• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

The Vinyl Thread

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know, just thinking of another more interesting way to test is to use a stop watch and play "Stairway to Heaven". It should be exactly 8 minutes and 2 seconds. You can calculate your TT speed error based on the actual time.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I got Marianne the Garth Brooks Legacy boxed set for Christmas. It came with both CD and Vinyl. She has shown interest now in getting a turntable.

So is there something say in the $400 range that is worth buying? And if not what is a realistic budget for something I would not want to replace down the road?

If it matters I’m partial to Yamaha when it comes to home audio.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Get a used dual. I’m partial to our 1019. And get a decent needle. I like the shure M97.

You can do both for under 200$ and maybe 100-150 depending on t deal you find on the turntable. I found ours on craigslist for $50 and all I had to do was clean it up a little.

You can find nicer but anything new under 4-500$ (Maybe much more) won’t touch it IMHO

Now..... I’m sure Steve and a few other here could recommend some serious equipment... I’m kinda the budget dude here

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have an older Pro-Ject Debut, it spins and makes sounds. I have no regrets in the least. But spending $400 new at this point I'd go with a Music Hall MMF-1.5 over the Debut Carbon.
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/music-hall-mmf-1-5-turntable

FWIW, there's a Carbon on the Denver CL for $300 currently:
https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/denver-pro-ject-debut-carbon-turntable/7043178513.html

Marco's recommendation of a Dual is cool, too.

There's a Technics 1210 Mk 2 on the GJ CL that would be a potential but he's asking more than your upper limit and looks like it's being sold by a DJ. The Technics 1200 is a vinyl legend and it has so much torque it could probably double as a winch motor and speed accurate to 0.000000000000001% (or close to that). IMO they aren't worth the hipster money they sell for though.
https://westslope.craigslist.org/ele/d/grand-junction-technics-1210-mk2/7039037972.html

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Either of Dave's choices for new are sound. You'd be very happy with the Music Hall or the Pro-ject and they come with the cartridge set up from the factory. This is a big thing as cartridge alignment is critical and not so easy to do at home, especially for someone who doesn't do it very often. The Music Hall has phono preamp built in so your money may be going towards something you don't need. If your amplifier/receiver has phono inputs already, then you spending $$ for something you don't need.
Marco's idea has merit but buying a 40 year old vibration measuring device can be a hit or miss gambit. We are talking about a device that has close tolerance bearings in the arm and the platter that have seen many years of service. Also, the Dual is a rim-drive 'table that would undoubtedly need idler rubber replacement by someone who knows how to do that sort of thing. Are replacement parts available, I wonder.
I'm really enjoying a new Rega P10 that came as an early Christmas present. Traded in the old VPI Aries that weighed about 75lbs total. The P10 weighs all of 11lbs and simply blows away the old 'table. Something to be said for modern technology!
Whichever way you go Corbet, it would be interesting to hear of your impressions between the two mediums. I know which one I think will sound better than the other. (y)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
R.I.P. Neal Peart. 67 is way too young to die.

Rush.jpeg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Corbet, any action on purchasing a ‘table yet? Another suggestion would be to check out U-Turn Audio. Not familiar with them but they build very inexpensive’ tables that look good and get good reviews. Prices start at around $180 including arm, I believe.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The entry level U-Turn seems worth the $180 insofar as it'll work and I imagine sound fine.

Do note that the base TT comes with a conical needle, which coupled with what seems like a pretty simple arm (doesn't look to me to have adjustable anti-skate and the weight adjustment seems pretty course) might result in higher than average groove wear. Maybe Steve has an opinion there, feeling on conical vs. elliptical?

I'd probably opt to bump to the Ortofon OM5e (not my favorite cartridge) or Grado, if you can afford it, option so tracking is set at the factory. Also IMO the lowest priced U-Turn is actually $220 since you have to add $40 if you want a cue lever.

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Personally I would go for the Orbit Plus for the extra $100, mainly for the platter material but the better cartridge adds to the value also. MDF platter material is so much more susceptible to dimensional change over time compared to the acrylic platter. A conical stylus can't retrieve as much info from the groove as even the simplest elliptical stylus can. Not sure what is meant by internal anti-skate and can't really comment of the coarseness of the counterweight adjustment. Looks to me, and I'm merely guessing from the picture, like a simple thumbscrew loosens and allows fore and aft movement of the counterweight which can be as accurate as your patience allows. Appears to me that a good stylus pressure gauge would be needed in addition to the 'table package. I found a good digital gauge on Amazon for $4 that is marketed by some big retailers for $50. It is every bit as accurate as my much more expensive Ortofon gauge. Overall, the Orbit Plus looks like a decent gateway 'table to get you started on the slippery vinyl slope.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
https://tinyurl.com/wea4xhy is the gauge mentioned in the previous post. I couldn't find the Hong Kong dealer I bought from through eBay but this California dealer's price of a little more than $10 including shipping is a good deal. Exact same unit that sells regularly for over $50 from the big audio retailers here in the States. Well worth the money and so much more accurate than the dial indicators on most arms that have them.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have what was called an LKG Digital Stylus Force Gauge that looks exactly like the one Steve posted. As he mentions I paid considerably more than $8 for it since I got it from the Needle Doctor about 6 years ago I think. It works just fine.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Now this madness is getting personal.

https://pitchfork.com/news/record-store-day-2020-postponed-due-to-coronavirus-concerns

"Record Store Day 2020 has been postponed as health concerns rise in the wake of the global coronavirus pandemic. Originally scheduled to take place on April 18, the global music event will now take place at participating record stores on Saturday June 20. “RSD acknowledges the need to be good citizens of both the local and worldwide communities while still giving our participating stores around the world the best chance to have a profitable, successful Record Store Day,” organizers said in a statement."

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Aw dang. I really want that record that is all covers of Wilco songs.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Have any of you ever checked out analogplanet.com ? Good site run by analog guru Michael Fremer. Lots of advertising but it's free and full of interesting info.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Corbet, any action on purchasing a ‘table yet? Another suggestion would be to check out U-Turn Audio. Not familiar with them but they build very inexpensive’ tables that look good and get good reviews. Prices start at around $180 including arm, I believe.

I never did. The wife wants a turntable one day then not the next. They are her records that she also has CD versions. So it’s really a novelty. I had records as a kid and always preferred cassettes anyway. Once CD’s came along I ditched my turntable. So for now I’m not pushing for one to simply play 4 records.

OHUZJ100

IMG_20200417_222231.jpg

I have the orbit plus w/ built in preamp. I love this set up. Great budget entry to turntables. If I had money to spend on the setup I would upgrade the stylus, but I don't lol. I did however change the mat to silicone. This goes to a 50 watt amp to drive my klipsch R-14M bookshelf speakers. This setup can DRIVE. Super clear up to full volume:headbang:. I have had the setup for three years!