Vanity call signs...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Ok, so I'm vain :hill: but I don't particularly care for my "preassigned" call sign and I am looking to get a vanity call sign...

I know about searching to see if the call sign is available etc. but for those that have BTDT any tips or tricks?

Any reason to request a K vs. a N vs. a W to start off the call sign with?

Any reason not to add in the second letter (guess for us they are 'D')? i.e. K0 vs. KD0

Anyone have a suggestion for me on what might be a good fit :). On my current short list are the following suffixes: ZET, PEZ, WHL, TAZ, TOY, LEX

My main goal here is to get something unique that I can remember :eek:, may help others know who I am. A distant third reason would be the coolness factor but obviously as you can see from my choices I'm not working on the :cool: part too hard. :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I chose to keep the "K" because with the exception of Elmer and his dad everyone else in the club starts with K. My assigned Call was pretty easy but I wanted something more personal. I sounded out several variations and settled on my because of how it flowed from the tongue. Basically mine is said in three syllables....K-0-UBN. Simple call for a simple brain.... :rolleyes:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I chose to keep the "K" because with the exception of Elmer and his dad everyone else in the club starts with K. My assigned Call was pretty easy but I wanted something more personal. I sounded out several variations and settled on my because of how it flowed from the tongue. Basically mine is said in three syllables....K-0-UBN. Simple call for a simple brain.... :rolleyes:

Good points :thumb: - I also have tried to see how my choices would "flow" and got rid of many that ended up sounding like I was talking while eating peanut butter. Even then some of the above listed suffixes don't really flow. I'm leaning towards either ZET or WHL (i.e. Whale) because they seem to flow the best. If I get my app in soon I "might" have the call sign in time for CM08.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Good points :thumb: - I also have tried to see how my choices would "flow" and got rid of many that ended up sounding like I was talking while eating peanut butter. Even then some of the above listed suffixes don't really flow. I'm leaning towards either ZET or WHL (i.e. Whale) because they seem to flow the best. If I get my app in soon I "might" have the call sign in time for CM08.

How 'bout K0RSR? 2 silly-bles....ok proper is 5 syls but fun is two

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm...See, I hadn't even thought of combining it like that :D - Best I came up with to resemble my screen name was K0COR or K0CSR.

So K0ZET, K0WHL, K0RSR

Hmmm...Now you have me thinking :D

How about......W0RRY - That seems to fit :lol:

EDIT: Never mind...Some yocal in OK has that one already :rant:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I haven't been able to come up with anything that strikes my fancy. K0CBH is taken. :(

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I haven't been able to come up with anything that strikes my fancy. K0CBH is taken. :(

I've substantiated that I'm not very creative so I'll just list available options with "CBH" :hill:

KA0CBH (expired 8/15/99)
KB0CBH (expired 3/22/98)
KE0CBH | KF0CBH | KG0CBH | KI0CBH | KJ0CBH | KK0CBH
KM0CBH | KN0CBH | KO0CBH | KQ0CBH | KR0CBH | KS0CBH
KT0CBH | KU0CBH | KV0CBH | KW0CBH | KX0CBH | KY0CBH
KZ0CBH

I believe, reading 'da rules, living in CO (region 10) you can have any letter in the 2nd position EXCEPT for 'L' (region 11), 'P' (region 12), and 'H' (region 13).

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey I'll get on this.. anyone want to pick one out for me? I have been leaning towards K0NAK, which I believe is available... I really wanted N0KMN but someone took that one :(

I'm all ears though if someone wants to give me some suggestions, and yes Technician level, and unlikely to advance in the near future. I for sure want to have this in place before Rubithon, ideally CM.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I have been leaning towards K0NAK, which I believe is available... I really wanted N0KMN but someone took that one

Yep and yep...

Reading the rules it seems like the 2 character prefixes are generally reserved for the higher class license holders but all of us noob HAMs got "KD0" something so I'm thinking the FCC ran out of 1 character prefix licenses. Sooooo...does that open the door to requesting 2 character prefixes like I listed above for Chris :confused:...I don't know...

But if it does, how about "NA0KMN" :thumb:

If you want it in time for CM08 you'll have to hurry...Seems to take about 3 weeks or so...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Technician class is eligible for a 1x3 call sign. The FCC assigns 2x3 call signs to everyone, sequentially.

I came up with a list of about 35 call signs that I thought were cute. Most spelled words, with the 0 representing an O. I stuck with the 0 since it does represent the region we are in. I dumped the K.

Here are a few I remember from my list:
N0SFW (not safe for work)
N0DUH
N0OPE

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Why not K0ZET, that works.

That is why I got K0SLE

You read my mind :hill: - I thought about "K0RSR" that UB mentioned but then I remembered back to when I had vanity license plates on my '82 Toy SR5 PU. I wanted "SKI2XS" but it was taken. I settled for "SKINXS" and everyone would ask me what "Skinks" meant wondering if I liked reptiles or something :eek:. I could see it with the vanity HAM call sign of "K0RSR" and people asking me what "coarser" stood for?

Anywho...Application for K0ZET is in so we'll see. I should get it, it is just a matter of when now. FWIW to others looking to do this, I noticed in many cases the "KD0XXX" call sign was available but that the "K0XXX" call sign was not. I dismissed any of my ideas where this was true to avoid confusion with the owner of the "K0XXX" call sign. And, it sounds like per Matt you may not be able to get anything other than a 1x3 vanity call sign anyway? I only question that because Bill was able to get KD0RCH :confused:. Seems to me that if the FCC will grant you a "KD0XXX" call sign then why not a "KA0XXX" or "NA0XXX" call sign? As long as the prefix isn't restricted to a particular region maybe they'd let you have it :thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yes, you can apply for a vanity 2x3 and/or a vanity 1x3 -- on the same application if you're worried that you might not get your first choice.

I don't think I'd get K0XXX though -- people might think you're playing for the other team. :lmao:

fudge.jpg

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I don't think I'd get K0XXX though -- people might think you're playing for the other team. :lmao:

:doh:

I just caught on to what you were stating there :eek: :lol:

I should have used a $ or * to indicate just a general format instead of the X. Or, we should be worrying about you reading that in the call sign :hill:

Tim, put in your app with NA0KMN as the first choice and then whatever else you come up with as your other choice/choices. Who knows...If NA0KMN is an invalid choice they'll just move on to your next choices. You can use the ULS or the other site listed in the other thread to see if any of your choices are already being used or being requested. On the other site you can even query call signs with multiple requests. Some call signs have 20+ requests :eek:

If you need help let me know...It seems more daunting than it really is, mostly because you just aren't sure what to put where. The little links they offer to the side on each page with FAQs helped answer most questions I had. What would be really nice is if they offered a "Check this/these callsigns for validity and availabilty link". You can check the later but I have not found anywhere you can check the validity of a call sign.

EDIT: Found this on ARRLs site --> "Extra class type call signs, they can seek a 2x2 or 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups B, C or D. General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)" :( - Doesn't look like NA0KMN would be valid regardless of license class because the prefix "N" isn't a choice for 2x3 call signs. I'd give it a shot anyway, just don't hold your breath...

Now, I think this horse has been sufficiently beat :hill:

Last edited:

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I keep looking at this thread trying to come up with a vanity call sign for my screen name but the only thing I come up with is K0VRT, I do like the way Kilo zero victor romeo tango rolls off the tongue,but just don't know Any other idea's?
Thanks Dan

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I keep looking at this thread trying to come up with a vanity call sign for my screen name but the only thing I come up with is K0VRT, I do like the way Kilo zero victor romeo tango rolls off the tongue,but just don't know Any other idea's?
Thanks Dan

I like K0VRT...Like covert :) - You can be the covert Convert :thumb:

You could be totally absent of uniqueness like me and go with K0DAN (if it ain't already taken) :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
putting the site here, so I don't have to search for it again http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html

I like K0VRT, Dan. I think I'm going to go for NN0KMN myself, what do you guys think?

Tim,

Did you by chance read the bottom of post #16? It doesn't look like you can do a 2x3 call sign when starting off with the "N" prefix...Don't know why as they allow 2x3 call signs that start off with K or W. Look under "What Vanity Call Sign Choices are Available?" on the page you linked to...

I won't even suggest starting of with a K and then 0KMN :lmao:but you could be W0KMN :hill:. If it were me, I'd throw NN0KMN or NA0KMN on the app and then 1 or more of ones you know will work. Who knows, maybe it will slip through. The most that will happen is they will deny/dismiss the first 1 or 2 as being invalid and pick the next available one that is valid. Good luck!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Crap, dude. Yours isn't easy at all.

Taken
N0KMN
N4KMN

Available
K0TNK
K0MAN
N0KMA (canceled last year)
N4KFC (do you like fried chicken?)
N4KMZ
NK0MAN (but this may not be an option, as Jeff said)