The Vinyl Thread

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Should preface my reply in that I consider myself a practical audiophile, more about about the content when I spend my music budget. Which is partially why I have to DIY much of my hardware.

I guess you can't take it with you. Seems to me he's taking advantage of people who've gone off their rockers, but I guess what's collectible has always be subject to popular whim. In any case, hot stamping is pretty much snake oil (or worse) in my opinion. I'll pay a few bucks more to the record store for a known good copy but I'm talking like $50. Once the price goes north of about $25 I'm more likely to spend it on a new record from a contemporary band in any case.

Anyone familiar with how records used to be made and mastered would know that in a lot of cases the first pressings were done on Dynagroove machines and often are the worst sounding ones on modern turntables. They were mastered for the average record player found in the 1960s and 1970s, which were pretty lousy in comparison to even a $400 'table now. The later pressings or reissues are less harsh.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
We either get our records from the $1 or $5 bin at the store or occasionally buy a "nice" one from an online source if I can't find it in the store. My top dollar is like Dave, I'll give $40-$50 for a new nice copy but usually like to limit myself so more like $20-$30.

I'm not lucky enough to have inherited the collection Dad has (well he offered but my listening to records has rekindled his interest so I want so see him enjoy his) or have my own, so I have to buy.

I'f I had that kind of coin to spend on records I'd probably build another amp instead. I feel like the Tube amp provides much more enjoyment than a fancy pressing but that's just me.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I buy lots of $1 thrift store records, too, but I'll spend a few bucks at the shop for a record with listening notes or for new records for current bands. Most of the time a new LP is about $15 to $20 and I'm happy to pay it so an artist can keep on keeping on. Robert Plant doesn't see one penny from the hot stamper's inflated prices and even if he did he doesn't need it.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I guess its because I'm kind of tone deaf but I've never felt that a record offers better sound? I've always preferred the sound of a CD? Maybe I just never had that good of turn table. Just the one my dad bought in the 60's granted I know he dropped some money on it way back then.

That said I definitely noticed an improvement in sound from my new Yamaha R-S700 receiver over my older Yamaha.

But will I ever spend that kind of money on a black frisbee, hell no.

And if anyone wants some authentic 60's sound (crappy:p:) I have a pair of Sansui SP-200 speakers that could be had for a case of beer. One speaker needs a replacement woofer though. Happy to get them out of the garage.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
CDs are convenient and I still buy tons of them. Vinyl sales are one spot of growth many bands still have to be selective about media and almost everyone can play CDs so that is often where they spend their money. They're easy to transport, easy to sell at the show, etc. So I end up mostly with CDs of new and touring bands.

I also don't happen to find them offensive sounding like dyed in the wool audiophiles. However, that said, they don't sound the same as vinyl. Is it better or worse? That's in the eye of the beholder ultimately.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i have a box of records...i will gladly sell the entire box for $1000 :D

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I love records.
I don't have high end gear but good enough to hear the difference ..I still love the sound. Always have. My dad had a nice collection I grew up with and played a ton..my sister and I.

anyway just came into a couple boxes from my boss at work..widely varied collection. From jazz to poppiest of the 80s pop
To some really great classic country (George jones hank williams cash etc)
Then it shifts to nicely preserved ac/dc and metallica aerosmith and queen et al that sound perfect..beatles and elton john and ccr.. sinatra and ms streisand..really wide variety... been a fun coupla weeks going through it.

records2.jpg

records1.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Haha just found in the styx album was the original wall poster that looks like its never seen the light of day...too funny

styx.jpg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Awesome Styx poster. I had that logo as a belt buckle in high school.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thorens TD-280 mkII turntable that would yield a perfectly respectable and serviceable unit (if semi-auto is your thing). The cartridge was changed out from its original Stanton 500 for a Ortofon VMS 20e, which is an improvement. One could probably push back on price because it's not considered one of the desirable Thorens, but his asking is not terrible with the Ortofon cart.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5008385649.html

My local record shop (Downtown Sound in Loveland) had one of these for sale a year or two ago in fact.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Cool turntable. I don't need another one, but someone should buy it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
And the yang to the ying of your DIY turntable is to cut your own records on plastic picnic plates...

Crash

Rising Sun Member
So alcohol in your record cleaner or no?

Not sure I understand your question, DID (even though you aren't in Denver) :). Some cleaning formulations use alcohol, the purer the better, and some don't. My favorite these days is alcohol free and it does a better job than anything else I've tried, including alcohol based fluids. I also use lab-grade water to rinse after the cleaning cycle on my VPI HW17F machine. I use two different cleaning brushes and two different felt-lipped tubes so as to no commingle the fluids.
Just listened to side one of a British pressing of Chicago Transit Authority's 1969 release and all of a sudden, I was transported back to college - the power of music! :thumb:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The current thought is alcohol-free formulas are safer for the plasticizers in vinyl. So I've placed some L'Art du Son on order to give it a try (It'll be used in a Nitty Gritty 1.5). Isopropyl is supposed to be safe so my regular fluid being 4:1 distilled water:IPA + a drop of PhotoFlo as far as I can tell is neither here nor there but then again my old records are noisy so we'll see how the RCM improves them and if they are damaged or just dirty. Certainly is nice being a EE in this respect, we have 5 gallon jugs of pure IPA and unlimited de-ionized water for PCB cleaning. In any case I would save the ethanol for the turntable operator and avoid it on the records, that seems like it would be more aggressive than I'd want to risk.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The current thought is alcohol-free formulas are safer for the plasticizers in vinyl. So I've placed some L'Art du Son on order to give it a try (It'll be used in a Nitty Gritty 1.5). Isopropyl is supposed to be safe so my regular fluid being 4:1 distilled water:IPA + a drop of PhotoFlo as far as I can tell is neither here nor there but then again my old records are noisy so we'll see how the RCM improves them and if they are damaged or just dirty. Certainly is nice being a EE in this respect, we have 5 gallon jugs of pure IPA and unlimited de-ionized water for PCB cleaning. In any case I would save the ethanol for the turntable operator and avoid it on the records, that seems like it would be more aggressive than I'd want to risk.
My experience w/ L'Art du Son was that it was very good but it's shelf life, once it was combined with pure water, was very short. Make up a batch and use it all but be prepared to throw the mix away after a very short while or see less than a clear liquid going on your records in no time. That was ten years ago and a one bottle experiment and you know how things change with time so YMMV.
These products are my choice du jour: http://dagogo.com/osage-audios-audio-intelligent-vinyl-solutions-review
Superb weather for listening to the blues today. If your 'table is down, check out Sam Mayfield and his "All Blues" show on KUVO @ 89.3 on your FM dial between 4:00 and 6:00 pm right now.