• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

What have you done to your rig today?

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
1670005387664.png

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Explain to me how this works. I might need to know it someday. I assume putting smaller tires on helps you pass emissions?
The emissions testing centers here locally in the Denver metro will sometimes let you test with 315's or 35" tires and some others won't. I have had success testing with 315s at the Sheridan station but not at the Northglenn, Dacono or Ft Collins stations. So with that being said I bought a set of rollers to swap out my 315s so that way I don't have to worry about being turned away right before I am about to test.

And yes they can potentially help lower your emissions by reducing the stress your engine is under trying to turn the larger tires.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
The emissions testing centers here locally in the Denver metro will sometimes let you test with 315's or 35" tires and some others won't. I have had success testing with 315s at the Sheridan station but not at the Northglenn, Dacono or Ft Collins stations. So with that being said I bought a set of rollers to swap out my 315s so that way I don't have to worry about being turned away right before I am about to test.

And yes they can potentially help lower your emissions by reducing the stress your engine is under trying to turn the larger tires.
I suspected the less stress part but not the actual tire size getting you turned away. Do some of them just not have dynos that can fit that?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I suspected the less stress part but not the actual tire size getting you turned away. Do some of them just not have dynos that can fit that?
That's the gist of it, there's a limit for the regular dynos and some are more willing to do it than others. There's usually never any question at 33" tires, though larger than that can be hit or miss. Sometimes they won't do 34" either.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Yesterday I got all my parts together to do the diff breather mod as well as do my axle seal job. Also my BH3D cupholder came in.

gBjAD6n.jpg

Today I got the diff breather mod installed. Actually found that I was able to route the 11/32" PVC valve hose (this is the perfect size IMO, not crazy tight like 5/16" and not kind loose feeling like 3/8" and also pretty pliable considering how thick it is) down the filler neck cover from the gas cap gasket without pulling said cover off. It was a little tricky and I had to borrow my roommate for 2 minutes but ultimately I got it done. Still not entirely sure I like my mounting, was aiming to come off the frame close to the brake line so I zip tied it to that bracket and tried to leave plenty of room for flex but it's kind of hitting that link bracket. I think it will hold up but I will check it for signs of wear and maybe reroute it at some point who knows. Ended up only needing a shade over 5' of it. In retrospect I suppose I could have coiled up the extra on the frame with the excess to give me room for expansion but ultimately I think it should work even if I up my lift (and even if not I'll replace it along with doing the brake line extension as they both have the same amount of slack).

pNXZO9T.jpg

jOonYUb.jpg

ZkBcTgW.jpg

GSyLDhX.jpg

Last but not least I installed the cupholder. Man this thing is going to be so nice to have. It even fits my coffee mug almost perfect which is great because before I was having to stuff that thing between my passenger seat and my console, not ideal.

QS6dCrF.jpg

Tomorrow I tackle the axle seals and bearings. Time to get high on brake cleaner and have a week of gear oil stink on me.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
That's the gist of it, there's a limit for the regular dynos and some are more willing to do it than others. There's usually never any question at 33" tires, though larger than that can be hit or miss. Sometimes they won't do 34" either.
Now I'm just imaging same crazy lifted jeep running 40s having to swap to some piddly stock tires to do emissions, that would be a sight lol.
main-qimg-fb02c35bfa5135acc4c1c91764e2450d-lq

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Replaced three hoses, six clamps and a clutch slave cylinder and only needed a 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 1/4" drive.....gotta love the old rigs!

You know that old saying of "if it an't broke, don't fix it"? Well, I took the Pig up to get gas and check for leaks and noticed a little stumble in the idle and at low speed. So, I got back home and cleaned the carb and checked the cap, rotor and points. Noticed there was rust on the rotor and carbon buildup on the cap and points. Cleaned it all up with some light emery cloth and boom.......won't start and no spark from the plug wires. Damn.....must have messed up the rotor and points with the emery cloth. And, of course no one carries a points set in stock any more so I'll have to wait till Tuesday for them to get delivered.....grrrrr

View attachment 109686
Update:

After learning that at some point in the last 53 years some one added a Delco Remy Distributor into the Pig I've spent hours sourcing points, condenser, rotor and cap for a distributor that was originally meant for a 1959-1962 Chevrolet in-line six!

I then spent 16 hours putting in new plugs, wires, points, condenser, rotor, cap, coil and cleaning all the contacts and while I get 15 volts to the dizzy and a weak spark at the points, I'm not not getting any spark at the plugs. Researched MUD for hours and it appears this old Delco Remy Dizzy has crapped out. Looks like I'll need to source a OEM F motor dizzy! What a PITA since it was running fine and then just stopped! I guess I should be glad this Delco Dizzy didn't grenade in the engine like some have.

8CDB46BC-AC18-4C62-8A4A-134EADCF217E.jpeg

RDub

Update:

After learning that at some point in the last 53 years some one added a Delco Remy Distributor into the Pig I've spent hours sourcing points, condenser, rotor and cap for a distributor that was originally meant for a 1959-1962 Chevrolet in-line six!

I then spent 16 hours putting in new plugs, wires, points, condenser, rotor, cap, coil and cleaning all the contacts and while I get 15 volts to the dizzy and a weak spark at the points, I'm not not getting any spark at the plugs. Researched MUD for hours and it appears this old Delco Remy Dizzy has crapped out. Looks like I'll need to source a OEM F motor dizzy! What a PITA since it was running fine and then just stopped! I guess I should be glad this Delco Dizzy didn't grenade in the engine like some have.

View attachment 109863
Could your coil be bad? Not sure what about the dizzy would cause that with all the new parts. Unless the cams are all worn down. Bad coils are rare but I’ve seen them, and man are they hard to diagnose. Swap one in from another rig?

RDub

Could your coil be bad? Not sure what about the dizzy would cause that with all the new parts. Unless the cams are all worn down. Bad coils are rare but I’ve seen them, and man are they hard to diagnose. Swap one in from another

RDub

I suppose worn shaft bushings could cause the dizzy to take a poop, but not like a step change. Check the coil and all wires for continuity and possible poor or inadvertent grounding.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I suppose worn shaft bushings could cause the dizzy to take a poop, but not like a step change. Check the coil and all wires for continuity and possible poor or inadvertent grounding.
Same here. I've tried a new coil with no effect. I've cleaned all the positive and negative connections and replaced a wire into the wiring harness that had some bad insulation with no effect. The Delco dizzy is a piece, the points small adjusting cam screw next to the locking screw has snapped off, so while I can still adjust the points and lock them down I'm losing confidence in the whole distributor.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Oneops

Realized my frame height is a 1/16th to low to take the t case out on the jack.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Air up dem tires