Vanity call signs...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Good call Matt, no reason to overthink the license plates.
I was thinking I would just stick with the hand-held unit until I get more experience. This would make it easier to go between the LX, Pig and 40 (soon, I swear!).
The LX will probably be the more often used rig for family trail runs based on how much Leanne is digging it!

The handheld units are fine when you're on the trail with a small group, but man, you can't beat the range of an installed mobile unit. The ability to transmit ~30 miles is so useful. I'd encourage you to do a mobile unit in the truck that you'd take on a wheelin' trip.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
The handheld units are fine when you're on the trail with a small group, but man, you can't beat the range of an installed mobile unit. The ability to transmit ~30 miles is so useful. I'd encourage you to do a mobile unit in the truck that you'd take on a wheelin' trip.

Missed this! Yes, Dave and I were talking about the mobile units, and how it is tricky to maintain this capability in multiple vehicles. No way I want to set up mobiles in the 40, 55, and 470. Dave was talking about a cool idea where you create a HAM & CB set-up in an ammo box. Power leads and coax jacks for both radios and you are set. I thought this sounded like the perfect set-up!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Dave mentioned this at Chinaman's a few weeks ago, but I never took a look. Great idea! We need to see this, Dave!! :)

Missed this! Yes, Dave and I were talking about the mobile units, and how it is tricky to maintain this capability in multiple vehicles. No way I want to set up mobiles in the 40, 55, and 470. Dave was talking about a cool idea where you create a HAM & CB set-up in an ammo box. Power leads and coax jacks for both radios and you are set. I thought this sounded like the perfect set-up!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Ammo can mobiles (called go-boxes usually) are handy but they're almost, if not more, inconvenient than an HT. In an old FJ40 or FJ55 you can find a place to stash it but in less spartan interiors there's nowhere to shove a 50 cal box.

Not to mention one of the main reasons it's suggested to mount a mobile over an HT is to eliminate unsecured mass and the tangle of wires. At least an HT is small and can be sort of used while moving. Think about the logistics of trying to use a mobile radio that's in an ammo can while driving your 100 series. You also need to run heavy cable for a 50W mobile, an HT can generally be safely powered from a cigarette lighter but a mobile will blow the fuse definitely.

People spend more time and money trying not to spend time and money, just get three FT-1900s and be done with it. Hard mounted they can disappear almost anywhere. There are other options, the TM-281 has a front firing speaker and is a little bigger.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
These are examples. The second one is a 40mm can, so it's pretty big.

xn6jc.jpg

Seriously, look at this photo. This is a Kenwood TM-281 and consider how much wasted space there is. You can slip the radio in an armrest console or under the dash very easily.

ham-radio-ammo-can-2.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Ammo can mobiles (called go-boxes usually) are handy but they're almost, if not more, inconvenient than an HT. In an old FJ40 or FJ55 you can find a place to stash it but in less spartan interiors there's nowhere to shove a 50 cal box.

Not to mention one of the main reasons it's suggested to mount a mobile over an HT is to eliminate unsecured mass and the tangle of wires. At least an HT is small and can be sort of used while moving. Think about the logistics of trying to use a mobile radio that's in an ammo can while driving your 100 series. You also need to run heavy cable for a 50W mobile, an HT can generally be safely powered from a cigarette lighter but a mobile will blow the fuse definitely.

People spend more time and money trying not to spend time and money, just get three FT-1900s and be done with it. Hard mounted they can disappear almost anywhere. There are other options, the TM-281 has a front firing speaker and is a little bigger.

Like.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
And consider mic cable length and that you'll need to hear the radio, so external speakers or having the radio itself close, especially in the 40 and 55 if you're moving.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
W1NKS for instance?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Group C call signs (those for Technician and General) are K-, N-, and W-prefixes for regions 1 through 10. Your vanity call signs can start with any of the prefixes and be from any region in the Lower 48. The second prefix letter can vary as well, either be not present (1x3) or several 2x3 options with a few restrictions.

There are a few reserved ones. Your mailing address must be in Hawaii or Alaska to be assigned or request region 11 (KL, WL, NL) and 13 (KH, WH, NH) call signs. If you live in the Caribbean, region 12, you get KP, WP and NP. The region digit varies within these prefixes in different ways, but these call signs still remain geographically locked.

You can use Group D (Military and Novice) call signs, although there's nothing unique about them practically speaking, other than MARS, but that's not an FCC Amateur service system and the calls are different. They have region digits and the letters have a definition amongst the services, though.

If you get your Extra class ticket you get access to Group A (Extra) and B (Advanced) call signs, which drop the 3-letter suffix requirement and add the A-prefix. Currently A-prefixes are the sequentially assigned ones to new licensees because the system ran dry of 2x2 K-, W- and N-prefixes. They are all almost completely still assigned due to the vanity system, too. Here, again, AH- and AL- are reserved to Hawaii and Alaska Extra class only.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
so the answer is no? :doh:
As Technican, you can use any unassigned combination of 1x3 or 2x3 that starts with K, W, N.

With the following exceptions:
  • Calls reserved for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico (K/WL, K/WH, K/WP)
  • Has suffix "EMA", "SOS", Q-codes (QRA-QUZ)
  • Has suffix starting with "X" (in 2x3)
  • Not NA through NZ (in 2x3)
  • Not WC, WK, WM, WR, WT (in 2x3)
  • Not KF, NF, WF (in 2x3)
Several are actually valid in 1x2, 2x2 or 2x1 but they'd be reserved to Advanced, Extra, clubs or special stations. Technician will always have 3 letters in the suffix.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+

Good points! From a time/$ perspective I am going to commit to learning how to effectively use the HT I have and go from there...

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ah damn, that's a good one!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have a feeling it's about time to renew ours.. feels like 10 years ago?