at the lake just down the road from my house here in KY. I'll have a big brother for it that looks just like yours one day, but for now I couldn't be happier.
XRV650.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Congrats Tim!

I basically had the first "Africa Twin"....the Transalp. I believe it was a 1991? I sold it to buy my first FJ40 :)

Once you're used to a true off-road bike like the KTM, its hard to believe how "heavy" an adventure bike feels. For some of the trails we have, you are sometimes better off with an enduro type street legal dirt bike. I think it all depends on how long the drive is to the trail. The adventure bike is pretty comfy going long distances and is, as you mentioned, very fire road capable. The enduro street legal dirt bike is less comfy getting to the trails, but you could do even less crazy single track on them.

You will have fun with this bike!!!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@Jenny Cruiser your bike is so classy lookin! I will look into that foot peg, thanks. It already has some big upgraded pegs though so maybe I'm good. My crash bars are Heed so I believe a pretty good one, yeah everyone on ADVrider says the stock ones are junk, as is the stock skid plate. I'm not sure what kind of skid plate I have, but its thicker and wider than the stock one. I'll get some more pics, hopefully do another ride later in the week. Good tip on using the center stand to pivot- and the other kickstand is pretty darn stable too, in fact to get on/off it's a lot easier to leave it down, then step up onto the peg... so used to putting the kickstand up first then swinging a leg over.