• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What have you done to your rig today?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Well I had a little surprise today when I went to air up. The weld for the spindle on one of my 4x4 labs rear swingouts failed. Surely my fault, but now I need to fix this. Thoughts?

Cut rest out clean it all up and weld it back in or order a new spindle from 4x4 labs?

Should I add some reinforcements to the area?

IMG_6903.jpegIMG_6904.jpegIMG_6905.jpeg

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I welded my 4x4 labs internally at the lower end as well into the lower edge of the shell. I may have even drilled the lower shell and used a rosette weld there.
Glad you found it in time!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I welded my 4x4 labs internally at the lower end as well into the lower edge of the shell. I may have even drilled the lower shell and used a rosette weld there.
Glad you found it in time!
Interesting, the lower ends on mine don't reach the lower shell by ~1". 4x4labs responded to me quickly yesterday and are gonna sell me a new spindle for a very fair price, so I think I will cut the old one out and clean it up. But I will also ask them about this.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Interesting, the lower ends on mine don't reach the lower shell by ~1". 4x4labs responded to me quickly yesterday and are gonna sell me a new spindle for a very fair price, so I think I will cut the old one out and clean it up. But I will also ask them about this.

I ordered mine built from 4x4 labs and it was welded in both locations. It broke similar to yours but on the lower shell weld.

Luke sent me a new bumper and had the old one shipped back. New one has seen more abuse and no issues so far.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Simple oil change... 8 bolts to remove the schrockworks front 3 (of 5) skids so I didn't blast oil everywhere. Found a missing bolt and shim. Changed oil and filter. Logged oil change. Last one was 6k ago in December of 2020 (jist rolled over 200k). Lubbed entire drive line and front UCAs. Reinstall front 3 skids. Locate used bolt and temporarily use washers as shims. Found out bolt abandoned ship because threas in tacked on nut don't want to snuggle the bolt any more. Not sure what to do with that in the short term... guess I'll run it without. Mostly whole again and ready to go another few k.

Side note, does anyone know where get or have experience with these drain plug valves so I can just slip a hose on and turn the pet-cock? I have plenty of space between the skid and the drain plug to do this.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I ordered mine built from 4x4 labs and it was welded in both locations. It broke similar to yours but on the lower shell weld.

Luke sent me a new bumper and had the old one shipped back. New one has seen more abuse and no issues so far.
Good info, I will talk with them today

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Well I had a little surprise today when I went to air up. The weld for the spindle on one of my 4x4 labs rear swingouts failed. Surely my fault, but now I need to fix this. Thoughts?

Cut rest out clean it all up and weld it back in or order a new spindle from 4x4 labs?

Should I add some reinforcements to the area?

View attachment 105750View attachment 105751View attachment 105752
Brian, I also welded mine internally at the base, which requires working from the inside with the bumper off the vehicle. This also looks like more penetration is needed on that weld, or maybe multiple passes. I preheated the spindle both top and bottom with a map torch after I tacked it in place but before I ran my beads, not sure if that helps. Its tricky as there isn't a good way to gusset this up top, but you may find a way to gusset the base of the spindle in.

My spindle did reach down to the lower outer shell, did I read that yours didn't?

I'll have to look this over closely to see if there is any sign of fatigue on mine.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
That style spindle breaks in that manner consistently. There's really no reinforcement for it. Even if you have the spindle go all the way through the bumper and weld it at every possible location, it will eventually just snap the spindle off at the top regardless.
We stopped using those all together for that reason. There is a spindle from 4xinovations that uses a "C" shape and has a heavy duty "C" shaped case that can be welded on and reinforced if desired. We've had far better performance with these spindles and have yet, to my knowledge, had one fail.
The straight post spindles will always fail in the way shown above or something similar to it. The one exception to this is if you have a roll cage or some other type of exterior armor where an additional post spindle can be welded above the lower one. This configuration seems to work well because you have two points holding all that weight and handling the vibrations. But obviously not everyone wants to put additional armor on their vehicles to be able to achieve this end.
Just FYI.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
That style spindle breaks in that manner consistently. There's really no reinforcement for it. Even if you have the spindle go all the way through the bumper and weld it at every possible location, it will eventually just snap the spindle off at the top regardless.
We stopped using those all together for that reason. There is a spindle from 4xinovations that uses a "C" shape and has a heavy duty "C" shaped case that can be welded on and reinforced if desired. We've had far better performance with these spindles and have yet, to my knowledge, had one fail.
The straight post spindles will always fail in the way shown above or something similar to it. The one exception to this is if you have a roll cage or some other type of exterior armor where an additional post spindle can be welded above the lower one. This configuration seems to work well because you have two points holding all that weight and handling the vibrations. But obviously not everyone wants to put additional armor on their vehicles to be able to achieve this end.
Just FYI.
Very good info. Is this what you are referring to? (https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Assembly_p_109.html)

Sending you a PM too.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Replaced the power steering fluid, and kicked up the timing on my 80 from 3* to 7*. She feels like I added a supercharger. I should have done this a long a time ago.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Did some 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs and made a video. Really the first minute and a half is all that's worth watching...
Turn the volume up! Nicely done. Can't wait to see it.

coloradobound

Hard Core 4+
Not really done to my rig, but messing with projector options on 80 series glass depo headlights

Attachments

• 20220731_174321.jpg
    20220731_174321.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
New upper control arm bushings on @NotyourmomsWife s 4Runner. Got about 150k miles out of these old upper bushings. Camburg also sent new grease zerks to make it easy to lube.
Rear axle bearings and seals and brakes next weekend and well as squeezing the Jenny Creek work day.
Also smoked a pork shoulder for carnitas.
165A1C1E-2B26-4CF3-A9E4-5A029B86CF38.jpeg
796D7786-C7E2-46BC-9C7F-D3C2CE18CB8C.jpeg
3C1C0697-2202-43AB-925E-AA749211D7F2.jpeg
EB3E5517-7C3B-4997-AC5D-19BEDE8046A9.jpeg
A26921F9-4CFA-4E02-BE87-87AE829A711E.jpeg
5CE87939-D210-41EE-BC3B-4A115E18EECE.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
LongCruiser's house batteries were not charging right. I think its an old hellroaring system. Not sure. I was only getting about 9V on the house side of the isolator relay. I put @Corbet's son to work cleaning contacts. He did great but that did not cure it, I bypassed the relay. Corbet supervised and did a whiskey tasting. Now I have to come up with a battery isolation system.

Oh, drove his wife and her cousin to and from kenny Chesney and played movies for the boy.

IMG_1980.jpgIMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1986.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
LongCruiser's house batteries were not charging right. I think its an old hellroaring system. Not sure. I was only getting about 9V on the house side of the isolator relay. I put @Corbet's son to work cleaning contacts. He did great but that did not cure it, I bypassed the relay. Corbet supervised and did a whiskey tasting. Now I have to come up with a battery isolation system.

Oh, drove his wife and her cousin to and from kenny Chesney and played movies for the boy.

View attachment 106186View attachment 106187
View attachment 106188
I like the shirt @Corbet