Vanity call signs...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I always show up to the cool threads a few years later, so we'll see if anyone responds...

I am thinking about ditching KE0HHW in favor of something more meaningful (although Hotel Whiskey does have a cool sound to it).

It looks like K0TJS is available, TJS being my initials.

I thought K0TNP would also be cool. The :Princess: nickname is P.

K0TLC is not available. :( Beyond the obvious Toyota Land Cruiser connection, it would fit for myself, Leanne, and Cash.

It does look like K0PIG is available, but if I go with the license plate, I am not sure Leanne would want to drive around w/ a "PIG" license plate.

Any other ideas?

KD0WTF looks like it's available ;)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Keeping it simple to remember, for me and anyone else on the trail with me, seems the way to go. That's why I requested K0OMC and got it. Kay Zero Old Man Crase.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
http://www.arrl.org/applying-for-a-vanity-call
This is what I used and it was free a few months ago.

The FCC site asks if you are exempt from fees, but the only choice for both pull-downs is "No". But then, later in the process, the website says no fees are required. I guess it is just an outdated gov't website that may get fixed some year.

Thanks Steve!

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Edit: whoops, posted at the same time

whoa KD0WTF is really available? fun.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Last question for the morning - does anyone know if you have Collectors Plates, will they give you a Collector Plate with your Vanity Call Sign?

K0PIG was cancelled 2 years ago...

I just checked with the Dep't of Revenue - they will not do Collector Plates with your HAM call sign.

Call sign plates are green/white only.

Although not sure if they would issue K0PIG plates anyway. I know in some states they will not give vanity plates w/ "PIG" on them. Many 55 owners have tried...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I just checked with the Dep't of Revenue - they will not do Collector Plates with your HAM call sign.

Call sign plates are green/white only.

Although not sure if they would issue K0PIG plates anyway. I know in some states they will not give vanity plates w/ "PIG" on them. Many 55 owners have tried...
I wonder if the SCL plates would be different, you have to present your FCC license to be eligible and what are they going to say if you have a document that shows this is your call sign?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If I am reading Group C correctly, for Technician in Region 0 (or 10) we can get a single letter prefix of K, N, or W, followed by 0, then a 3 digit suffix.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_1&id=amateur

K0WTF is currently active :D

You got a two letter prefix when you passed your technician's exam right? So it would seem to me that KD or KE prefixes would still be available as an option, even though Group C doesn't specifically state it. But I haven't looked into the rules. I seem to remember something from way back in 2007 or 2008 that the two letter prefix may not be available for a vanity call sign, but only for an FCC-issued call sign. Which would match up with what Group C is saying.

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
I wonder if the SCL plates would be different, you have to present your FCC license to be eligible and what are they going to say if you have a document that shows this is your call sign?

They might! The woman at the Dep't of Revenue was very helpful, and said on the application for plates there is a field to "explain the meaning of the characters you have chosen":

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2810.pdf

I think since the collector plates are not an option, I will stay away from PIG as the call sign plates will go on a different vehicle.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I do think K0̸PIG is an awesome call sign. Do you have to stick with the 0̸? Maybe you could get K9PIG, which is even more memorable (and appropriate if you're a lover of dogs).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I do think K0̸PIG is an awesome call sign. Do you have to stick with the 0̸? Maybe you could get K9PIG, which is even more memorable (and appropriate if you're a lover of dogs).
It's no longer a requirement that you have to stay within your region, they are portable like phone numbers now. At one time you had to stay within your region's number. I think it's better if you do so other operators know quickly but I'm a traditionalist in this sense. More than a couple of times I've heard a non-zero call sign and think I have just tripped across a good path only to find it's just a transplant across town who kept his call sign. :doh:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I stuck with the zero for the same reason, but it also helped me spell my call sign.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I stuck with the zero for the same reason, but it also helped me spell my call sign.

You and Wes have the best call signs. :)

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
I thought K0PIG was pretty cool if I could put the call sign plates on the Pig.
Since I can't do call sign on collector plates, we'll probably put the plates on the 470, which my wife drives.
She was remarkably unenthusiastic about driving around with a license plate that said PIG, can't imagine why? :) So I am less stoked about K0PIG

K9PIG would be cool, but I also like sticking to "0" for authenticity while living in the region. Since we have a German Shepherd, I checked K9GSD, but of course it was taken.

Interestingly enough, the last person with K0PIG was not in region 0, she was in Iowa (of course). Her original call sign was N3VQA. She got K0PIG in May of 2010, and it looks like she died in January of 2011 :-( FCC cancelled the call sign in Feb of 2014.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I thought K0PIG was pretty cool if I could put the call sign plates on the Pig.
Since I can't do call sign on collector plates, we'll probably put the plates on the 470, which my wife drives.
She was remarkably unenthusiastic about driving around with a license plate that said PIG, can't imagine why? :) So I am less stoked about K0PIG

Are you going to put a mobile radio in the 470 or the 55 or both? I wouldn't put call sign plates on a vehicle with no radio. Besides your wife's lack of enthusiasm, having PIG on a 470 will be weird. I guess what I am trying to say is don't let license plates be an essential requirement. You could get a vinyl sticker or a custom license plate holder for the 55 with K0PIG, and it would be super cool.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
...or K0RUST ;)

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Are you going to put a mobile radio in the 470 or the 55 or both? I wouldn't put call sign plates on a vehicle with no radio. Besides your wife's lack of enthusiasm, having PIG on a 470 will be weird. I guess what I am trying to say is don't let license plates be an essential requirement. You could get a vinyl sticker or a custom license plate holder for the 55 with K0PIG, and it would be super cool.

Good call Matt, no reason to overthink the license plates.
I was thinking I would just stick with the hand-held unit until I get more experience. This would make it easier to go between the LX, Pig and 40 (soon, I swear!).
The LX will probably be the more often used rig for family trail runs based on how much Leanne is digging it!